Texas Hunting Forum

12x16 cedar pergola

Posted By: BigPig

12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 02:20 PM

Putting the plans together for my 12x16 cedar pergola> Going to have power for a fan, lights, and speakers. Will have pull down shades on the south and west sides to block the sun, neighbors annoying lights that shine into my yard, and most of all prying eyes. We will be installing a TV on the covered section of the patio. Stick around for the build, with the weather and my work schedule this should take longer the FJG's shop build peep
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 02:43 PM

following. Been thinking of doing something similar.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 05:06 PM

I'm beyond sick of the weather.

It rains every day.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 06:14 PM

You're not near as lazy as JG it'll go pretty quick
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

I belive the gloves just came off...... duel

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
Originally Posted By: Ramball36

I belive the gloves just came off...... duel

Mike is being sarcastic. He even knows he can't keep up with me.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 08:10 PM

I can't let you get too far up on me in jabs

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 08:22 PM

True
Posted By: txshntr

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/29/15 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Putting the plans together for my 12x16 cedar pergola> Going to have power for a fan, lights, and speakers. Will have pull down shades on the south and west sides to block the sun, neighbors annoying lights that shine into my yard, and most of all prying eyes. We will be installing a TV on the covered section of the patio. Stick around for the build, with the weather and my work schedule this should take longer the FJG's shop build peep

Go with bigger members, I like the thicker post and deeper beams, then work up from there. Most of them that we build are "3 layer"; beams, joist and slats.

Going with cedar? Also, looks good with bolts in the beams rather than screws like most people do. Use a template for the decorative ends on the rafters. Depending on how you decide the final look to be, might think about adding the arched gussets attached the post, looks pretty good.

Good luck and keep us updated cheers
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/30/15 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Go with bigger members, I like the thicker post and deeper beams...

This might be sig worthy....just a though bro clap

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/30/15 05:09 AM

Go with bigger members, I like the thicker post and deeper beams, then work up from there. Most of them that we build are "3 layer"; beams, joist and slats.

Going with cedar? Also, looks good with bolts in the beams rather than screws like most people do. Use a template for the decorative ends on the rafters. Depending on how you decide the final look to be, might think about adding the arched gussets attached the post, looks pretty good.

Can you see into my head? geekfreak

Looking at using 10x10 posts, with 3x10 joists, and 2x4 slats. The slats are going to be laid down, with the top of them beveled to promote water runoff. I'm laying them down for more shade. I have built a few of these in the past, and absolutely love doing it, but they take me a long time because I don't like asking for help. I do all my joints with a circular saw and then finish with a chisel. The joints are tight enough that I probably don't need screws.
Posted By: John2

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/30/15 05:06 PM

I like this one without the rocks.

This one to.

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/30/15 08:00 PM

They both look like someone forgot to put the tin on top. Ive never understood a pergola. Why not put a roof on?
Posted By: pertnear

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/30/15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
They both look like someone forgot to put the tin on top. Ive never understood a pergola. Why not put a roof on?

LOL...You & I think alike! But I found out that some of the property owner associations or building ordinances require the roof to match. Usually due to pitch, cost etc. that is not always feasible. Pergola is a fancy alternative.

FWIW

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 05/31/15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: pertnear
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork

LOL...You & I think alike! But I found out that some of the property owner associations or building ordinances require the roof to match. Usually due to pitch, cost etc. that is not always feasible. Pergola is a fancy alternative.

FWIW

If we roofed it we had to do 2 things. 1) had to be same shingles 2) had to tie back into the existing roof.

We like the open feel of a pergola, yes it provides some shade, but doesn't kill the outdoor atmosphere like having a solid roof over your head.
Posted By: CenTex

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/02/15 02:48 AM

I am also about to start one. My patio is 10'x30'. Lumber alone without hardware is around $3000. I have got pricing from McCoys and Redood Inc. Anyone recommend a place to buy redwood at a cheaper price?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/02/15 02:56 AM

Can you see into my head? geekfreak

Looking at using 10x10 posts, with 3x10 joists, and 2x4 slats. The slats are going to be laid down, with the top of them beveled to promote water runoff. I'm laying them down for more shade. I have built a few of these in the past, and absolutely love doing it, but they take me a long time because I don't like asking for help. I do all my joints with a circular saw and then finish with a chisel. The joints are tight enough that I probably don't need screws.

cheers Built a few and truly think they look great if done right. People build them for different purposes, but they have a place and provide a look that can definitely enhance a setting.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/12/15 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: John2
I like this one without the rocks.

This one to.

That first pic is a pure party, complete with the 'Cracker-barrel' dancers. banana

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/12/15 02:45 PM

TXSHNTR--- you got a place to get good cedar? Most of what I'm finding has cracks and gouges and they still want a kidney for it, which they can have if they take the stone with it.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/12/15 02:58 PM

Call my buddy Jim(the owner) for a great deal and it will be put up in about 2 hours or less.

Tell him Rick sent ya.......he has built 5 structures for me and I have known him for 20 years

http://www.discountgazebos.com/index.htm

look at his photo gallery......he is the best around and you don't have to sweat or spend much more than it will cost you to do yourself.

PS.........cash talks

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/12/15 03:11 PM

Thx for the heads up 64. Based on his pricing I'm looking at just over $5k for the pergola. I'll give him a call and see if he has financing. I was planning on doing this in steps as money allowed and to not pile on the work for myself.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/13/15 02:36 AM

Call Phillips lumber in dekalb. Bought all the material there to build my cabin and also the hardwood for my dad's house this last year.

Walter
Posted By: John2

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/13/15 02:52 AM

http://www.realcedar.com/retailer/braundera-lumber/
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/15/15 12:56 PM

Cedar Creek Building Materials, Carrollton, Ask for Chris or "Beaner"...
Posted By: jackcountyhunter

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 06/16/15 09:10 PM

Call Leroy Jordans in Dallas. I just bought all my cedar for my patio cover. my covering is 14x14 and I only spent about $1100 for the material minus the shingles for the roof.
Posted By: Gusval

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 10/29/15 01:41 AM

I've built 2 pergola using cedar lumber. Post are 6",beams are 10",rafters 8" and purlins were 2"x2" Here is the last one I built that looks similar to the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVeD6MxxqZY
Posted By: Tbar

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 10/29/15 02:27 PM

This is one we did a couple of years ago here in town.

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 10/29/15 05:22 PM

Tbar- I'm still jealous of your backyard

Re: 12x16 cedar pergola - 10/29/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Gusval
I've built 2 pergola using cedar lumber. Post are 6",beams are 10",rafters 8" and purlins were 2"x2" Here is the last one I built that looks similar to the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVeD6MxxqZY

That looks amazing, and way above my skill level
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum