Texas Hunting Forum

All day hunt food?

Posted By: redchevy

All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 02:28 AM

What do/would you take to eat for an all day hunt?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 03:04 AM

Whatever I take in the ice chest that morning if I plan on hunting all day. Dry sausage, crackers, cheese, jerky.....it is just to get me by if I plan on hunting all day. Did this a lot when hunting mule deer. Ate a good breakfast and then a good supper on those days.
Posted By: maximum

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 03:17 AM

As in carried with you into the field ?
Boiled eggs
Banana bread
Clif bars
Granola bars
Sandwiches
Jerky/slim jims
Gorp
Vye-ainnies
MRE'S
Sardines/kipper snacks/fish steaks
Snack crackers/cheese crackers/peanut butter crackers
Sausage/ham biscuits

Just about anything filling that can be eaten
without cooking

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 04:24 AM

Will be walking in before light and out after dark. Not wanting to cook anything and the hotel has no cooking accommodations either.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 04:31 AM

I pack a jet boil when I go out on most hunts.

In my pack I carry several snacks, cliff bars, snickers, gummy bears, jerky/sausage and either some ramen or a mountain house, along with a sandwich.

Morning I’ll eat either a jerky or a cliff bar. Mid morning I’ll usually have the ramen, if no ramen I’ll eat the sandwich. Lunch I’ll eat the mountain house or the sandwich. Then mid afternoon some jerky or a snickers and that will last me until dinner.

I tend to eat alot during hunts, but if I’m out all day I’m typically fairly active.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 04:43 AM

Pb&j, spam single serve packages, Vienna sausages, granola bars, apples.
Posted By: kry226

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by maximum
Boiled eggs
Banana bread
Clif bars
Granola bars
Sandwiches
Jerky/slim jims
Gorp
Vye-ainnies
MRE'S
Sausage/ham biscuits

without cooking

wtf

Even hunting the wind, you'll attract every coon in the county. bolt

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

Originally Posted by maximum
Boiled eggs
Banana bread
Clif bars
Granola bars
Sandwiches
Jerky/slim jims
Gorp
Vye-ainnies
MRE'S
Sausage/ham biscuits

without cooking

wtf

Even hunting the wind, you'll attract every coon in the county. bolt

Also keep in mind you pack a bunch of sardines, Vienna sausages, anything that comes in a can….you will have to carry the can around with you all day.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Whatever I take in the ice chest that morning if I plan on hunting all day. Dry sausage, crackers, cheese, jerky.....it is just to get me by if I plan on hunting all day. Did this a lot when hunting mule deer. Ate a good breakfast and then a good supper on those days.

Yep, keep it simple.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 01:07 PM

Jerky, snack stix, can of peaches, water... Probably a boot jug.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 02:51 PM

I rarely eat more than twice a day, often times just once. If I eat a decent breakfast there is about zero chance I will be hungry until dinner time in the evening. I can’t remember ever taking anything to eat while hunting. Even when I go work at the ranch all day I will stop and get breakfast tacos on the way there and then not eat anything until I am back home in the evening.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 03:28 PM

Apple and a protein bar when I'm backcountry hunting. I don't like jerky in the field because it makes me thirsty.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 03:52 PM

Protein bars, nuts, peanut butter, Bobo bars and normally a breakfast. In blind, mule or backpack it’s all about the same. I put gallon zip lock bags together at the beginning of the year. I have two totes. Day hunt and overnight. Overnight adds a dinner

Go to’s are: Biscuits and Gravy, peaches and oats, breakfast skillet [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 04:01 PM

Good grief...How do you guys stay "not-fat" eating all the time??

I NEVER take snacks to the blind (or in the boat) and I guarantee I got several biscuits on most of yall. roflmao
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 04:42 PM

anything with peanuts will keep you full longer
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 05:33 PM

Peanuts
Crackers
cheese
Dried sausage is typically what I'd have in my backpack to snack on

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 06:39 PM

Think I’m gonna go with peanuts and some crackers water and maybe coffee.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 06:51 PM

Summer sausage with cheese and crackers.
Salami sandwiches
Gatorades
Snickers bars.
Posted By: howl

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/20/23 06:54 PM

I keep a tote of food in the truck. It has everything listed above plus those jars of yellow fin tuna steaks in herbed EOO. The several of us have different preferences and we probably eat more when hunting than when not.

I put Snickers, granola fruit/nut bars, jerky and maybe an apple in my pack. I used to also take caffeinated jelly beans as an afternoon coffee substitute to avoid a headache. Sports beans?
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 02:14 AM

I make scratch biscuits. Sausage, egg and cheese on one of these. Zip loc bag that I reuse. One of these in my day pack. All I need.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Protein bars, nuts, peanut butter, Bobo bars and normally a breakfast. In blind, mule or backpack it’s all about the same. I put gallon zip lock bags together at the beginning of the year. I have two totes. Day hunt and overnight. Overnight adds a dinner

Go to’s are: Biscuits and Gravy, peaches and oats, breakfast skillet [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now I understand why you are rotund.......probably look like a coon rummaging thru those two totes.... bolt
Posted By: 8skate

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 04:30 AM

Ya'll better pack some TP with all that. Better yet Wet Wipes.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 8skate
Ya'll better pack some TP with all that. Better yet Wet Wipes.

One folded paper towel. More functional, multiple uses.
Posted By: maximum

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Also keep in mind you pack a bunch of sardines, Vienna sausages, anything that comes in a can….you will have to carry the can around with you all day.

That's not a problem
I usually have a plastic w mart sack in my
pocket to pick up trash and what not that
thoughtless trespassing bass turds throw
down- food wrappers, beer cans, spent hulls,
cigarette butts, etc.
Good stuff to show the warden
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 10:34 PM

Apples are good because you can just throw the cores and leftover apples out from your stand as bait and not have to carry them back out.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/21/23 11:05 PM

Bottled water, snack sized nuts, Jerry, apple.
That's about it, I'll eat when I get back to camp.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 01:03 AM

On DIY Colorado Archery Elk hunts, I always carried MRE, jerky, trail mix, protein bars and water.
For all day sits during deer season, PBJ sandwiches, jerky, trail mix, granola bars and water.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Apples are good because you can just throw the cores and leftover apples out from your stand as bait and not have to carry them back out.

Apples and peanut butter make a great snack
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 01:36 AM

If I'm going to hunt all day then I'm taking a small cooler. That makes it easier to take Lunchables and other food that needs to be kept cold.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
If I'm going to hunt all day then I'm taking a small cooler. That makes it easier to take Lunchables and other food that needs to be kept cold.

It’s a walk in/walk out hunt. I don’t think he wants to lug around a Coleman all day

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by JimBridger
On DIY Colorado Archery Elk hunts, I always carried MRE, jerky, trail mix, protein bars and water.
For all day sits during deer season, PBJ sandwiches, jerky, trail mix, granola bars and water.

Life’s too short to eat craaap. Up your back country game

[Linked Image]

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by JimBridger

Life’s too short to eat craaap. Up your back country game

[Linked Image]

I’m a mountain house chili mac man myself.

Lord help the person I’m sharing a tent with that night though.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 03:12 AM

It’s a walk in/walk out hunt. I don’t think he wants to lug around a Coleman all day

Yeah no cooler. Not planning to eat a lot, I was raised in a two meal a day family, but with a so so breakfast at 5 I’m probably gonna want something to munch on before 7 pm and that’s if I don’t shoot something that has to be packed out.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 03:35 AM

As you said “take with you for an all day hunt”, so I’ll not list what I eat for breakfast nor dinner as I don’t pack those with me.

Probar - one of the highest calories per ounce snack there is. And they taste good too.
Trail mix
Jerky
Almond/peanut butter packets
Tortilla/cheese/salami
Pre-made pbj or pbb(bananas) sandwich
Candy of some sort (jolly ranchers, sweet-tarts , sprees…..something for a little sugar rush)

I don’t pack all of this but an assortment of these. If it’s just an all day sit in a blind it’s way less. If it’s an out and back Western hunting day, then most of this goes with me.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Yeah no cooler. Not planning to eat a lot, I was raised in a two meal a day family, but with a so so breakfast at 5 I’m probably gonna want something to munch on before 7 pm and that’s if I don’t shoot something that has to be packed out.

Keep in mind if it’s an active hunt/long walk in you are gonna burn more calories so plan accordingly.

Bring more then you think you would need, I’m always amazed at the amount of food I go thru on a hunt
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 05:11 AM

Anytime I've ever hunted all day I've never really taken anything more than a few bags of trail mix, deer jerky, and maybe a banana and small bag of Doritos. Coffee and water are always with me. Granted, I've never done an all day hunt where I am doing a lot of moving around or hiking. One thing I would definitely take is a battery pack for my phone, Lol.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/22/23 11:53 AM

A few responses mention "bottle of water". Hydration pack...........convenient, easier to stay hydrated, no bottle to keep up with. Don't wait until you're thirsty to take in water.
Posted By: PMK

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/23/23 06:46 PM

when in the mountains, I have a large camel back bladder in my back pack compartment for water. I buy protein bars in bulk at Costco that are pretty filling for fuel. dried sausage and peanuts/almond/cashew in a zip lock bag comes in handy too. Learned a long time ago, water is the most vital element you will need but also can weigh the most as well.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 01:09 PM

Keep in mind if it’s an active hunt/long walk in you are gonna burn more calories so plan accordingly.

Bring more then you think you would need, I’m always amazed at the amount of food I go thru on a hunt

I’ve got a few extra reserves to burn lol

I got some sunflower seeds peanuts beef jerky water and some oatmeal crème pies.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 02:48 PM

What do/would you take to eat for an all day hunt?

There are a lot of really filling bars out now. Green belly meals, Condition one bars, pro bars etc

There are even companies that will build you out a daily meal plan sealed in gal bags.

Little things like bagel peanut butter and bacon make great easy to pack snacks also
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 04:46 PM

Couple of protein bars , chips and a footlong subway sandwich, and bottled water.
Posted By: LanceH

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 07:02 PM

So, for you guys doing all this eating and drinking in a stand or blind all day, how are you going to the bathroom without spooking the deer?
Posted By: PMK

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by LanceH
So, for you guys doing all this eating and drinking in a stand or blind all day, how are you going to the bathroom without spooking the deer?

depending on wind direction determines if a Gatorade bottle/milk jug is used or not. I typically do my business before I head out in the early morning for more serious matters.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/24/23 10:31 PM

My tower blind and Camper stand have a large funnel mounted to the wall with a rubber sink drain stopper on a chain to keep spiders and dirt dobbers from building nests in the hose. Mounted to the funnel is a hose run through the floor to a hole covered underground. I wired a loop or dip in the hose for a trap. Jug of water or spray cleaner to flush it down. The one in the tower has been in place for about 20 years with no problems. Camper stand also has a commercial dry toilet in the closet that uses compostable bags and kitty litter. At end of trip bag is dropped in a nearby latrine and covered with a few shovels of dirt. Tripod stand hunting, I simply bring a gatoraid or similar bottle in my day pack and do my other business before I leave camp.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/30/23 04:50 PM

18 pack and some jerky.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/30/23 11:24 PM

Water. Coffee. Then a mixture of: protein bars, snack bars, granola bars, cheese sticks, trail mix. fresh fruit, yogurt, pudding, and protein shakes. I pick several items from the mixture list. I always have a carb, protein, and fruit. I go back to camp for lunch, so don't need to cook in the deer stand. I do carry toilet tissue and hand wipes in my day pack.

Re: All day hunt food? - 01/31/23 06:18 AM

As this was a walk in/out no blind no feeder and animals were by far not there all the time. I assumed everyone has dumped in the woods…

Re: All day hunt food? - 02/01/23 04:19 PM

As this was a walk in/out no blind no feeder and animals were by far not there all the time. I assumed everyone has dumped in the woods…

so did you kill something?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: All day hunt food? - 02/02/23 05:08 AM

I try to keep a pee jug in my bling, but if not, I open the door and whiz out the back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum