Texas Hunting Forum

When to expect fawns?

Posted By: 603Country

When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 03:05 PM

I always look for fawns when I’m shredding pasture. Didn’t see any this morning, thank goodness. Anybody seen any fawns yet?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 03:07 PM

Next June if this drought keeps up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 04:14 PM

Should be any day.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Should be any day.

I was mowing trails to our stands and feeders Saturday and saw two. Always scares me mowing this time of year.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 05:54 PM

Checked my camera yesterday and got a photo of a doe that looked like she was about to pop.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/10/22 08:10 PM

You can expect fawns, in Dewitt Co., from May1 until as late as Sept.. Most of mine shows up all during May but you may not see them for a couple of weeks from the time they are born.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 12:27 AM

First one showed up in the front yard this evening.
Posted By: rickym

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 01:33 AM

Cass county has fawns dropping, according to the wife’s grandma.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 03:34 AM

Usually May in McCulloch county.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 01:27 PM

This one landed June 04 last year. Bosque County.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 01:37 PM

Should be any day.

Yep. This girl's about to pop.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/11/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I always look for fawns when I’m shredding pasture. Didn’t see any this morning, thank goodness. Anybody seen any fawns yet?

201 day gestation period so if the rut in your area is in early November you should start seeing fawns drop in the next week or so
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 12:20 AM

We saw our first on this evening. Appeared to be only a few hours old.

On the down side, we found a doe dead in the back of the house a couple days ago. It looks like she died while trying to give birth. Fluid all around her back end but no fawn. Her belly was still quite large.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 01:14 AM

Still haven’t seen a new fawn here yet. I finished all the pasture shredding today and no fawns were harmed, thank goodness.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 07:24 AM

Took a picture of a fawn on March 9th in Kimble County.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Papalote

You sure it was a white tail?

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 11:52 AM

Yes

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 12:08 PM

[Linked Image]

March 9, 2022
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 01:38 PM

That would mean if the fawn was born the week you saw it the doe had to have been bred around the 1st week of September.

Now that would really be early for sure

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 01:55 PM

Yessir. Bucks were chasing early.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/13/22 10:07 PM

Not so early but really early!!...our rutt starts around the middle of Sept.....however, the earliest I have a picture of was April 29. Dewitt Co. That is a far cry from the peak of the rutt..which is around Nov. 20. However last week of Oct. is pretty good also. So, 201 days before April 29 would be October10, plus or minus a few days. So the fawn was conceived around August 20 ...supper early..for us. I have never herd of a fawn born that early..but I haven't seen everything so I guess it could happen.
Posted By: bp3

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/14/22 03:46 AM

Friend had one laying in his back yard on west edge of Graham (Young ) county yesterday morning.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/17/22 10:16 PM

Earlier today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/17/22 10:20 PM

Giraffes! roflmao Great pic. up
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/18/22 02:12 PM

The does laying around my house look to be 10 days to two weeks away from dropping. Not sure how many are going to survive the drought as I am already overstocked...
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/18/22 08:47 PM

From this morn -
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/20/22 12:24 AM

[Linked Image]

March 9, 2022

Looks like an axis fawn to me.

Yessir. Bucks were chasing early.

While still in velvet?
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/20/22 03:31 AM

Franklin County last weekend. Seen a bunch.
Posted By: mikei

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/21/22 05:59 PM

This little wise-arse is napping under my shooting bench: 5/21; Mason County
Posted By: freerange

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/22/22 02:38 PM

Saw a teeny one north of Muenster beside road yesterday. He started to get up and Mom stomped her foot and he went back down.
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/23/22 07:10 PM

Saw a couple up in North Texas this past weekend - still have a few does on cam that are ready to drop any day.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/24/22 12:15 AM

Seen a doe on my place in NW Gillespie County that had her bag full or milk. She will have a fawn very soon. Would not be surprised if there are not a few fawns already on the ground here. On my old place in Goliad County, I would see fawns on the highways close to my place late May....mine were not moving with the does till the first week of June most years. So they were about 2 weeks old then.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/30/22 06:20 PM

Saw the first pronghorn fawn this morning and another doe giving birth by the highway.
We have a winter storm possibly coming so hoping some will hold off a couple of days to birth.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/30/22 07:19 PM

I haven’t seen a fawn yet on our place, but that doesn’t mean much. I keep getting pics of a very pregnant doe at the back feeder.

Yesterday afternoon I went over to the wife’s vegetable garden to do some watering. I heard what I thought was a deer snorting. Well, it wasn’t that, and it went on for a long while. It got real loud and sounded like the critter was in real pain. I grabbed a 22 and started sneaking up on the sound. I was real close when the sound stopped. I wonder what it was and why it was making so much noise. I don’t think a fawn could make that much noise, but maybe…
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/30/22 09:11 PM

603---it could have been a baby rabbit. Have you ever heard one of them scream?? Baby fawns scream too

I must admit, I get pretty jacked up this time of year thinking about the number of fawns that we lose each year to coyotes/bobcats
Posted By: hopalong

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/30/22 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ctonsmitty
603---it could have been a baby rabbit. Have you ever heard one of them scream?? Baby fawns scream too

I must admit, I get pretty jacked up this time of year thinking about the number of fawns that we lose each year to coyotes/bobcats

and pigs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: When to expect fawns? - 05/31/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by ctonsmitty

and pigs.

[Linked Image]

realmad rifle
Posted By: Espy

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/01/22 06:11 PM

Saw my first one today (McLennan county) must of just been born it could barely walk mom wasn’t happy so I backed away.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/06/22 12:47 PM

They are dropping in Mason and Llano counties.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/06/22 01:26 PM

Pronghorn are dropping twins right now, up here.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/06/22 04:05 PM

Had a doe start chasing my dogs and me in the front yard three days ago, so I know she had one somewhere close. She brought it to the backyard feeder yesterday and again this morning. Sorry for the blurry picture, all I had was my phone at the time.
[Linked Image]

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/06/22 08:46 PM

My panhandle does are still fat. No fawns seen yet.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 12:07 AM

Based on when the rut is, we are days away from peak fawning.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 12:33 AM

Had a new set of twins show up in the front yard a couple days ago. Makes 3 fawns hanging around so far.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 12:55 AM

Had a new set of twins show up in the front yard a couple days ago. Makes 3 fawns hanging around so far.

But are there any baby quails?

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 01:16 AM

Had a little honey hole 25years ago on the county line Free. Lost access to that property, then heard no more birds after a big fire went through the ranch 20 years ago. But did see my first couple turkeys in the area couple weeks ago.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 07:30 AM

Found a doe that died a few days ago while giving birth.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 12:26 PM

First fawns were seen yesterday...twins. Have found 2 does dead trying to fawn and one other that was not going to make it. She could not have the fawn and was sick at water on my neighbors ranch.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/07/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
First fawns were seen yesterday...twins. Have found 2 does dead trying to fawn and one other that was not going to make it. She could not have the fawn and was sick at water on my neighbors ranch.

So what's the fawning mortality rate for does? I never really thought about it, but anecdotal observations on the forum says it's higher than anyone might think.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/09/22 11:20 PM

[Linked Image]
Just got this pic. This fawn isn’t brand new, so I’ve had fawns longer than I thought.

Would my foxes take down a fawn, I wonder?
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/10/22 02:38 AM

Does are still fat in Johnson county . Expecting to see them soon
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/10/22 03:52 PM

I saw a brand new fawn on my game camera with it's mom going down a gulley on June 1 and two days later I spooked a larger one on top of my largest pond dike in some tall grass. This was in Houston County.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/10/22 11:12 PM

No fawns seen yet but doe sightings are also down...suspect some little ones are finally dropping. wife
Posted By: Jon

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/18/22 01:52 AM

I have one I think is looking pretty ready to pop one out. Have only seen one that looked way too little to be last years - maybe a couple months old and no spots. Unless it was a real late one from last year and just a runt due to the drought? Conditions been terrible out here in Howard county about 8 miles south of Big Spring. I looked at one of the drought maps and we're in the dark brown color - exceptional drought which is the worse rating they use.

We finally got a combined 1/2" of rain over a 3 day span around 3 weeks ago. It put enough moisture in to green up some grass and weeds just recently. Before that, they were snacking on Mesquite leaves and some kind of little nondesript low weeds that managed to come up somehow. The deer were and still are all looking skinny. We had one of last years fawns die around a month ago. She had some kind of patchy spots all over one side and didn't look very healthy.

The pic below was about an hour ago and she still has ribs and backbone showing but looks healthy otherwise. I thought they usually had fawns earlier than this but can't really remember. Seems like over at Brownwood, we would see the babies way earlier than this some years when the Crappie were still spawning. If we don't get some more rain out here, I bet a lot of the new fawns around here won't survive it.

[Linked Image]

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/18/22 10:17 PM

Still none seen at my place yet.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/18/22 10:26 PM

Gonna be rough on the little ones this summer!
Posted By: Marsh Monkey

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/24/22 11:14 PM

With no rain since October of last year and virtually no ground cover at all on our place I'll be surprised if any fawns survive this year. The hogs and the coyotes are even starving to death.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/25/22 12:12 AM

I have before and after pics of what I think is same doe and her fawn. The pis are on the same day.

Look close at the second pic.

Attached picture T__00023.JPG
Attached picture T__00024.JPG
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/25/22 01:00 AM

Had one really tiny fawn come running out into the clearing a few days ago. Cute little thing. Came out again the next day. No mama seen until I turned on my varmint caller in "fawn distress" mode. Doe came out on the opposite side of the field and was running back and forth like crazy. That was interesting!

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/25/22 03:26 PM

We’ve only seen one fawn so far, and no fawns on the game cameras. The wife is worried and so am I. Our ponds are still looking good, so there is water available for the critters.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/25/22 03:51 PM

We started seeing them 2-3 weeks ago here in MO. I figured they would of dropped sooner in TX

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/25/22 11:14 PM

Nothing on my cam so far either.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/26/22 11:34 AM

Went from seeing this at the barn...
[Linked Image]
To finding one like this in my yard 2 days ago...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/26/22 12:18 PM

Any clue as to what got the fawn?

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/26/22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Any clue as to what got the fawn?

Not really. Could be excessive heat and very hot ground temps. Could be mother could not support twins. Could be the female grey fox that I see regularly in my yard that killed it to feed who young ones. Don't really know for sure but finding them dead is not that uncommon. To find them you just have to beat the vultures, cara cara and predators that clean them up as fast as they die.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/27/22 07:59 PM

My hay buyer buddy came by today to get some round bales. He said he had seen more fawns this year than in previous years. Well, we still haven’t, it I see does acting protective (running off foxes), so I expect we do have some.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/27/22 10:26 PM

I've found parts of fawns in Llano and Blanco counties. No live ones yet.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/28/22 02:48 PM

I saw my first one of the year yesterday, in a park area in north Austin.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/28/22 05:55 PM

Saw one yesterday in front of the house. Looked lost and scared running up the road.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: When to expect fawns? - 06/28/22 06:46 PM

Saw my first one today spry and healthy with momma . I was headed north I think I was in wise county at the time
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/20/22 04:35 PM

I've only got one fawn on camera right now at the feeder. I have several pics of doe-only groups of 4-6 animals. Are they just leaving them when they come to the feeder or is this a drought/coyote result? Feeder is un-fenced and goes off at 5:45 am and 8:45 pm, Mills county, throwing corn/soybean mix.

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/20/22 09:36 PM

I'd like to know as well. I finally got my first pics of fawns a few days ago, possibly triplets. They weren't new but looked to be about 4-6 weeks old.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/20/22 09:43 PM

Saw a spotted fawn in Houston County last week while going to check a game camera, then found a photo on a pregnant doe on the camera.
Posted By: don k

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/20/22 10:31 PM

I think the dingo's or dry heat got all of ours.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/20/22 11:01 PM

I saw two different fawns last week at the lease. Deer are still looking healthy even with no rain for a couple months.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: When to expect fawns? - 07/22/22 05:56 AM

Have two does that hang near the house. One old doe has twins, the other a single. Sometimes the does are alone. Sometimes the fawns are tagging along. I am no expert but the does don't look all that fat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum