Texas Hunting Forum

Does anyone hunt Concho County

Posted By: hawk

Does anyone hunt Concho County - 01/20/23 10:03 PM

near Doole? I'm looking at a place on CR 4368 just southwest of Doole proper. About a mile and a half off of FM765. I already have a lease northwest of Doole at Lowake. I realize things were tough this year. Just curious what the area is like on a normal year. Thanks!
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/10/23 11:21 PM

I hunt in Concho County. I would go for it.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/11/23 03:07 PM

You’re east of most of the solar and it should be decent to good hunting. 120-130” normal with a rare 140-150” mixed in and typically good numbers. I hunted southeast of Paintrock last few years and the ranch signed a deal with solar during this season. A lot of uncertainty now…good luck!
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/11/23 06:49 PM

Our place is on 83 just north of 765. Our numbers have been down the last couple of years. If the numbers get back to where they were 4 years ago, you’ll have great hunting. We have 630 acres and I’ve killed 2 145-150” bucks in the last 5 years
Posted By: hawk

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/16/23 11:57 PM

Thanks for the response!
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/17/23 03:16 PM

Concho County has sold its soul for the short term gain of green energy. Hunting was always good across most of the county with the chance of killing a 130-150" deer with just a little management. Drought has taken its toll on populations and antler quality just like it has in Menard County and the general area. Not sure how far Concho County will go with the "Greenies" as they are using the increased tax dollars to build new schools and other improvements to the county. Land values in Concho County were always much lower than surrounding counties but have taken another big hit from the obnoxious wind turbines. Now I understand that they plan to build a solar farm or two...At least they are visible from 30 miles away.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Does anyone hunt Concho County - 02/17/23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by hawk
Thanks for the response!

end of the day we just went through one if the worst summer droughts the county as seen in decades. Our fawn recruitment from last year was less then 5%. Late rains made the drought look lessor on paper but but fawn recruitement and deer weight tell the whole tale. I dont see 2023 fawn crop doing much better then 22 due to low fat reserves of does going into the winter. Only saving grace as its been pretty mild so far.

as far as solar those who didnt sign/get solar, they will have better hunting and an influx in the short term of genetic dispersal in.

This would be the time to introduce supplemental feed

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum