Texas Hunting Forum

DIY Spice Cabinet Builds

Posted By: BobG

DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 02:54 AM

I built my first Spice Rack about a year ago for the house. I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it, and adding the Hot Sauce shelf on the bottom was last minute, so I had to improvise in the end. It holds 40 spices total, 10 per shelf, has a shelf on the bottom for hot sauce and is made out of oak.

After I built mine, all of my family, friends and co-workers asked me to build them one as well. I built one for Momma to mimic the same design as above, but painted orange. (Don't have a pic of it.)

Then I built one for my co-worker a few months back.

I knew I wanted to go with the same basic design as my first, but with a different type of wood and designed a little better grin. It holds 20 spices, 10 per shelf,has a shelf for hot sauce and is made out of MDF.

I really liked this design, so I built a few more the same way and sold them to a few other friends. (Don't have pics of those)

Then a good buddy asked for one a little different, to go above his kitchen sink. So I planned it out, and built it out of MDF as well. It holds 40 spices, 20 per shelf, and 12 Home Brew Beer Bottles on the bottom.

After building the last one, I decided to go a different direction. Something that was lighter, and that I could stain, and made of better quality material.

So I planned out a new one without a bottom shelf, and decided to put a door on it and stained it. The Unit Frame, Shelves and Door Frame are all made out of Premium 3/4" Whitewood, backing is 1/4" Birch, dowels are 3/8" Oak, glass is .080" Acrylic and it's all stained in Red Oak. Put a magnet kit on it to keep the door closed, black hinges, felt bumpers to keep it from slamming shut, Sawtooth Hangers to mount and a Rustic finish Texas Star Knob. It turned out great and is darn good quality IMO.

I don't have someone lined up to buy this one, but I am hoping it will sell easily. They won't come with jars unless requested, but are built to hold 3.5" tall, 1.75" wide spice bottles that can be bought just about anywhere. In the end, I'm thinking I could build about a dozen and sell them fairly easily between the THF Classifieds, Craigslist and Facebook Garage Sell Groups for $60-75. If they sell, ok, I will build more and go from there.

What do y'all think of them? Opinions, suggestions? I will likely take a router to the outside edge of the door frame on the next set to give it a nice accent.
Posted By: texretvet

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 11:04 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 11:57 AM

You'd throw up if you saw how I keep mine.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 01:21 PM

How much for something like that last one but made to hold shotglasses?
Posted By: BobG

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 03:12 PM

PM sent birddog

I've had a few folks ask for shot glass cases and am planning to build a few over the next couple weeks with about the same design as the last one. Price will depend on how large, due to cost of the acrylic. Anywhere from 40-60+ if it's real large.

If anyone else is interested, let me know.
Posted By: East

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/11/14 03:17 PM

Very nice Bob
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/12/14 02:34 AM

Nice up
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/14/14 12:14 AM

Those all look nice!
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 09/14/14 12:21 AM

Very nice work
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: DIY Spice Cabinet Builds - 10/07/14 08:44 PM

Love them all, but really like the last one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum