Texas Hunting Forum

Sign post project

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Sign post project - 10/22/18 03:22 AM

My wife bought a sign for our property for our anniversary and wanted it hung on a wooden post as pictured by the vendor...think wooden mailbox post.

Sign in roughly 3x2 feet oval. Too big for standard mailbox post.

I watched a couple youtube videos on making a half lap joint and bought some cedar posts and went for it. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Not very impressive for many of you I know, but I thought it turned out well for a first attempt. I like woodworking....just lack for a lot of skill.

Posted By: PMK

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 02:56 PM

up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 04:03 PM

It's going to look good when finished. Sure hope you have better luck with signs and mailboxes than we do, friggen kids like to beat them up with bats or run over them.

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
It's going to look good when finished. Sure hope you have better luck with signs and mailboxes than we do, friggen kids like to beat them up with bats or run over them.

Thanks.

It’s about 20 feet off the road and across a ditch. They’ll have to put in some effort to hit it with a bat. Beer bottles might be another story....
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 05:01 PM

Nothing wrong with that work. Looks good.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Nothing wrong with that work. Looks good.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sign post project - 10/22/18 11:46 PM

cheers

Who mows?

Re: Sign post project - 10/23/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
cheers

Who mows?

No one currently. Property is a work in progress and after 10 inches of rain this month, good luck getting a tractor over it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Sign post project - 11/03/18 10:50 AM

Good job Doc, put some over priced linseed oil on it and it will last a long time.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Sign post project - 11/04/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
cheers

Who mows?

City folks gonna city.

Post looks good doc
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Sign post project - 11/15/18 02:42 PM

Good job, so much better than I could have done.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sign post project - 11/15/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by bill oxner
cheers

Who mows?

City folks gonna city.

Post looks good doc

clap
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Sign post project - 11/22/18 02:14 PM

If you need a good finish on that cedar, the wife finally found something that lasts. Regardless of advertisements, no varnish lasts for extended periods and we gave up on varnish. We tried em all on the cedar outdoor furniture I built. The finish that lasts, and I’m talking years, is made by Behr. Home Depot sells it. They call it a stain, but it’s really a coating, and it comes in a lot of colors. The can is in the barn, so if you want to know what the actual name is, I can go look.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum