Texas Hunting Forum

Weird Horns - what would you do?

Posted By: B_Man

Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:08 PM

Fellow Hunters,
The pictures below are on our cameras now. I have never seen a deer with horns anywhere close to these odd ones.
There are several thoughts going through my mind along with some of the guys I sent these picture to.
Some thoughts are: 1. shoot that buck so he does not breed the does, 2. shoot it and get a shoulder mount since
the horns are very unique, 3. shoot it and get a European Mount. Of course this assumes we will get a shot at that deer.
There are a lot of good experienced hunters so I thought I would look for some more feedback. Thanks for your time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:16 PM

Here’s one I watched all season a few years ago. Then it got its butt kicked by another buck and moved to another feeder area on the ranch. A young hunter ended up taking it the last weekend of season.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:18 PM

Why wouldn't you let him grow up and see how big he gets?

If he breeds the right doe there is no telling what the offspring may do
State record or dud but I definitely wouldn't shoot him .

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by B_Man
Fellow Hunters,
The pictures below are on our cameras now. I have never seen a deer with horns anywhere close to these odd ones.
There are several thoughts going through my mind along with some of the guys I sent these picture to.
Some thoughts are: 1. shoot that buck so he does not breed the does, 2. shoot it and get a shoulder mount since
the horns are very unique, 3. shoot it and get a European Mount. Of course this assumes we will get a shot at that deer.
There are a lot of good experienced hunters so I thought I would look for some more feedback. Thanks for your time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks like he was chasing a parked car while in velvet.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:24 PM

Velvet damage?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:35 PM

If he was a 2 or 3yr old deer I'd let him walk on my place. But he looks like at least a 4yr old best I can tell. I'd take him out?
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 05:47 PM

I wouldn’t shoot him.
My grandson would, he loves any kind of drop tine.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Texas452
I wouldn’t shoot him.
My grandson would, he loves any kind of drop tine.

This is like the best answer and would be a very cool mount for a young person to grow up with and hand down someday. Quite a tale to tell.

It's not going to ruin the deer world if you make a mistake.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 06:15 PM

Here is one at my feeder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 06:20 PM

From those pics I’m thinking post mature and I’d shoot him in a heartbeat. Wonder what his teeth look like.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
From those pics I’m thinking post mature and I’d shoot him in a heartbeat. Wonder what his teeth look like.

I'm thinking he may be older than methuselah to!

I can tell you this, he is a double drop and that is more rare than hen's teeth and he'd be a Euro Mount if I saw him. Just too cool for me to pass on and I'm a sucker for the different and weird stuff! lmao
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 07:42 PM

rifle take him out of the Herd.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 07:49 PM

Bang, Bang, Flop rifle
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 08:36 PM

Looks to me like he injured the antlers in Velvet, and whether he breeds or not will not make a significant difference in your genetics. If it is genetic related, his dad has been breeding, and his Mom is likely breeding too. Regardless, of whether it was caused by injury or bad genetics, I would go with either "2. shoot it and get a shoulder mount since the horns are very unique, 3. shoot it and get a European Mount." That would be a cool deer on the wall. I also can't argue against letting him go and seeing what he turns into next year.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/01/22 08:51 PM

In your life time you will never see a buck as different from the rest as this one. I would take him in a second..this is what I dream about ..something different and unique. No one will have anything to compare to this.
The big boys paying $1000 s of dollars will not have something like this.
Good Luck ..take him!!!
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 12:38 AM

I would treat him the same way I treated this mulie in Randall County.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 01:39 AM

Shoot him if you want him, let him walk if you don't. Nothing wrong with him, and he may look completely different next year...
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to log in and respond along with adding pictures.
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. Hope your hunting season is going good.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 01:35 PM

He’s old. A hard winter will kill him if you don’t.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 02:27 PM

I'd take him. He's unique for sure.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Weird Horns - what would you do? - 12/02/22 03:24 PM

If he`s brown. He`s down.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum