Texas Hunting Forum

Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/09/24 07:06 PM

Does anyone use Trophy Rock or other types of minerals for deer? If you do, when do you put them out and do they really work? Does it help with antlers and does that are lactating?
Posted By: jskin

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/09/24 07:47 PM

They will hit it if around feeder, wouldn’t say they go out if their way for it. Just candy
Posted By: PMK

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/09/24 07:56 PM

I've tried Trophy Rock around various different ranches decent success. I normally put it out around my feeders.

Out at my west TX place SW from Ozona, one of the rocks lasts 8-9 months,

around central TX, they last 3-4 months

East TX, 6-9 months.

Deer seem to really like it, hogs are hit or miss
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/10/24 01:17 AM

My experience is with hit it until the hogs hit it enough to make it nasty. Then they leave it alone.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/10/24 01:27 AM

Have used Trophy Rocks in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas with great results. Normally dig a hole and bury one, then place one on top. Public land with no feeders. The deer and hogs will dig a knee deep hole to get the last bits. Hogs don’t seem to bother the deer, as I have seen both on the rock within 30 minutes of each other.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/10/24 01:16 PM

TSC mineral blocks are the preferred mineral by the deer where I hunt. They also request a sulphur block occasionally.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/10/24 05:12 PM

Mine disappear in about 6 months
Posted By: PanamaZ

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/14/24 03:16 PM

i was curious to see what would happen, so I put out Treeline Berry Craze mineral block and an Apple Addiction protein block in the same pen that pigs can't get to (we have a lot of pigs). Currently, the deer are hitting the Berry mineral block hard and ignoring the protein block. Will be interesting to see if this changes with the seasons.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/14/24 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by PanamaZ
i was curious to see what would happen, so I put out Treeline Berry Craze mineral block and an Apple Addiction protein block in the same pen that pigs can't get to (we have a lot of pigs). Currently, the deer are hitting the Berry mineral block hard and ignoring the protein block. Will be interesting to see if this changes with the seasons.

should put a Trophy rock in there too ...
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/14/24 10:08 PM

Trace mineral block up this way, used for cattle too. Elk and all deer like them, bighorn sheep too.
Posted By: Sim69z28

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/15/24 03:35 AM

I use to buy a 100 pound tub made by High Caliber. It was very hard mineral lick with grains and molasses mix. Deer loved it but so did hogs. It was $75. I think they sold out to ADM animal feeds. Not near as good now. It is not as hard but sort of crumbly like. Gone in a few days. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jayb

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/16/24 03:15 PM

I got two trophy rocks from Walmart on discount like $3. I think the cows will destroy it before the deer will benefit from it. But can't hurt for $3
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/16/24 06:21 PM

I got two trophy rocks from Walmart on discount like $3. I think the cows will destroy it before the deer will benefit from it. But can't hurt for $3

I also purchased 4 trophy rocks from Walmart here in San Antonio for $3 each. I will place them inside the pen with the feeders to keep hogs off of it. For $3 you can't go wrong!
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/16/24 08:55 PM

in the Hill Country and Trans Pecos, soils are deficient in Phosphorus while we have an abundance of Calcium. It takes both Ca and Ph to grow bones and antlers. In order to boost the deer's intake, I try to keep out a high Ph mineral such as the 12-12 Blocks from Godbold's. These blocks are for livestock but the deer don't know. They are 12% Ph which is about as high as I can find. Livestock will eat them if they can get to them. Deer eat just enough to satisfy their needs. You need to put them out about the first of the year so that the Ph has time to get into their system by the time they shed and almost immediately start growing back antlers.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/16/24 09:43 PM

The hogs find them and push them everywhere. No idea where they end up. I have recently built some stands for them . Some I have sitting plows.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/18/24 08:20 PM

Before you worry about what mineral to put out for your deer herd, I suggest that you do a soil analysis...
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/19/24 01:52 AM

About 3 to 4 months ago I put out a protein block in a ground level cattle trough feeder. I can’t tell that it has been touched. Camera agrees with me.
Posted By: Buschy

Re: Trophy Rock/Other mineral licks for deer - 02/29/24 07:39 PM

I have had outstanding success with Trophy Rocks. The elk are on them all the time here in CO.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum