Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Urine as Attractant

Posted By: ruttingbuck611

Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/17/22 10:50 AM

Was curious to get eveyone's opinions/experiences with using urine as attractant while sitting in the stand?
prefer/not prefer? success rate?
type--doe in estrus/buck urine?
method--marinated wafers on a mesquite limb/spray out the deer blind etc?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/17/22 12:54 PM

I've never had any luck using any scent as an attractant, so I quit trying long ago.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/17/22 01:25 PM

In my experience, more harm than good. You're putting your own scent right where you're hoping to get a smart, cautious mature buck to be. Plus, you can't compete with the real thing. I promise you there is 50x more natural, fresh doe urine in your area than what you can put out.

Keep the wind in your favor, stay out of their area, access your set up with all this in mind. I like to be 150-200 yards from where I hope to attract does with my feeder. Be confident in a 300 yard shot, you'll have so many more shot opportunities and increase our odds for success this way over a few drops of stale, bottled urine. Good luck.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/17/22 01:28 PM

We've covered this before but I like the topic because I know for a fact that scents work well if used right. Practice each year and sooner or later they will work for you. I suggest you look up past conversations on this net ..that will get you an idea how to use the scents you have chosen to start with.

Keep Trying
They work!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/17/22 02:48 PM

Only time I had success with them was putting a cottonball in a film canister and putting doe urine it. I placed two of them downwind off my setup with one to my right at 2 o'clock and one to my left at 10 o'clock. I used this only when rattling or using a grunt call closer to or during rut. It was extremely well to stop deer before they hit your scent downwind. First time I tried it I was amazed at how well it brought in and then stopped bucks when rattling or grunting. It held them in place even after they had seen me. Some spooked off only to return as much as 4 times. They would snort and blow then run. I would continue to grunt or rattle bringing them back. I could tell by their reactions and actions they were smelling the urine and it had them convinced there was a doe there. It does not work all the time but when it does you will remember those days. Right time and right place will convince you they help. I kept the sealed film canister in my rattling bag.
I have never had much luck any other times I experimented with it on archery hunts. Deer didn't react one way or the other when I tried them so I never tried them much in normal hunting situation pre-rut or archery.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/21/22 12:19 PM

I’ve found that they work pretty well the first time in a new area. Most of the time a nearby buck will come investigate. They catch on pretty quick though, and I probably wouldn’t use it in an area that I frequented.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/21/22 01:10 PM

I've had bucks walk into the feeder, and not even pay attention to the estrus dripper I had 20 yards away.
Ate corn for a little while and walked off.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/21/22 01:31 PM

With just a drop or two of the right lure, I can get a female coyote to put one of her feet on a trap pan. That’s the smartest animal in the woods in Texas. I’ve had great success with deer lure too. The timing of using it before and when they are rutting is the most important factor.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Deer Urine as Attractant - 12/21/22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
I've had bucks walk into the feeder, and not even pay attention to the estrus dripper I had 20 yards away.
Ate corn for a little while and walked off.

One squat from a doe is probably 2x the amount in a whole bottle of that snake oil. A hunter is leaving his own scent behind, does in heat are leaving their scent on a dynamic trail covering miles, bucks are cruising and trailing those scents....I think this stuff is about as effective as clothing that is supposed to block your scent. For every time it may have worked, there's likely 10 times a buck was spooked from an attempt to use it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum