Texas Hunting Forum

fawns

Posted By: fishbait

fawns - 05/06/23 10:11 PM

We should be seeing fawns out some time this week or next week.
Posted By: kry226

Re: fawns - 05/07/23 01:09 PM

Not sure, but I have some does that look like they're about to pop...
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: fawns - 05/07/23 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

Same here, should have seen some by now.

Re: fawns - 05/07/23 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Same here, should have seen some by now.

I didn't see my first until mid to late July. I was beginning to think my fawn crop was about to be crap, and then there they were- including a set of triplets.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: fawns - 05/08/23 11:22 AM

7 month gestation, right? I'm looking at June drop for most fawns.

Re: fawns - 05/08/23 12:07 PM

Don't forget there is a length of time the fawns will be very close to their fawning areas before moving around very far. I don't remember how long of time that would be but my fawns began showing up in the brush about last of April and the first of May and way into October. But most did show up around May and June as I plotted each one when I first saw them on camera. It's very exciting time of year for me. Fawns for me didn't show up outside of the fawning areas and in other fawning areas until around July sometime.

Re: fawns - 05/08/23 01:17 PM

I looked at some of the pics and fawns maybe two weeks old was moving in the areas.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: fawns - 05/08/23 04:15 PM

Doe in my area tend to drop last week of may and i will start seeing them at feeders around early to mid july, about 6 weeks later
Posted By: freerange

Re: fawns - 05/08/23 09:15 PM

I’ve heard they almost don’t move at all for two weeks. Does stay away from them all they can to avoid coyotes.Takes that long before they can out run coyotes. Not time for ours yet.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: fawns - 05/09/23 12:56 AM

I believe we have some on the ground here in Arkansas. Saw a couple sets of tiny deer tracks this morning on my walk.
Posted By: Geedubya

Re: fawns - 05/09/23 01:37 AM

Got 4 cell cams set up at my brother's place near Engle, Tx.

I've set up the time to upload @ immediate.

Been watching a doe, thinking she was about to drop a fawn

[Linked Image]

Mighty Fine!

First pix of the lil' rascal!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: MoTex

Re: fawns - 05/09/23 05:53 PM

Destructive little rascal😂
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: fawns - 05/09/23 06:10 PM

My uncle lives on the shores of Canyon Lake near New Braunfels,TX. He has been seeing newborn fawns the last two days (May 8 and 9th.)
Posted By: Pootie

Re: fawns - 05/12/23 09:15 PM

Not seeing fawns, but seeing some doe that are noticeably slimmer.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: fawns - 05/12/23 10:08 PM

My 4 house Does are still pregnant, see them every morning and afternoon.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: fawns - 05/19/23 09:22 PM

It appears this doe is getting ready to drop a newborn.

[Linked Image]

Re: fawns - 05/19/23 09:33 PM

This one showed up yesterday
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: fawns - 05/19/23 09:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Beautiful shot. up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: fawns - 05/21/23 01:56 AM

This one has hit the feeder all hours of the day & night
[Linked Image]

Re: fawns - 05/21/23 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
[Linked Image]

Beautiful shot. up

This morning I heard one of the birddogs barking while wife was out doing morning dog duty. Found all of them at the wrought iron fence barking at 3 does on the other side of the fence. Wife informed me they had found the fawn on the inside of the fence this morning when she let them out. They had surrounded the fawn, then one picked it up and carried it to the fence. The fawn then scambled through the fence, and burrowed down about 10’ from the fence. I guess the does showed up due to the bleat the fawn let out. Wife heard the bleat also. Fawn seems to have survived the ordeal, it has since relocated to the middle of the front yard, head up and ears perked.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: fawns - 05/21/23 08:54 PM

haven't seen any around here yet, but noticed the resident group of 8 whitetail does, i've only been seeing 4.
Posted By: batman

Re: fawns - 05/27/23 09:57 PM

First fawn sighting today in my backyard. I’m in NW Tarrant county. Too cute!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: fawns - 05/28/23 02:53 PM

Had one about the size of a house cat laying in the grass by the shop last Sunday.
It laid there the whole day about 20' from the drive as we drove race cars back and forth between the shop, test track and the wash area.
My Granddaughter was amazed it just laid there while everything was going on around it.
The grass/weeds was only about 6-8" but you only saw an occasional ear flick to know it was still there.
Later that evening, my wife saw it following it's mom across the road and said it looked like a cat on 2' stilts.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: fawns - 05/28/23 03:36 PM

As we had NO fawns last year at all in Dickens county I'm hoping the recent rains, as much as 6 IN in the last 5 weeks. will prevent the catastrophe we had last year. With our main rut Thanksgiving week and 200 days gestation we should see them any day now.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: fawns - 05/30/23 10:27 AM

Had 1st fawn on game cam yesterday. Colorado Co.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: fawns - 05/30/23 07:22 PM

The wife and I walked around our neighborhood and saw our first fawn this morning. Little bitty one, but it kept up with mother when she took off.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 04:41 PM

Came very close to running one over with the tractor Sunday while mowing. I stopped mowing right then and won't do any more for about another month or so. Only one I've seen on our place so far, have plenty of doe about to pop though.

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 05:54 PM

As much time I spend at the lease its not enough to notice and document enough of a sample size to tell much on when they drop. Just based on timing of the rut and the gestation period we should have the vast majority of ours born the first 3 weeks of June. I’m out here now so there may be some have dropped but no way to see with the vegetation so tall. Definitely NOT a good time to mow. That first few weeks they will absolutely not run from a noisy tractor.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
As much time I spend at the lease its not enough to notice and document enough of a sample size to tell much on when they drop. Just based on timing of the rut and the gestation period we should have the vast majority of ours born the first 3 weeks of June. I’m out here now so there may be some have dropped but no way to see with the vegetation so tall. Definitely NOT a good time to mow. That first few weeks they will absolutely not run from a noisy tractor.

The one I encountered waited until the wheel was dang near on top of it before it bolted out from under the tractor. It was laid up in grass only about 1' tall. I never saw it til it ran and thought it was a rabbit at first. I immediately turned off the pto, raised the mower up all the way, and headed out to camp, which I could see from where the fawn was bedded up. Saw the same fawn later that evening with momma who was grazing the fresh cut grass areas. I knew better, but was just mowing the edges of roads and started getting carried away wanting to get more done. It was a stark reminder though.
Posted By: J Hills

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 08:14 PM

I almost hit one Sunday mowing in the yard. Grass was very high (over knee) because the ZTR had been in the shop almost 10 days waiting on parts. I had made 3-4 passes on both sides of her and never. saw saw her until I was about to run her over. I stopped short and shut down the mower and she bolted.
It must be engrained in them to run straight for a fence and get tangled up. She hit the hog wire about 10" up, got her head and right leg through the rectangle. She was pushing her left should trying to get it through. I couldn't balance her and get her backed out. Had to get wire cutters cut the fence to get her out. Seemed to be ok. Took 5-6 steps and then took off like a rocket down the fence. Wish I had photo but was more concerned in getting her out than taking pictures.
I would guess she was 10-14 days old. Told my wife I was going to bring her home to be a companion for the German Shepherd!!

Last year I had a doe that kept leaving one on the breezeway. She would curl up under a bench and stay there for hours. Even with me coming and going in/out of the house. She stayed at the house for several weeks.

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 08:48 PM

Ill tell a story in hopes it may keep the mowers shut down and save a fawn.
In high school, over 50 years ago, in Williamson county I was running a tractor sycle mower on county roads and ran right up on a fawn. I just got off and picked her up and put in my truck and took her home. Raised her for about a year and she left. No question if I hadn’t seen her she would of been shredded. Ingrained in them not to move until old enough(2 weeks?) to outrun coyotes.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: fawns - 05/31/23 09:10 PM

Yep, mower is parked for the next several weeks. I mowed my roads & a few spots this past weekend while having my wife go in front of me. I'm in western young county & figure they should start dropping soon by pics of does.

Re: fawns - 06/22/23 10:02 AM

Finally got our first pic of our first fawn today. This is a full month earlier than when we saw our first ones last year. banana

P.S. Yes, I'll be mowing in a couple weeks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: fawns - 06/22/23 01:30 PM

Finally got our first pic of our first fawn today. This is a full month earlier than when we saw our first ones last year. banana

[Linked Image]

We have had some GREAT moisture. Look at that grass.

Re: fawns - 06/22/23 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

[Linked Image]

Yessir! Only seen it this green one or two other times. Love it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: fawns - 06/22/23 09:03 PM

[Linked Image]

You hope to be mowing! Let me know if you need help.
Don’t get stuck in the black stuff!

Re: fawns - 06/23/23 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by rickym

[Linked Image]

You hope to be mowing! Let me know if you need help.
Don’t get stuck in the black stuff!

up
Posted By: splash556

Re: fawns - 06/24/23 07:06 PM

Didn't see any last year. I've seen 2 this last week.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: fawns - 07/21/23 07:32 PM

I have two feeders running, probably 8-10 does total hitting both. I have ONE fawn in any of the pics. We've hammered the coyotes this year (15 since November 22). Where are my fawns? Still in the bush? Good news is I have turkey hens with groups of poults, so that's something.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: fawns - 07/21/23 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I have two feeders running, probably 8-10 does total hitting both. I have ONE fawn in any of the pics. We've hammered the coyotes this year (15 since November 22). Where are my fawns? Still in the bush? Good news is I have turkey hens with groups of poults, so that's something.

Fawns probably in brush while momma is at feeders.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum