Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned

Posted By: DQ Kid

Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 12:06 AM

Any that you'd like to share with the rest of THF breathern????
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:05 AM

Worst opening weekend for me ever. Lesson learned...if it can break, it will. Just couldn't get in sync all weekend.
Posted By: jskin

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:12 AM

I learned you can’t put gas in your diesel truck. Been running diesel trucks for 20 years and never done it. I guess I just flat out wasn’t paying attention. Switching between gas and diesel vehicles finally but me in the butt! Lesson learned, slow down and have a clear mind.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:15 AM

You’re not the first to make that mistake. Speaking for a friend…
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:26 AM

Left my coffee in the truck!! Daniel
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:27 AM

Working on ambulances we had a guy do it as well. Yes we do have a mix of gas/diesel but all vehicles have the type of gas in hood next to gas cap. I was working the truck the next day…. Talk about a crappy truck
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:28 AM

Acorns change everything
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 02:45 AM

Full moon sucks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by steve_twice
Full moon sucks.

Stay late in the morning whenever the moon is approaching full. It was almost 10am before I saw my first deer Saturday morning and then I saw three within a 30-minute window.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 03:28 AM

When you’re in the tree stand and hear footsteps in the brush right behind you, don’t immediately jerk your head around to look.. Might just be the only mature buck you’ll see all weekend, and you don’t want to spook it….
Posted By: maximum

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
When you’re in the tree stand and hear footsteps in the brush right behind you, don’t immediately jerk your head around to look.. Might just be the only mature buck you’ll see all weekend, and you don’t want to spook it….

These days I strive to place a stand with heavy brush or
other obstacles behind me and I'll have a kill zone where I
can't swivel around and get busted moving my head/upper body
around trying to see whatever. Been busted by the old
wise does too many times. Turn back around and there's the
old biddy staring straight at you within spitting distance.
They also snort the loudest after they busted you and are
running away at top speed
Posted By: BC211

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 01:19 PM

If the man who set the timers last says he "thinks" he remembers the AM feed time he set - give yourself an extra 30 earlier than normal just in case
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 02:06 PM

I have come to rely on iphone too much to pass time while sitting. I forgot my phone and glasses Sunday morning and found myself missing the ability to access the internet. Flip side, for the first time in a long time I was able to sit quietly and observe the beauty of the sunrise, the waking of the birds, and overall more in tune with my surroundings. Going to make a strong effort to minimize my time on the phone while hunting.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
I have come to rely on iphone too much to pass time while sitting. I forgot my phone and glasses Sunday morning and found myself missing the ability to access the internet. Flip side, for the first time in a long time I was able to sit quietly and observe the beauty of the sunrise, the waking of the birds, and overall more in tune with my surroundings. Going to make a strong effort to minimize my time on the phone while hunting.

There was a reason those first Blackberry devices were often called "Crackberries".
Posted By: Judd

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 03:39 PM

Make sure your scope is on your zero and not 14.25 or 15 MOA high from shooting 700y last time out bang He didn't survive the 3rd shot...our deer are HUNGRY and evidently stupid roflmao
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 03:49 PM

Opener wasn't good at all. saw some young bucks already chasing does around and it is going to be hot all this week.
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 07:52 PM

Check your "neighbors' fence at least a week ahead of time so that you dont have a herd of cattle on your place all week the week before knocking down/emptying feeders
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 07:57 PM

Yep, I once drove my wife's vehicle for 2 weeks and then filled my diesel truck up with gas the day we made the switch back. Painful.
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 09:39 PM

When your ex wife sends you with your youngest daughter and says, "Ah it's just allergies".......Nope it's pink eye and a trip to urgent care on opening day in BFE and the whole family likely gets it.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by TxAggie10
Acorns change everything
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 09:47 PM

That is excellent. up I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote (of course I'm probably paraphrasing, since I can't remember who said it) that says..."Most of the world's problems are caused by men who cannot sit alone, in a room, quietly, for any length of time." I'd be much obliged to any member on here that could cite this quote properly. up

My first sit of the season every year now I know that "it's a process" to "tune out and turn on", "get back in the groove", etcetera.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 10:00 PM

Many moons ago I learned to double check that your magazine is with your rifle, not sitting on a shelf in you safe back at home. Still got my deer that day, but glad as heck I didn't need a fast follow up shot.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/07/22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That is excellent. up I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote (of course I'm probably paraphrasing, since I can't remember who said it) that says..."Most of the world's problems are caused by men who cannot sit alone, in a room, quietly, for any length of time." I'd be much obliged to any member on here that could cite this quote properly. up

My first sit of the season every year now I know that "it's a process" to "tune out and turn on", "get back in the groove", etcetera.

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone," wrote the French philosopher Blaise Pascal.

As I should have said, at first, I was missing the phone, but quickly decided I was better off without it and spent the rest of the time enjoying the process....
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/08/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by TxAggie10
Acorns change everything

Yes, this!!!!
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/08/22 02:46 AM

If you use The Timer. Don't set P1 to 5:00PM 0 sec spin and P2 5:00PM 5 sec spin and expect it to go off at 5:00PM
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/08/22 05:13 AM

Acorns don’t change anything. Deer have always eaten them.
Posted By: YassirSanchez

Re: Opening Weekend - Lessons Learned - 11/09/22 02:30 PM

Acorns
Full moon
Clear sky
Wind
Warm temps

Create a perfect storm for not seeing deer.

Still beats the hell out of sitting at home though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum