Texas Hunting Forum

Smokehouse DIY?

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 04:25 AM

Anyone built a smokehouse for making smoked sausage, jerky, etc? Thinking of building a small one since I want to make some smoked sausages butI don't think my current will go low enough and I don't really want to buy another smoker right now.

Any tips/advice?
Posted By: djs303

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 05:33 AM

My son built one that is made out of framed 2x4's and corrugated tin. Looks a lot like an outhouse, LOL! Used a 55 gallon metal drum and some 6 inch chimney pipe and ran it through the back side for the fire box. I had to put a piece of tin on top of the pipe to spread the heat out as the sausage right above the pipe was getting more heat than the edges without the tin diverting the smoke and heat. Other than that I have been pretty impressed how good it works. The dimensions are 4x4 and it is 8 ft high. The sausage hangs at eye level and the pipe comes through the back about 2 foot off the ground. It will hold more sausage than I will ever come close to making at one time and I make 100 to 150 lbs at a time. I have also seen people re-purpose non working upright freezers or refrigerators to make smoke houses.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 05:49 AM

A used dishwasher or dryer cardboard box. Punch holes for wood dowels or steel rods to hang the meat on, An electric hot plate with a cast iron skillet for the smoke and heat generator. You can also use old oven racks for the shelves. Smoke stack use a vent stack for a water heater. You could build a wood rack to fit inside the box.

Bad side, it is only good for a couple of uses, and the weight limit on the rods or dowels is limited. It also loses heat quickly if it is cold, but a layer of builders foam insulation on the outside of the box helps retain the heat. Outside, high winds can destroy it and the hot plate can start a fire.

Good part, it is cheap, and you can experiment with it for when you design a permanent structure.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by djs303
My son built one that is made out of framed 2x4's and corrugated tin. Looks a lot like an outhouse, LOL! Used a 55 gallon metal drum and some 6 inch chimney pipe and ran it through the back side for the fire box. I had to put a piece of tin on top of the pipe to spread the heat out as the sausage right above the pipe was getting more heat than the edges without the tin diverting the smoke and heat. Other than that I have been pretty impressed how good it works. The dimensions are 4x4 and it is 8 ft high. The sausage hangs at eye level and the pipe comes through the back about 2 foot off the ground. It will hold more sausage than I will ever come close to making at one time and I make 100 to 150 lbs at a time. I have also seen people re-purpose non working upright freezers or refrigerators to make smoke houses.

Used to be a smoker in Runnels county that was an outhouse, the building was built by the WPA during the depression, a big one, it was a 2 holer when it was an outhouse. .
Posted By: Western

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 12:50 PM

Doc, Google DIY, or homemade smoke house, I did it once when I had an interest in it. Far more common the further east you go, and you will get a lot of ideas.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 01:02 PM

Here are several plans....lnk
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 01:57 PM

I think Payne had some pics of his on a previous post.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 06:19 PM

Skinnerback has one too.....
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/21/18 07:45 PM

My uncle back in Kentucky used old (all metal) refrigerators. The que and smoked meats and fish were top notch. Punched a hole in the side, put an old cast iron stove lid over the hole to control air, put another on top to control smoke, used a piece of pipe leading from the bottom hole to an old steel wheel where the fire was placed. When the heat and being outside would rust it out - he would go get 'nother one and reuse his lids and the wheel/pipe. Dude was probably the cheapest and most ingenious man I ever knew. Hillbilly engineering at its best.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 12:18 AM

I had a thread on here on the one I built. I looked but it seems to be gone. It's 7' x 6', I used some scrap tin and 2x4's. Put some screw in hooks to hold closet rod for hanging sausage. PB kidnapped my pics, I can take some more if you want.

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Payne
I had a thread on here on the one I built. I looked but it seems to be gone. It's 7' x 6', I used some scrap tin and 2x4's. Put some screw in hooks to hold closet rod for hanging sausage. PB kidnapped my pics, I can take some more if you want.

Did you just use tin for the walls? What are you heating with?

I'm thinking of using a propane burner for heat and a separate smoke source like cast iron mentioned above or one of the saw dust contraptions I've seen on amazon
Posted By: Cast

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 02:48 AM

I think I would use a cold smoke kit for the masterbuilt smoker. How hot does it need to be inside? I’m thinking of that 4x4x8 heavy box blind I have out back.

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 04:07 AM

For sausage, I've mostly seen ~160F.

I'd really like to build something I could smoke low but also be able to take higher for pork butts, brisket, etc. Not sure if that's realistic though.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308
Did you just use tin for the walls? What are you heating with?

Tin on the walls & door and corrugated roof. I have a old bbq pit I use to smoke, it gets up to 160 easily

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/22/18 11:37 PM

That's living the dream right there!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/24/18 02:51 AM

That is one awesome looking set up right there Payne.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Smokehouse DIY? - 11/27/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
That's living the dream right there!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum