Texas Hunting Forum

Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 02/26/13 03:58 AM

I have seen several people already putting in their gardens. Looks like we will be getting down into the lower 20's friday night. So, if youve already planted, be sure to cover your plants.

We put in our seed potatoes, onion sets and garlic cloves this last weekend, waiting on everything else for now.

All the fruit trees in my orchard already have buds, hopefully I get fruit this year.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 02/26/13 04:01 AM

Planting potatoes this Wednesday should be good as Weather.com says were expecting a low of 32. I have a heck of a stand of peas and brocolli that i will try to cover. farmer
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 02/26/13 04:31 AM

Still have everything in my portable greenhouse, as long as it doesn't get below 28 should be good.. But might roll the darn thing into the house if needed!
Posted By: cmc

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 02/26/13 03:51 PM

All I got in is onions everything else is in the grow room under lights. If your fruit trees are budding you can put the old school Christmas lights with the big glass bulbs in em and leave em on till the weather passes. It'll keep the frost off the blooms and give just enough heat to keep from freezing.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/08/13 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
All I got in is onions everything else is in the grow room under lights. If your fruit trees are budding you can put the old school Christmas lights with the big glass bulbs in em and leave em on till the weather passes. It'll keep the frost off the blooms and give just enough heat to keep from freezing.
That's a great idea. My Peach trees haven't bloomed yet so should be OK. Nectarines and Plums have bloomed. They SHOULD be OK. If it gets down in the 20s, all bets are off.
Posted By: Reese

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/14/13 06:19 PM

Rest of the year clear
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/14/13 06:27 PM

The original post was from Feb. 25th.
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/14/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Reese
Rest of the year clear

I sure hope your right.
Posted By: Reese

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/14/13 07:16 PM

Im like Wesley Snipes in Passenger 57. Never wrong and always bet on black.
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Hard freeze coming- cover your gardens - 03/27/13 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Reese
Im like Wesley Snipes in Passenger 57. Never wrong and always bet on black.

Had a light freeze monday night. The green beans are toast. Potatoes and squash took a little hit. Hopefully most of it survives.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum