Texas Hunting Forum

Bad or good

Posted By: Hudbone

Bad or good - 03/11/23 03:30 PM

[Linked Image]

We hunt the Eagleford Shale area in NE Lasalle County. They just moved in a rig looking for gas. I am sure they'll find it. The pad is just under a half mile away. The site there is lower than where my stand is and I will have a good view of it. Once it is completed, it will just be a production site and should provide little activity and besides the visuals, should be of little or no concern to me or my hunting. It is what it is.

The good news is I now have over 2 1/2 miles of all weather road going back to quite near my place. Massive culverts in the dry creek and smaller ones in two other drainages. These boys really made it nice for me. They have "smoothed out" each and every tough spot I had in my way. I almost feel spoiled. I think Bobo's side by side could get out there now. Onward and forever forward.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bad or good - 03/11/23 04:09 PM

Hopefully complete by hunting season.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Bad or good - 03/11/23 04:33 PM

Back in the 1990's the same thing happened to me on my lease in Victoria County. I got a road going right past my blind after needing a four-wheel drive or 4-wheeler to negotiate the sandy soil before. After they finished the initial drilling, there was no problem seeing deer just walk right past the equipment. A gauger would drive through sometimes but the deer were used to his truck and it didn't seem to phase them. At that place I would see 15 to 35 deer virtually every time I hunted.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Bad or good - 03/11/23 05:22 PM

looks like better roads to me!! and wider sendero’s!! I’d be excited
Posted By: jgconst

Re: Bad or good - 03/11/23 07:14 PM

I hunted 5 miles east of Los Angeles from 2009-2018. They put several wells on the 2600 ac we hunted. They drilled and fracked one 200 yards from camp one year during hunting season. That was unpleasant and really loud. The generators and compressors they use to frack are on 18 wheeler trailers.
There were plastic bags and all up and down the road. They needed more water for fracking so they drilled a well and filled our big tank to the top. The landowner will be happy when royalty checks come in. I like your tower blind. Stair, handrail, and landing look 1st class.

Verde
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Bad or good - 03/12/23 09:03 PM

They'll be gone before season unless they move that rig over a bit and drill another hole and continue to repeat but that is doubtful. Deer will pay the location little attention once production equipment completed. Only thing will be what time will the pumper/guager make his round during hunting season. Nice new road to corn. Less wear and tear on the Taco.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Bad or good - 03/12/23 09:09 PM

Maybe it will have a good burn off torch… they make for good night time hog and predator hunting
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Bad or good - 03/12/23 09:12 PM

I had a blind about that far away from an ollllld pump that made a steady and loud pop all day… I thought the deer would hate it but all it did was dull them to loud noises lol.. you could bump a window or drop an empty can in the blind and they could care less
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Bad or good - 03/13/23 12:31 AM

my best spot has had 3 pipe lines go thru it you can't imagine the equipment that has gone thru there I abandoned my tripod and just parked the truck it was a taco buy the way just like yours , the deer would climb over the piles of dirt to come to the feeders it was amazing, problem was all the other hunters could also see what I had so I ended up a couple of yrs later moving a few hundred yards away, so dont worry about that rig those deer wont care any thing about it,they will be used to the people comming and going, forget the camo wear carhart look like a rig guy
Posted By: freerange

Re: Bad or good - 03/13/23 01:02 AM

Bribe the pumper on his schedule with sausage(wrapped in red bandana of course).
Posted By: bp3

Re: Bad or good - 03/13/23 02:16 AM

Odds are the spacing on the gas wells are set on 160 acres,some are 320 acres
Posted By: Stub

Re: Bad or good - 03/13/23 11:48 AM

The road improvement and maintenance is a very nice benefit.

An argument for pros and cons can be made on these two points.

1. If the land was not disturbed by drilling activity and having a well serviced regularly would that area hold more deer and mature bucks?

2. The drilling activity and subsequent maintenance on the well site will have no effect on the deer population or mature bucks in that area, it will also make the deer less leery of humans since the pumper will be driving to the well site regularly and the deer will get used to him thus making the deer less leery of you the hunter?
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Bad or good - 03/14/23 11:45 AM

I'd imagine the good will outweigh the bad Hud. Deer, even mature bucks will adjust to it in no time. One of our stands is less than 300 yards from a pad with 3 wells on it and even when the trucks are there loading out the deer don't even look up towards it. They become so used to the noise and traffic it is amazing.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Bad or good - 03/15/23 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jgconst
I hunted 5 miles east of Los Angeles from 2009-2018. They put several wells on the 2600 ac we hunted. They drilled and fracked one 200 yards from camp one year during hunting season. That was unpleasant and really loud. The generators and compressors they use to frack are on 18 wheeler trailers.
There were plastic bags and all up and down the road. They needed more water for fracking so they drilled a well and filled our big tank to the top. The landowner will be happy when royalty checks come in. I like your tower blind. Stair, handrail, and landing look 1st class.

Verde

Interesting description of a frac pump
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Bad or good - 03/15/23 01:54 PM

Got to thinking you should paint your stand Haliburton red and gray stick a muffler and some pipes on the roof and the deer will think your just another piece of equipment
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Bad or good - 03/15/23 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by fredgus
Got to thinking you should paint your stand Haliburton red and gray stick a muffler and some pipes on the roof and the deer will think your just another piece of equipment

best idea I have seen.
Posted By: cibolo

Re: Bad or good - 03/30/23 01:12 AM

Usually the gauge checkers will only come through after 10 and before 2 or so if you have the landowner requests it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum