Texas Hunting Forum

Panhandle Rut Timing

Posted By: rolltide05

Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 04:59 PM

Hey guys I’m trying to lock down my second trip to TX this year and bouncing around with dates. I already have a trip set for the whole thanksgiving week in Quanah. My second trip is in Stinnett (Hutchinson Co) and I have the option to go the week before or the week after thanksgiving. Want to make sure I get it a close as I can to the mature deer getting on their feet but not locked down.

Which would y’all advise?
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 05:01 PM

Week before
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 05:14 PM

At our place (15th year), the week of Thanksgiving always seems to be the best week of hunting.
But that good cold front doesn't come until after Thanksgiving it seems.

I'd take the week after...
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 05:57 PM

I like end of Oct for Wyoming mule deer. Bucks start staging with doe groups and the rut is not full on by any means. Just fun time to hunt them not in the rut.
And they don't stink as much yet.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 08:36 PM

My does in Hall County are all still fat and we haven't seen any fawns yet. Do some deer math and you should get an idea of when to go. I usually like the week before Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/13/22 08:45 PM

I've been hunting up near Canadian for 22 years now. I pick the week before Thanksgiving every year. I like catching those big bucks out roaming/looking around, not holed up in a plum thicket for 5 days. Utopia is when this week coincides with no moon.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/14/22 04:36 PM

In Dickens county the week before and after Thanksgiving are the most productive!!!
Posted By: LtizzleMcTiz

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/16/22 02:51 AM

I always thought the rut was really after the actual season and this was done so internationally by TPWD to keep people from blasting a bunch of love struck mulie bucks in full heat
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/16/22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by LtizzleMcTiz
I always thought the rut was really after the actual season and this was done so internationally by TPWD to keep people from blasting a bunch of love struck mulie bucks in full heat

They are talking about the white tail rut. You are correct that the mulie rut is post Christmas most years. Well after the mule deer season ends.
Posted By: deer chaser

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/20/22 04:55 AM

Last season the week after Thanksgiving was best for us just North of Childress
Posted By: freerange

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/20/22 04:39 PM

I would say the week before but many things can be factored in.
Posted By: Herron

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/20/22 09:56 PM

My family has a place just south of Canadian that I've hunted the last 20+ years. While the week before T-Day can be good, it can also be, and often is, too warm. Given a choice, I wouldn't hesitate to take the week after. That said, the "con" of waiting is that you will likely see more busted up racks assuming a healthy buck to doe ratio.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Panhandle Rut Timing - 06/21/22 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Herron
My family has a place just south of Canadian that I've hunted the last 20+ years. While the week before T-Day can be good, it can also be, and often is, too warm. Given a choice, I wouldn't hesitate to take the week after. That said, the "con" of waiting is that you will likely see more busted up racks assuming a healthy buck to doe ratio.

Very true. It seems you can tell what time of year it is by how busted up the racks are. Big heavy boys in the panhandle.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum