Texas Hunting Forum

Preventing Cedar Post Rot

Posted By: DannyB

Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/19/18 07:39 PM

Anybody used this product called Postsaver? I have a Western Red Cedar post I want to use for my mailbox.

https://rocking-horse-industries.myshopify.com/collections/postsaver-products

Posted By: maximum

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/19/18 08:02 PM

pour a concrete pier with a steel bracket, and bolt
your post to that. you can be creative enough that
you can hide the pier and bracket with paint or
polyurethane or something
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/19/18 09:21 PM

We always just set them in quikrete sack cement....dig the hole put the post in the hole....add a gallon or two of water and pour in sacks of cement. Tamping with a bar around the post will mix the cement and water.....let set overnight....
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/19/18 09:45 PM

You could coat the post with roof asphalt that goes in the ground with gravel on bottom of hole for water drainage.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/19/18 10:57 PM

In my experience wooden posts set with concrete filled to level of grade rot quickly at ground level as you mentioned.

If I set wood posts, I dig a 24 inch hole, fill with about 18 inches of concrete. Then back fill with dirt. I know for a fact of some are still solid 20 years later.

My understanding is it allows water to drain away and the post to dry.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/20/18 12:10 AM

I got it from a friend that has a sawmill. He said not to use concrete.

I may try that product I posted. Its cheap enough. I may still put that in gravel. If I get several years out of it I'm happy.

Thanks!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/20/18 03:29 AM

We have some cedar fence posts that were set in dirt in 1950 that are still in place.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/20/18 11:41 AM

I just remembered, Home Depot and Lowes sell a closed cell foam kit in a two part bag. You burst the devider to mix components. I used it setting some metal poles in a special application. It would would provide a moisture barrier as well.

Cant remember the name.

Danny, lets us knkw how Polesaver installed.

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/20/18 04:20 PM

Go to a farm and ranch supplier that sells fencing materials, get a rough cedar fence post that was cut as a ranch fence post. It will take a little more time to get it set up to attach the mailbox, but it will look good, and last. Probably be best to use a chainsaw to cut the square notch for the mailbox ledge.
Posted By: Western

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/20/18 05:10 PM

The point is to get water away from the post, that is why the photo shows the material above grade, you do the same with cement, slope up to post to drain to grade. Same with any post, wood, steel. Areas that retain a lot of moisture, standing water, you'd be smart to add a waterproofing admix like coprox
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/21/18 02:20 AM

Contrary to popular belief, termites will eat cedar. Kill them while you’re at it
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/21/18 02:28 AM

To significantly slow down rot, and insect degradation of wood, do not ever let it touch the ground, much less inside it.

Set steel posts in concrete. To step up to "our live you", prime the steel, three coats, prior to setting it in concrete.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/23/18 06:26 PM

Use cedar post that’s cut in summer when the sap is up in post
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/24/18 06:10 PM

Make sure to pull the bark off the portion of the post that is in the ground.
Posted By: don k

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/24/18 06:29 PM

The heart of a good cedar will never rot. The heart is the red part in the center of the post. The amount of heart is dictated by how old the cedar was before being cut. I have seen 6 inch diameter post that were just about all heart and have seen the same diameter post that had maybe 2 inches of heart. I can show you cedar post here that I set over 50 years ago and there is no rot.

Re: Preventing Cedar Post Rot - 09/24/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
The heart of a good cedar will never rot. The heart is the red part in the center of the post. The amount of heart is dictated by how old the cedar was before being cut. I have seen 6 inch diameter post that were just about all heart and have seen the same diameter post that had maybe 2 inches of heart. I can show you cedar post here that I set over 50 years ago and there is no rot.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum