Texas Hunting Forum

Pursuit or the Kill?

Posted By: DQ Kid

Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 07:48 PM

When it comes to hunting and in Machivellian style, are you moe a "Means to an End" or "End Justifying Means", kind of person? In other words, do you incorporate certain tactics and strategies to satisfy the conclusion of harvesting a buck or do you do your hunting thing, strategies and tactics and if they yield a harvest in the end, so be it, if not, you've still had fun in the chase and pursuit along the way.
I'm more the latter of those two. I stay pretty regular and consistent in my approach and if I get fortunate enough, good things may come of it, if not, I generally enjoy the ride..

What about you?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 07:55 PM

Pursuit all the way DQ. If it ends up working out great, but I love being out of the city and in the woods. That's what its about for me.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 08:05 PM

I go hunting more often than not to try and kill something. I’ve had great hunts where I came home unsuccessful, but it would have been a better hunt if I had killed something. I’m talking more about adventure style hunts more than a Texas deer hunt. On those, I’m much more ambivalent. One of the best hunts I’ve had in Colorado I was elk hunting and didn’t see an elk the whole 7 day trip. But I don’t want to repeat those trips if I can help it. I go hunting to bag an animals and it’s very mission driven.

Bird hunting , I want to kill birds, if it is a bad hunt it’s just a bad hunt.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 08:06 PM

That is what the peta types do not understand , the pursuit . Being outdoors . They say if you are just going to eat it why do you " trophy hunt " for a big buck . They do not understand there is little pursuit in getting a little young doe . The big buck is a challenge you have to work for and do not always get .
Posted By: rickym

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 08:57 PM

The last couple years I’ve been happier putting others on animals, and I definitely realized that this past deer season while guiding! I get excited when I shoot something, but I’m equally if not more excited taking someone else along and seeing their happiness when it all comes together!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 09:02 PM

If I take a bow or rifle then I am going hunting and plan to kill something... if the opportunity arises on that trip. I took my weapon of choice for a reason not a joy ride. If I am there for the scenery then it is just a vacation. I can take vacations year round without any restrictions or expectations.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 11:05 PM

If its just me, the pursuit...I didn't kill anything in TX or OK on our places this year just because the deer seemed to have suffered at both places

But if I am taking a kid, were on a kill mission usually...doe, pig, buck, yote
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/29/23 11:29 PM

“In our rather stupid time, hunting is belittled and misunderstood, many refusing to see it for the vital vacation from the human condition that it is, or to acknowledge that the hunter does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, he kills in order to have hunted.” Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

By now, a very trite quote, but still true.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 01:46 AM

We as a hunting community have got to stop tip-toeing around the fact that we go hunting because its fun and we enjoy it. There still are a few people in the far corners of society I'm sure that survive solely on hunted game, but that is the 1%, at best.

We have to stop justifying our passion as " oh, well we do it for food" or painting a picture to the non-hunting public that we are remorseful in the act of killing a game animal. Because then they get the idea that hunting is ok only if its done for food or that as long as the hunter is sorry for the animal we will allow it. That is why the term "trophy hunting" has such a negative connotation whereas majority of the hunting that takes place is trophy hunting in some facet. If you mount a pretty Duck, or keep a Turkey beard, you kept a trophy. That 8 pointer you Euro mounted is a trophy.

At some level we probably will reconcile our "why do we do it" to ourselves at some point in our lives but we need to be honest with the answer....which by and large is "we do it because we like to"
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 01:57 AM

When I was younger and paying for a lease it was all about filling tags to justify the price although I also enjoyed the hunt. Now older with my own property I enjoy watching and managing the game with an occasional kill.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:10 AM

TxTrophy and Broncho hit the sweet spot. I agree 100 percent. Looks like so far the Ranchman is in the minority and needs to figure out if hunting is a luxury/vacation or a task/duty. It is meant to be enjoyed and not just killing in my opinion.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
TxTrophy and Broncho hit the sweet spot. I agree 100 percent. Looks like so far the Ranchman is in the minority and needs to figure out if hunting is a luxury/vacation or a task/duty. It is meant to be enjoyed and not just killing in my opinion.

You need to read what I wrote very slowly again.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:36 AM

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

Meditations on Hunting by José Ortega y Gasset

And as with any sport, the greater the challenge the greater the win.

Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
We as a hunting community have got to stop tip-toeing around the fact that we go hunting because its fun and we enjoy it. There still are a few people in the far corners of society I'm sure that survive solely on hunted game, but that is the 1%, at best.

We have to stop justifying our passion as " oh, well we do it for food" or painting a picture to the non-hunting public that we are remorseful in the act of killing a game animal. Because then they get the idea that hunting is ok only if its done for food or that as long as the hunter is sorry for the animal we will allow it. That is why the term "trophy hunting" has such a negative connotation whereas majority of the hunting that takes place is trophy hunting in some facet. If you mount a pretty Duck, or keep a Turkey beard, you kept a trophy. That 8 pointer you Euro mounted is a trophy.

At some level we probably will reconcile our "why do we do it" to ourselves at some point in our lives but we need to be honest with the answer....which by and large is "we do it because we like to"

And this sentence pertains to a man like me, I hang with hunting guys...we talk

They are for the most part bow hunters who continually ride my A about rifle hunting

1 of which has went w me hunting, I don't like bow hunting...I don't enjoy it

Ive owned 2 bows and have tried it, I don't ENJOY IT...I don't shove my beliefs down them but my friends do on me

I had a falling out recently and it was over this with 1 who never let up

I enjoy watching and going and knowing I could if I wanted to but am picky, probably pickier than most

I don't shoot deer at 1000 yards, I do what I enjoy doing but if I wanted to so be it

I don't piss on calibers either, this community believe it or not is small and probably getting smaller by the day

Any man or woman doing it legally should be left to do as they please
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:46 AM

Even split for me I enjoy hunting but enjoy processing and the end product as well.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

I did and what is your point?

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:02 AM

You read and interpreted what you wanted to from what I wrote. Which is far from who I am and the reasons I hunt.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:07 AM

You read and interpreted what you wanted to from what I wrote. Which is far from who I am and the reasons I hunt.

Not looking for a fight here STX but you wrote it and you blame my interpretation? Maybe you should proofread what you write cause my interpretation is exactly what you said.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by GusWayne
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

And this sentence pertains to a man like me, I hang with hunting guys...we talk

They are for the most part bow hunters who continually ride my A about rifle hunting

1 of which has went w me hunting, I don't like bow hunting...I don't enjoy it

Ive owned 2 bows and have tried it, I don't ENJOY IT...I don't shove my beliefs down them but my friends do on me

I had a falling out recently and it was over this with 1 who never let up

I enjoy watching and going and knowing I could if I wanted to but am picky, probably pickier than most

I don't shoot deer at 1000 yards, I do what I enjoy doing but if I wanted to so be it

I don't piss on calibers either, this community believe it or not is small and probably getting smaller by the day

Any man or woman doing it legally should be left to do as they please

I am a big Bowhunter but I didn’t start out that way. Couldn’t stand bowhunting actually. If you have tried it and didn’t take to it, that’s perfectly fine. Enjoy your hunting as you see fit.

I’ve noticed that hunters are real quick to jump on other hunters for not “ hunting “ a certain way or the same way they do. Bow hunters dog rifle hunters. Rifle hunters hunting food plots dog guys who use feeders. Guys who shoot O/U shotguns dog guys who shoot pumps. And it goes on down the line.

It’s all about their own inadequacy where these feelings come from, as if they are being cheated out of something by using a rifle while they use a bow. I personally choose to hunt with a bow during general season for my own enjoyment, not because I think I’m some morally superior hunter.

As long as your hunting ethos is ethical, not selfish and is sustainable, do what you see fit and piss on the others.

My youngest boy loves to hunt but will not bowhunt. Flat out won’t do it. Tried and he doesent like it. And that’s ok. I don’t belittle him with the “ it’s not really hunting” talk like so many others.

To your friends, you could always throw at them “well, if your not shooting them with a recurve or longbow, your not really hunting “ and see what they say

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:14 AM

Not looking for a fight here STX but you wrote it and you blame my interpretation? Maybe you should proofread what you write cause my interpretation is exactly what you said.

I can personally vouch for the guy, he loves to hunt more than any person I know.

It’s not a job or a chore for him. It’s 100% recreational and he truly enjoys it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:21 AM

I can’t think of any reason to hunt other than recreation.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:21 AM

I love the pursuit and the hunt but I love a successful hunt much more.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I can’t think of any reason to hunt other than recreation.

Exactly. But there is always the do-gooder hippie type that will say he hunts because he is interested in the organic, grass fed meat and derives no pleasure from the pursuit or the kill and certainly not the trophy and he will be labeled as the poster child of the responsible hunter and what the rest of us should strive to become

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:36 AM

The is one short sentence that is there that says a lot. You are basing your whole interpretation off of the rest of what I wrote and the sentence changes the context of what I wrote. Many feel the same way I do about hunting just don't want to say it out loud or in front of others. They are going hunting to kill something....that something is up to them to decide if and when they kill it....not up to me or anyone else. It is the same for me. No one enjoys their time hunting more than I do...and I have had seasons with unfilled tags. I strive to learn more about hunting each trip...unsuccessful trips teach me a lot more than successful ones. I watch nature and learn from what I observe...been doing it for 60+ years. There is not better teacher than the great outdoors...you just have to pay attention. I hunt nowadays for a specific deer I have picked out and hunt for that deer. Sometimes I win and more times that deer wins. Last season I got that deer and this season I did not get that deer....that deer won..... "If I take a bow or rifle then I am going hunting and plan to kill something... if the opportunity arises on that trip". If the opportunity does not arise on the trip then hopefully I've learned something to take back on the next trip to make it successful. I do not and have never judged a successful trip by the animal I took...the have been far more unsuccessful trips than successful ones when it came to killing an animal on the trip. I am comfortable with that. People who I have hunted with know that.
Those who I have hunted with know who I am and what I am about when it comes to enjoying the great outdoors. I am about having a great time and fun...but a serious hunter when the time comes. I have taken time out of a short season to help new hunters on a lease learn the place. I want them to be successful...their interpretation of a successful hunt or trip is then up to them.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:47 AM

I think we are all on the same page. Sorry guys if this got off the rails but I kinda read what I read. I carry my Nikon and my gun in on every hunt. Maybe the camera has mellowed me a bit but I snap pics more than I shoot, with the exception of pigs and yotes. If there is a buck I want to harvest by all means I am there to kill but if that doesn’t happen, I’m all good. I am sure all of you are the same way. STX I’m sure you’re the same way. Your post just came off way more serious than I imagined of you, If I read that wrong I’m sorry.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:52 AM

I’ll preface this by saying this is MY opinion. The OP specified Whitetail hunting. In my opinion, in West Texas on my lease whitetail hunting requires little strategy or tactics after the initial decision of where to setup up your stand and where to locate your feeder. I am speaking from a lesee stand point, not a landowner nor on a lease where game management is an option given that the land I am on is owned by a corporation who doesn’t care. After the initial setup it’s “maintenance”from there on. During the actual season there is no reason for tactics or strategies other than playing the wind, how to approach the blind and which blind to sit on based on the wind. Once in the blind I just set it to “cruise control”. The feeder goes off or it doesn’t. The deer come in or they don’t. Whatever happens happens, and for me that’s okay. I enjoy just being out there. Haven’t shot a deer going on 6 years now, by my own choosing not to.. I have let a ton walk and have allowed my kids to shoot the big bucks over the last several years as they have grown older and gotten into hunting. It brings me more joy at this stage.

Now, reword the original question to apply to a big game animal outside of Texas whitetail, I.e. a “Western or Alaskan hunt” and it’s 100% about strategy to be successful with the intent to harvest an animal. That being said, it’s still all about the experience for me. Sure, I’ll exhaust all efforts, research, strategies etc to be successful, but if not, I simply enjoy hunting and being outdoors. Admittedly there is disappointment by me if I weren’t successful but that’s not the only thing I use to judge success.

For me hunting is a vacation, it’s also work. It’s a stress reliever, it’s a get away from the job and the idiocies of the world. We all have our reasons and that’s okay.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
I’ll preface this by saying this is MY opinion. The OP specified Whitetail hunting. In my opinion, in West Texas on my lease whitetail hunting requires little strategy or tactics after the initial decision of where to setup up your stand and where to locate your feeder. I am speaking from a lesee stand point, not a landowner nor on a lease where game management is an option given that the land I am on is owned by a corporation who doesn’t care. After the initial setup it’s “maintenance”from there on. During the actual season there is no reason for tactics or strategies other than playing the wind, how to approach the blind and which blind to sit on based on the wind. Once in the blind I just set it to “cruise control”. The feeder goes off or it doesn’t. The deer come in or they don’t. Whatever happens happens, and for me that’s okay. I enjoy just being out there. Haven’t shot a deer going on 6 years now. I have let a ton walk and have allowed my kids to shoot the big bucks over the last several years as they have grown older and gotten into hunting. It brings me more joy at this stage.

Now, reword the original question to apply to a big game animal outside of Texas whitetail, I.e. a “Western or Alaskan hunt” and it’s 100% about strategy to be successful with the intent to harvest an animal. That being said, it’s still all about the experience for me. Sure, I’ll exhaust all efforts, research, strategies etc to be successful, but if not, I simply enjoy hunting and being outdoors. Admittedly there is disappointment by me if I weren’t successful but that’s not the only thing I use to judge success.

For me hunting is a vacation, it’s also work. It’s a stress reliever, it’s a get away from the job and the idiocies of the world. We all have our reasons and that’s okay.

Ringworm well said and the the difference between the species is a point week taken

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 04:14 AM

I think we are all on the same page. Sorry guys if this got off the rails but I kinda read what I read. I carry my Nikon and my gun in on every hunt. Maybe the camera has mellowed me a bit but I snap pics more than I shoot, with the exception of pigs and yotes. If there is a buck I want to harvest by all means I am there to kill but if that doesn’t happen, I’m all good. I am sure all of you are the same way. STX I’m sure you’re the same way. Your post just came off way more serious than I imagined of you, If I read that wrong I’m sorry.

My post was made sitting in a deer blind "hunting".....on my cell phone and not going to be long or detailed....so it was short and not inclusive..... a lot of my "hunts" for the past 32 yrs are for management purposes...I am there to kill something that needs to go for management program. If it shows up I shoot with a rifle, if not I shoot with my camera. I have 2 terabytes of storage on my computer this is about full of hunt memories. Well over 100,000 photos I have taken while hunting or scouting or in the summer time on a 97° late evening. Why? Because I enjoy being outdoors and learning from my experiences outdoors. Are they are all of deer? Heck no, they are of whatever I enjoyed seeing that day. I strive to learn something on every trip I make to a deer blind or deer lease or invite to hunt someone's place when asked. The only time I felt like I cheated myself on a hunt was about 40 yrs ago the very first time I let a buck walk that morning. It was my first time to pass on a buck and it did not take me long to realize what hunting was truly about for when I thought about that experience over the next few days. That was the last time that feeling has ever entered my mind. My definition of success is not what many think it is or what you interpreted from my first post.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:19 PM

Would not be able to enjoy it much if it were only the kill, because I do not kill a deer every year. Enjoy hunting one particular deer and the perfect scenario would be to see trail cam pictures occasionally and a personal sighting every once in a while with the perfect ending being getting a shot at the buck the last weekend of the season.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:42 PM

pursuit. I wont hunt non- bugling bulls. i want screaming in my face at <20 yards

with that said, I do get in a hurry with MD due to time constraints and some times get a little trigger happy

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
pursuit. I wont hunt non- bugling bulls. i want screaming in my face at <20 yards

Hunting elk out of the rut mostly just amounts to hiking the woods with a rifle.

Not the most enjoyable pursuit.

I feel the same about throwing a Carolina rig or jig for bass in deep water. Hate it, won’t do it, I don’t care how many fish you are gonna catch. I wanna throw a spinner bait or a jerk bait on a grass line in 8’ of water.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:46 PM

I’ve owned my own place for 38 years. I hunt! But, I’m now more into trophy hunting and don’t worry about not seeing a shooter. I have enough on my wall and really like to see the ones that have potential. I really dislike sitting in a damn blind and seeing nothing.

Now that deer season is over, I’ll probably shoot some pigs. I know where they sleep during the day.

I’ve hunted most of the western states for elk, mulies, antelope and bears. Haven’t shot a bear and am now too old (80) to handle the mountains so the bears are safe. But, I’ve taken my share of elk and mulies. Only one antelope.

Now on the downhill of my hunting but still enjoy sitting in the woods hoping a pig shows up or a deer to look at. The deer are still coming to corn.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 02:54 PM

I'm in my 70's. Two different times I have gone 5 years without killing a deer, (buck or doe). It is the hunt for me. And the getting ready to
hunt, taking care of stands, feeders, camera's, food plots. This year did not kill a deer, but my three grandsons each got one while I was with them.
Made some memories that will last forever.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 04:09 PM

We hunt for meat for the most part. Archery elk is another thing though, getting within longbow range is the challenge, not the take. Just hearing the bugles makes to effort without a take successful.
Lots of elk get taken via a rifle though, cows mainly.
Stalking an elk, pronghorn buck or buck mule deer or WT is exhilarating, no need to sit a blind or feeder but natural blinds do get utilized.
We eat a lot of game meat, usually 2 elk, deer and pronghorn each year. You can throw in the occasional sheep or moose and bison too.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Pursuit or the Kill? - 01/30/23 05:33 PM

Sadly, there's another element that I suspect the vast majority of hunters never get to enjoy and that is seeing a good and well-trained dog play a critical role in the success of the hunter. And often times, it's watching or/or listening to the dog in its pursuit of it's prey that is most rewarding to the hunter. In fact, some might claim that taking the prey is as much a reward for the dog as it is the hunter. Doesn't make any difference if it's a Short-haired Pointer directing a group of hunters to a covey of birds, or a pack of hounds working the track of a big cat.

Yes, the excitement and anticipation that goes with the chase has now been replaced with all the quiet anticipation in waiting to see what shows up to eat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum