Texas Hunting Forum

Removing scratches from wood floors

Posted By: CSF

Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/04/13 03:44 PM

Have a "clawy" dog inside the house that scratches our wood floors whenever she runs inside the house. The scratches do not take the finish off, rather they are more like indentations on the floor.

Any DIY remedies to fix these scratches? I want to avoid sanding and refinishing the floors but may have to.
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/04/13 03:47 PM

When someone brings me a gun stock with dents in it, here's what I do.
I take a washcloth and dampen it, then take the wife's iron and set it to medium high.
Place the wet washcloth over the scratch or dent and run the iron across it a few times, it raises the grain in the wood.
I would try this in a non conspicuous area first, it might work on floors too.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/04/13 05:01 PM

Just go this in an email from Sears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHpeg4fn...mp;ruid=2001438

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/04/13 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll try both! I might have some almonds in the pantry and I'm sure my wife can show me how to use an iron wink
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/04/13 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: CSF
Thanks for the info. I'll try both! I might have some almonds in the pantry and I'm sure my wife can show me how to use an iron wink

trout Don't let her teach how to use the iron nidea you will be using it all the time loco
Posted By: hardheadeddoe

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/05/13 05:08 AM

use a walnut, not the shell but the meat. rub it over the scratch, should fill it in (depending on how deep they are). can polish over it to blend it in.

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 01/14/13 06:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked. Now I have to convince my wife to try to ignore the scratches until we decide to re-sand and re-finish them. Maybe a few strategically placed mats will help her forget...
Posted By: BoomStick

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/03/13 03:04 AM

I bought a kit from Home Depot for my floors. It is a set of paint pens I think. Have a variety of colors to match the flooring. Havent used them just yet, still finishing up our remodel. Then i will get into the touch up phase.
Posted By: hallfns

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/03/13 04:32 PM

Man I hate to be the guy.... The only guarntee I give on wood: It is going to scratch and it is going to dent.

It is wood and you are walking on it. Somtimes I wish I sold diamonds...
Posted By: Shifty

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/08/13 07:03 PM

We ended up going with a VCT product that looks just like wood but things bounce off it...no more wood floors for me.
Posted By: FishHuntTx

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/08/13 08:17 PM

If the dog isn't going anywhere, then don't worry about it.

That's why I prefer wood floors that are scuffed up. It's a floor. It's not supposed to look perfect.

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/12/13 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FishHuntTx
If the dog isn't going anywhere, then don't worry about it.

That's why I prefer wood floors that are scuffed up. It's a floor. It's not supposed to look perfect.

That's what I say. My wife doesn't share the same opinion though. So I told her to keep her head up when she's walking through the room.

She said fine, and passed me the broom and mop because she said she cant clean the floors without looking at them. frown
Posted By: John2

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/13/13 01:34 AM

You need to find a indentation tool and do the whole floor to give it that distressed look.You can thank me later smile
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/13/13 05:19 AM

You mop a wood floor? Damp mop I suppose. Have you thought about throwing the "clawy" dog outside?
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 02/17/13 07:19 AM

When we had our floors stained, the contractor told me that if we get scratches in the Urethane sealer, spray any solvent with Xylene in it (most commonly Goof Off) and that would liquify the sealer and level itslef out. Never had the cojones to actually try it, though. Lemme k ow how it works!
Posted By: Reese

Re: Removing scratches from wood floors - 03/14/13 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

can anyone tell me the shade of lipgloss this guy is wearing? I love it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum