Texas Hunting Forum

Painting Baseboards. Any Tips?

Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 02:16 AM

My house has a 6" baseboard and then a quarter round piece at the base of the baseboard on top of the wood floor. Painting the 6" baseboard isn't a big problem, but painting that little quarter round piece right at the wood floor is a major pain.

Are there any tricks that can help with this process or do you just have to gut it out and creep along with a piece of paper stuck between the wood floor and the quarter round as a guard to keep from getting paint on the floor?

Any tips or tricks, if there are any, would be appreciated. I have a long ways to go before I'm done! I guess I should say I'm not painting for the first time, I'm re-painting them because over the last 5 years they've become nicked up, dinged and dirty.
Posted By: KC

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 02:36 AM

Steady hand and a wet rag...
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 02:52 AM

Quarter round is pretty cheap...Might be better off to take off the old and paint your baseboards...Then buy some new paint it and nail it down...
Posted By: Bildo

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 02:52 AM

Tape it off with frog tape
Posted By: John2

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 02:53 AM

You can put masking tape on the floor next to the quarter round or buy a type of blue tape for that purpose.
Posted By: texretvet

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 03:49 AM

I'm gonna have to do this same job pretty soon. Not looking forward to it.

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 04:35 AM

I think I'll try the tape idea, see if that speeds the process any. I think they sell that 4" blue tape and that will help with any splatters from rolling the base boards.

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 12:00 PM

Use the frog tape not blue it keeps the paint from bleeding under better
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt Only
I think I'll try the tape idea, see if that speeds the process any. I think they sell that 4" blue tape and that will help with any splatters from rolling the base boards.

Rolling the base boards???

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 03:19 PM

Uh oh, should I not use a roller on the baseboards? I have a little 4" roller I've been using. Seems to do a good job. Should I not be rolling them?

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 04:49 PM

Are you using oil base paint? I guess the roller is ok if you like the results. Typically applied with a brush. Roller is not gonna get in the cracks or top edge. Probalbly ok for the flat face I guess
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 05:28 PM

2 inch tape on floor and walls. Then start slapping the paint on, with a BRUSH, not a roller. Took me 1 day to do crown, doors, and base boards for a 1700 sq foot house. It's not hard, just a little time consuming.

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 06:18 PM

No, not using an oil based paint. It's a latex. It's the paint the builder used. They gave it to me in a little kit of touch up paints.

So the reason for the brush instead of a roller is to fill in the little cracks, chips, etc. ???
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 02/24/14 06:54 PM

You can use a roller, just slick it out with a high quality brush and the paint will lay down better. I can certainly see where a long knap roller would make it easier to apply the paint, but it might leave behind an undesirable texture on something that shouldn't have texture.
Posted By: Benz

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 08/03/14 03:45 AM

I started to paint them and then ended up hiring them done
Posted By: EdRoth

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 08/06/14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: John2
You can put masking tape on the floor next to the quarter round or buy a type of blue tape for that purpose.

This
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 08/13/14 03:15 PM

Wife won't let me near the inside of the house with a paint brush!

I had to work hard to get this! Just like I'm banned from weed eating anywhere around the outside of the house or anywhere near flower beds..... peep
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Painting Baseboards. Any Tips? - 08/27/14 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
Steady hand and a wet rag...
+1, I hate tape and never use it. My ex used it and every where she did I have to redo. I use a long edge tool. I t kind of resembles a big putty knife.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum