Texas Hunting Forum

Lets talk Lawns

Posted By: txtrophy85

Lets talk Lawns - 10/05/14 12:08 PM

My lawn is kaput, past the point of no return and I'm going to re-sod my entire lawn.

my wife likes the look of St. Augustine, I am indifferent about its looks and don't particularly care for its need for water but I do like the price of the sod.

I live in san Antonio, which as you know is hot and rainfall can be infrequent. Did not want to go with a common Bermuda but was open to other suggestions.

Anyone have any tips?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/05/14 01:31 PM

Do you have shade?

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/05/14 09:34 PM

Only in the late evenings. It's a pretty sunny lot

Killed my front lawn today with roundup so need to figure out something soon
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/05/14 10:14 PM

I would not use St. Augustine with water restriction in SA. Look at Bermuda (Tifway 419) Gulf Grown or one of the other Bermuda grasses since they will take less water. I went with Comanche Brand Bermuda grass seed from Pogue Agri Partners in Kenedy. I also had looked into Zoysia but decide against it.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/05/14 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would not use St. Augustine with water restriction in SA. Look at Bermuda (Tifway 419) Gulf Grown or one of the other Bermuda grasses since they will take less water. I went with Comanche Brand Bermuda grass seed from Pogue Agri Partners in Kenedy. I also had looked into Zoysia but decide against it.

we had Zoysia when I was in high school and I liked it.

Two things about the St. Augustine that makes sense to me, even though I do not particularly care for it:

the right side of my lawn is in st. Augustine and that side looks great, its green and healthy and I do not want to tear that side out if I don't have to.

My neighbors have st. Augustine and I think I would be constantly fighting new st. Augustine runners if I went with a Bermuda type grass.

I'm going to have to use sod, not seeds so the cost factor is not the fore runner but is a consideration.

El Toro Zoysia is nice but it requires about the same amount of water as St. Augustine

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 12:06 AM

If the rest of your yard and the neighbors yard is St Augustine then I would go with that. Leave it tall, you can make it survive the summer heat without daily watering. I had a very thick and healthy SA lawn and only watered every 4th day for 5minutes. With proper maintenance and fertilizer that's all thats needed.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
If the rest of your yard and the neighbors yard is St Augustine then I would go with that. Leave it tall, you can make it survive the summer heat without daily watering. I had a very thick and healthy SA lawn and only watered every 4th day for 5minutes. With proper maintenance and fertilizer that's all thats needed.

I'm torn between that and the Bermuda Celebration

I like the celebration....don't really have any issues with it. it isn't as vibrant green as the st. Augustine but seems to do well choking out weeks. From what I've seen it doesent have issues with fungus and bugs.

I'm just not crazy about dumping a ton of water on my st. Augustine lawn but I think that maybe the best choice....still going to look into the Bermuda Celebration.

St. Augustine would be easier to install though.....
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 12:42 AM

Try to google some articles about Las Vegas lawns. Climate is pretty comparable. They have really got on the bandwagon of low maintenance, low water usage yards. Part will depend on the style home, and your neighbors may not appreciate your choice. Go with more western desert and you can eliminate mowing and fertilizing.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Try to google some articles about Las Vegas lawns. Climate is pretty comparable. They have really got on the bandwagon of low maintenance, low water usage yards. Part will depend on the style home, and your neighbors may not appreciate your choice. Go with more western desert and you can eliminate mowing and fertilizing.

I Xeriscape my lawn and i'll get hung up at the HOA meeting.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 02:52 AM

Maybe plant a few trees with nice mulch beds around them?

Clarify: So you won't have to water so much grass.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

How did your truck with the rhinoliner paint job get past HOA regs?

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 06:14 PM

uhhh, its a truck not real estate and not regulated by HOA bylaws
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 09:24 PM

Look at Floratam, I've had good luck with it. Deeper root system, more tolerant to drought & fungus/disease. Thick pretty green...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 10:04 PM

My recommendation is don't have an hoa and mow what got put there to grow grin

No way I would plant St. Augustine.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/06/14 10:49 PM

uhhh, its a truck not real estate and not regulated by HOA bylaws

Back to your yard, what about TPC section 202.007 ?? Not certain about the Senate bill 198.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/07/14 01:59 AM

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/buffalo.html
Posted By: cody

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/07/14 04:17 AM

Love mySt Augustine...best barefoot grass there is. We're drier than the Sahara here. I water once a week. It's in good shape.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/07/14 12:21 PM

2 acres of Bermuda at home, 70 acres of Bermuda in Wolfe City. It gets watered only when God decides to water it. Dab of Nitrogen in May and mow it 3 1/2" till June, then as tall as the mower will go through the summer. MSMA and Grayzon keeps it weed free.

I predict all landscape irrigation will become illegal one day. Too many folks have moved to Texas and there's only so much water to go round.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/08/14 12:50 AM

The only thing in my HOA rule book is that I must have a Bermuda type yard, no St Augustine . It says nothing about turf, I'm really leaning to the new artificial turfs and just keeping low maintenance plants in the beds. Yes it's expensive, but I'll never have to mow or water again, maybe just keep my blower for leaves, other then that it's pretty maintenance free.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/08/14 06:35 PM

But I can make a burn pile in my Bermuda yard and in a month it grows back over. What happens on turf when you start a fire?
Posted By: 68A

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 03:40 AM

buffalo grass
Posted By: n-all

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 01:42 PM

see above,,

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 07:29 PM

[quote=skinnerback]Look at Floratam, I've had good luck with it. Deeper root system, more tolerant to drought & fungus/disease. Thick pretty green...[/quote

this is what I'm going with.

pretty drought tolerant from what I'm being told

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 07:34 PM

[quote=skinnerback]Look at Floratam, I've had good luck with it. Deeper root system, more tolerant to drought & fungus/disease. Thick pretty green...[/quote

up Yes sir it is. I'll be laying a few more pallets of it too this spring.

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I'll post up a pic of mine here in the next few weeks when I get it done.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 07:41 PM

Green up peep

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/10/14 07:45 PM

Will be watching for it. Once it takes root it gets real perty.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/11/14 12:13 AM

It will be a hard fight to win, but I see a day where it will IF I live long enough
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I predict all landscape irrigation will become illegal one day. Too many folks have moved to Texas and there's only so much water to go round.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/11/14 12:14 AM

It will be Bermuda in a couple years
Originally Posted By: 68A
buffalo grass

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 12:36 AM

Got the lawn put in today

Looks great but was alot of work.

I'm pooped
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 12:44 AM

what did you end up getting?

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 01:16 AM

I ended up going with Raleigh ST. Augustine

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 01:36 AM

scratch
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 11:43 AM

Smart move! up
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

Smart move! up

I thought that was the kind he wasn't supposed to get or was it a different st aug?

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 05:24 PM

scratch

the floratam was a special order and I had to buy it by the pallet.

the Raliegh was by the piece...I ended up using 2 pallets and 30 pieces

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 05:25 PM

LOL, gotcha.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Lets talk Lawns - 10/23/14 11:35 PM

I'm getting a couple of loads of bank sand sped over mine this week. It's 38 years old and some rough spots.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum