Texas Hunting Forum

MLD tags available today.

Posted By: Creekrunner

MLD tags available today. - 05/01/23 11:01 PM

5 bucks, 3 unbranched, and 25 antlerless for me. (Harvest option --------- low fence.)

"There will be blood."
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/01/23 11:09 PM

Pulling the trigger is the easy part.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 12:11 AM

Agreed. This will be my 3rd year in the program. It is work.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 12:30 AM

We don't get ours until late September.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 02:24 AM

Sounds like fun!
Posted By: Andrewhunter08

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 02:30 AM

Looking for people to hunt? Please send me a PM if you need someone to help w feed costs and harvest.
Posted By: Woj

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Agreed. This will be my 3rd year in the program. It is work.

This will be year two for me, conservation option, high fence. Deer spotlight counts go on three weekends in Sept, tags issued late Sept. And yep, it's work once you get the quota.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 01:39 PM

5 bucks, 3 unbranched, and 25 antlerless for me. (Harvest option --------- low fence.)

"There will be blood."

Curious, what amount of acres is this on? We had 10 bucks, 20 anterless last year on ~2000 acres
Posted By: PMK

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 03:52 PM

up
Posted By: syncerus

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/02/23 05:02 PM

You must have some good venison recipes.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 01:29 AM

5 bucks, 3 unbranched, and 25 antlerless ."

Before MLD that was the opening weekend bag for the place….
Posted By: redchevy

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

5 bucks, 3 unbranched, and 25 antlerless ."

Before MLD that was the opening weekend bag for the place….

Probably only the bucks. Last lease I was on in Kendal co was 700-800 acres wasn’t uncommon to have 10-15 bucks hit the ground opening weekend.
Posted By: Judd

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 03:13 PM

Dang...that's a lot of work. Enjoy it.

One of these days I wanna go on one of those massive MLD doe pile ups...I've got buddies that tell the 30-50 doe a day trips.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 03:21 PM

I'm ready for deer season. Am booking a MLD hunt for late October today. Hope you all have a great season.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Double AC

"There will be blood."

Curious, what amount of acres is this on? We had 10 bucks, 20 anterless last year on ~2000 acres

Originally Posted by Judd

One of these days I wanna go on one of those massive MLD doe pile ups...I've got buddies that tell the 30-50 doe a day trips.

Haven't had a day like that yet, but the buzzards and varmints do seem to enjoy the gut pile. food
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/03/23 03:38 PM

"There will be blood."

Haven't had a day like that yet, but the buzzards and varmints do seem to enjoy the gut pile. food

high rack/top drive, start corning roads every day for month. Then drive around and wack. Most time they will just run off road 30 yards and you can see then from high rack
Posted By: Stompy

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/05/23 08:13 PM

Got mine yesterday 7 bucks 17 does, but I don't need to kill 17 does, not even close.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/05/23 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

"There will be blood."

high rack/top drive, start corning roads every day for month. Then drive around and wack. Most time they will just run off road 30 yards and you can see then from high rack

High rack would get swept off going under trees. On a side note, before I was born, my family's truck equipment business made some early top-drives for hunting. What a nightmare. We lost our shirt. 'Also made some of the first cut-off Jeepsters, with rifle scabbards, etcetera, for the Klebergs. Also lost our shirt. We decided to stay away from the hunting "industry" after that. grin
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/08/23 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar

Same here.
Posted By: NGHTTRN

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/26/23 08:08 PM

I need fawn numbers before I even start thinking about tags.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ZK-315
Originally Posted by Tbar

Same here.

When did they start issuing them so early???
We always have spotlight surveys due in Aug/Sept.. Low fence

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 03:00 AM

Harvest option doesn't require surveys/counts.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 03:03 AM

How does MLD work?

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
How does MLD work?

Hardest part for me was drawing out my boundary on the TPWD website. (>>LMA)

Agree to the program, to use only MLD tags on your property, etc. You'll have to select Harvest Option or Conservation Option. They have different requirements and differ as to when you can start shooting regular bucks.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 06:22 PM

We belonged to a COOP and we counted observations and sent them in to the COOP. This allowed us to get doe permits through P&W. We could only take doe by permit only but we harvested bucks by normal harvesting using tags on our licenses. We could only harvest bucks by what was limited by the county. I liked that setup as we used that for many years and it worked great. Don't know if this will be much help though.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 05/27/23 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by fishbait
We belonged to a COOP and we counted observations and sent them in to the COOP. This allowed us to get doe permits through P&W. We could only take doe by permit only but we harvested bucks by normal harvesting using tags on our licenses. We could only harvest bucks by what was limited by the county. I liked that setup as we used that for many years and it worked great. Don't know if this will be much help though.

Yeah, I forgot - I think you can select does only, if you want to.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/01/23 11:24 PM

CR, Have cross bow and pop-up ready to go if you need some doe harvest help for your program.... you are doing it right and like BoBo said let the corn flow.

Stompy, with your new enclosure and probably still working on your counts and determining ratio plan, I see why you may question 17.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 02:59 PM

I'm very interested in hunting with MLD tags. Please send me a PM if you will be selling any of them. I understand the costs associated with raising deer and do not want them for free. I am very interested in helping maintain healthy populations and culling herds etc. Thank you!
Posted By: bronco71

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 04:26 PM

I was hoping to get MLD tags to cull some inferior bucks under the 13" limit but with my small acreage (160 acres) the estimate would only allow me 2 doe and zero bucks! I believe this is due to low counts in my county because most of it is pasture land... but I am near the river bottom in heavy timber with a lot of deer. My only option is to cull the older barely 13" bucks with my big buck tag or hold out for a older big buck and not cull the lesser bucks. I can take a couple doe on my regular tags to help keep the ratio in balance. Hopefully the inferior bucks will be struck by lightning or cars .....
Posted By: fishbait

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 04:56 PM

Stompy; I count my deer very carefully and I believe I am very accurate. I calculated I have a deer density of about 8.0. That gives me 35 bucks to 45 does. With 45 does 14 are mature. So with this mixture I had 44 fawns or 22 doe fawns. 17 is not that far off as you no longer have neighbors taking does ..its all you. I would have tried to average around 14 does per year for us on a long term count depending how many my neighbors harvested.

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71
I was hoping to get MLD tags to cull some inferior bucks under the 13" limit but with my small acreage (160 acres) the estimate would only allow me 2 doe and zero bucks! I believe this is due to low counts in my county because most of it is pasture land... but I am near the river bottom in heavy timber with a lot of deer. My only option is to cull the older barely 13" bucks with my big buck tag or hold out for a older big buck and not cull the lesser bucks. I can take a couple doe on my regular tags to help keep the ratio in balance. Hopefully the inferior bucks will be struck by lightning or cars .....

If you use the conservation option your deer counts will be specific to your herd

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Got mine yesterday 7 bucks 17 does, but I don't need to kill 17 does, not even close.

That seems to be inline with most free range herds (assuming herd is the same since your fence went up). How many bucks and does did you count?

Posted By: bronco71

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71

If you use the conservation option your deer counts will be specific to your herd

cool, thanks!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: MLD tags available today. - 06/04/23 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy

That seems to be inline with most free range herds (assuming herd is the same since your fence went up). How many bucks and does did you count?

Haven't done a count since last deer season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum