Texas Hunting Forum

MR. or BUDDY

Posted By: Buzzsaw

MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 06:53 PM

Shopping for one. Which is easiest to turn on. The Buddy Heater in my friend's blind is very hard to start, meaning button is very hard to push and hold till unit starts to work. I have arthritis and its hard and hurts like he77. If I pick it up to start it in my lap, the motion sensor shuts it off before I can set it on the floor.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 07:05 PM

I always start my buddy heaters with a lighter. The dang starter on those things are too loud.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 07:12 PM

I just use the screw on burner/cooker, works just as good without any problems, everybody I know that has these has had some kind of a problem.
I have these burners/heaters in every blind.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
I always start my buddy heaters with a lighter. The dang starter on those things are too loud.
Posted By: freerange

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 08:45 PM

This is the good one imo. Little one tumps over and harder to start.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jetdad

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy

And it always takes more than one try to get it started. I use a lighter too.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/24/22 09:40 PM

Sometimes you just need to tighten the starter push button. Had one recently that the button stopped working.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 01:01 AM

I paid I think $99 for my Buddy heater 5 years ago, one of the best $99 ive ever spent

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Sometimes you just need to tighten the starter push button. Had one recently that the button stopped working.

Im always early, I pop it 4-5 times when it's cold and were off

Never thought I saw less game doing it
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 01:37 AM

I try to start mine before opening the windows to keep the clicking sound contained.

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 01:46 AM

TexDan said to push down button part way to release some gas before pushing it all the way. I tried it and it usually starts first time that way. Small but good tip from Dan.

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 01:47 AM

If there's absolutely no breeze, mine will show heat waves while looking thru glass

Thats only happened a few times, most of the time it isn't an issue
Posted By: Espy

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 02:03 AM

I saw a generic Mr buddy heater somewhere. Has anybody seen one.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 10:37 AM

I have had mine for many years...never turned over..if it did, it will go out.. it is also made for my campers. I also years used the little burner stove ...very dangerous as carbon monoxide is produced. I quite using the burner. I love "little buddy".
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 02:39 PM

My boxstand got flipped over by a flood one year in the bottoms. Filled it and my buddy heater with mud and water. Brought heater home and blew it out with air hose and it still works like new. They are nice
Posted By: Stompy

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 02:53 PM

I was at Lowes several years ago in March. They had a clearance on heaters and Buddy heaters were $25 each. They only had 2 left, so I got both of them. Both still working great.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 03:01 PM

Guys, I picked up the 9000 BTU Heat Hog up at Academy for $69 and it's pretty good. Like that the propane bottle hides in the back casing and that it tilts up to 30 degrees for more angled heating. Portable buddy and Big Buddy have no titl to them. The Big Heat Hog up to 18000 BTU also can tilt to 30 degrees. In my trailer, I can angle that Heat Hog right up to the bed.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
TexDan said to push down button part way to release some gas before pushing it all the way. I tried it and it usually starts first time that way. Small but good tip from Dan.

I'll try this.
The gas doesnt flow till i mash the start button, so a lighter is out
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/25/22 08:43 PM

I’ve never used a heater in a blind.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/26/22 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

I'll try this.
The gas doesnt flow till i mash the start button, so a lighter is out

Sometimes dirt or dust will block the flow of gas. I have had to use compressed air to clear the dirt. I don't use a heater in a deer blind but I hunt quad and tripods more then box blinds. I wish they still made the Focus 5 heaters. The Buddy heaters don't work in any kind of breeze like a boat. I used the Focus 5 when fishing in the winter. I still have one but I cannot find a new screen for it.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/26/22 03:01 AM

This one is junk. I hate it.

[Linked Image]

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/26/22 03:15 AM

I agree. Hard to start and tumps over. .
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/27/22 02:59 AM

You need one of these...

Link
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/27/22 02:55 PM

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/mr-heater-big-buddy-portable-heater

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/27/22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

You need one of these...

Link

I thought they all came with that. The bottle falls out of the holder.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: MR. or BUDDY - 12/28/22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

You need one of these...

Link

I thought they all came with that. The bottle falls out of the holder.

It seems some stands are made to fit bottles that don't have a plastic base hot glued to the bottom, while others are just a tad wider for this reason. Also, sometimes the plastic base comes off and gets stuck in the bottom of the stand making it nearly impossible to get a new bottle into it. This is something that's easy to overlook.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum