Texas Hunting Forum

Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals

Posted By: DQ Kid

Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 02:42 PM

For your standard TX Whitetail deer hunter, not the top 10%, what do you think are average and realistic annual deer hunting goals and expectations???
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 02:46 PM

kill a deer and watch beautiful sun rises and sun sets. Also enjoy a warm mesquite fire under a beautiful array of unrestricted stars.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 02:47 PM

get into the woods as much as I possibly can ... simple.

take a few deer for the freezer depending on game counts
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 03:10 PM

Probably just getting to go as much as I want is my goal every year

I’ve went several years without pulling the trigger and then will shoot 3 bucks in 3 years

I like em in all configurations, I know it when I see it!
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 06:19 PM

The average Texas Deer hunters goal would be to shoot a really nice racked buck and perhaps another deer for eating. I would think, realistically, that the average deer hunter would shoot a buck that he really should not have pulled the trigger on. Most "have to get a buck" every year.
As for my self, I have gone years without shooting a nice buck. But I am 55 years old and have taken many deer since I was 12. I can hold out for that "special" buck that makes my heart jump. Whether he shows up during the season or not, I'll just take a spike or a doe for meat.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/19/23 07:34 PM

Would have to define the average Texas whitetail hunter first.

I think for most guys, just getting out of the city on the weekends, spending some time in a rural setting and seeing some animals is what most are after. Getting a deer os part of that, most would want a buck on the other side of decent. That imo is what the “average” hunter is looking to do.

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 02:27 AM

I bet the average TX Hunter spends less than three weekends in the field, shoots bucks that average 3 yrs of age, and eats less than 50lbs of venison a year as a family.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 03:16 AM

I’m a below average deer hunter. I enjoy drinking with old friends and leave the deer killing to my sons.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I bet the average TX Hunter spends less than three weekends in the field, shoots bucks that average 3 yrs of age, and eats less than 50lbs of venison a year as a family.

I would agree with that.

I would say the average Texas hunter is in the “I like to hunt “ category instead of the “it’s a lifestyle” category
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 04:01 AM

I would agree with that, and I think the 50 lbs is probably being generous.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
kill a deer and watch beautiful sun rises and sun sets. Also enjoy a warm mesquite fire under a beautiful array of unrestricted stars.

THIS! Enjoy Life!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 06:12 PM

Expect to enjoy the country and nature as a whole. Will kill 2 bucks and hope the one of them is bigger than the usual. Probably take 2 doe and a hog or 2. Need to put some meat in the freezer after last years very slow season. More exposure and teaching to the grandsons. Will go out most weekends.
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/20/23 09:21 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the enjoyment of the non-shooting aspects of hunting. Sunrise is my ABSOLUTELY favorite time of the day. Many years ago I made up a camo teeshirt that says "Anyone can get up early enough to see a sunset!"
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/23/23 03:31 PM

I think the goal is specific to the hunter and the situation. Last year, it was getting my first deer on public land with a bow. Didn't care whether it was a doe, spike, or 160" buck. Got a 119" buck and was over the moon.

Now, if I were rich and had a private lease in south Texas, my goals would be different.

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/23/23 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

Damn I got a hard core circle of friends. We are all 100-500lbs. with the families of 4 plus pushing or passing 500lbs every year easy.

Im 100lbs just between meatballs and brawts.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/23/23 03:38 PM

Damn I got a hard core circle of friends. We are all 100-500lbs. with the families of 4 plus pushing or passing 500lbs every year easy.

Very much the exception, IMO.

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/23/23 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

Very much the exception, IMO.

I came up short with just a Mule deer, Bear and 2 WT’s this year and had to phone a friend on MLD for a donation . I was going to shoot 4 does in extended season and couldnt find one.. lol
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/24/23 03:51 PM

I likely exceed the 50 pounds of deer a few times a year on my own. We usually process over 10 deer a year plus hogs and a few javi. This year nilgai was added to the list. Make ground meat, sausage, summer sausage jalapeño cheese sausage, dry sausage, pan sausage, chorizo, etc, it’s gone before you know it. Only beef I buy is steaks or fajitas.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/24/23 05:48 PM

My goal is to shoot our MLD doe numbers and a buck that represents the quality of the management efforts we are putting in. That’s usually going to be a 6.5yr or older buck with multiple years of history. Last three bucks I’ve shot were all 7.5 and older and had between 3-6 years of history with them so I’m checking that box most years. The doe goal is an elusive one
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/25/23 01:54 AM

Apparently 200 inches plus if your in the right spot.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/25/23 02:09 AM

I generally put two deer a year in my freezer, i'm the only one that eats it.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/25/23 02:44 AM

Goal for this season is to tag out with a muley, and my 5 WTs. I want my license to look like its missing teeth where the tags should be. Hope to break 130 on my bucks.

We are down to about 20#s of hamburger and a few steaks; went through three WTs, an elk, and a steer. We did cook for lots of friends and family events though.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/26/23 01:18 AM

Be in the stand as much as I can, EZ for me since I live on the place. If Mr. Big shows up I'll take him, if not oh well it was a perfect day to be in the woods. This year will be my first attempt at food plots I'm more excited about seeing the results as to holding deer and who shows up.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 05/26/23 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by TKM

I generally put two deer a year in my freezer, i'm the only one that eats it.

I wouldn't be suprised if the average hunter eats less than 1 deer a year. We have 3 hunters in the family. Me, my MIL, and my son. Our goal is 5 deer a year between the 3 of us. That supplies us with meat for a year. I'm always on the lookout for a big buck, but I have shot only does for the last 5 years or so. Still waiting for the big boy.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/06/23 02:39 AM

I hunt meat, not antlers. My goal is a doe or two and that is pretty realistic.
Posted By: Augustus1994

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/10/23 02:18 AM

Wife and I both hunt and usually end up with a buck, spike or two and two to three does. Ends up being about 150# of burger, 50 lbs of sausage, 25 lbs of roasts, and 25 lbs of backstrap once we grind in the beef and pork. Finished the last pack of venison last year on the opener of bow season.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/10/23 03:34 PM

Being retired, my goal is to stay healthy enough that I will still be able to hunt when I'm entering my 80's or older. Or, to put it another way, to make it a long time before I need help to make it the bathroom.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/10/23 03:44 PM

Be in one of my blinds as often as I want usually 20-25 sets a season
occasional trip with some buddies.
Harvest
2 deer for my parents
1 deer for me, wife and boys
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/11/23 01:10 AM

I'm retired at 75 and hunt every day from October to mid January. Always looking to best my best, My wife also hunts and we generally take a deer each. If we haven't found that special buck we'll take a couple does at the end of the season.

My grandsons and son-in-laws hunt with us and we ask them to focus on mature deer 8 points or better.

We normally take 3 to 4 deer off our 160 acres.
Posted By: GrantW

Re: Realistic and Average TX Deer Hunting Goals - 06/13/23 12:38 PM

Hunt relatively often and try to enjoy it, don’t let everyday life and work/life issues ruin it.
Ideally pursue animals that have lived their lives and spread some genes. Older bucks are generally the goal. I try not to get as wrapped up in antler size as I used to. Just like heavy old gnarly bucks. I would say many hunters would benefit to adjust their antler goals and number of animals seen in a sit for where they are.

Shoot Doe for number management and meat
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum