Texas Hunting Forum

white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties

Posted By: Sniper John

white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/25/22 02:43 AM

This is a big one.
"Allow the take of white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties and modify other deer hunting seasons within those counties."

Public Input Sought on Texas Hunting Regulation Proposals for 2022-2023
https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20220223b
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/25/22 11:15 PM

Sure will
Posted By: Curly

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/26/22 02:34 AM

popcorn
Posted By: StraitShot

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/26/22 02:46 AM

Deer in Rockwall County ? We have ducks, geese, gators, coyotes, hogs when the lake is low and bobcats. .. I've never seen deer...that'd be interesting..
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/26/22 03:20 AM

To me, this should be left to the residents of said counties mentioned

TPWD should have the tech to allow votes from said areas

Why would my input from Wise Co matter if the guys in Grayson should or shouldn't be able to shoot a deer with a rifle or not?

It falls along the lines of State rights to me
Posted By: BigfootWallace

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/26/22 02:20 PM

The thought of deer hunting with the tranquil sounds of the expressway in the background just doesn't do it for me. roflmao
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 02/26/22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
The thought of deer hunting with the tranquil sounds of the expressway in the background just doesn't do it for me. roflmao

'Same as brand-new, expensive houses I see going up with a beautiful view of IH10 within .25 mile or less. 'Guess "Look at me looking down on you" is way more important than what must sound like a busy airport runway right outside your front door.
Posted By: FFF21

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 04:17 AM

My deer population and quality has definitely dropped since they opened the archery season in 2012. I guess if they are wanting to get rid of the deer altogether in Collin County, then a rifle season would make sense.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 02:02 PM

A few weeks ago on the Lonestar Outdoor Show podcast this was a topic that was discussed. The TPWD person he had on said it is pretty much the high fenced MLD places that are pushing for this. They are having trouble filling their tags, sounds like a them problem...
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 02:43 PM

Too many residential developments and small acerage tracts of land with homes intermixed to make a gun season reasonable and safe. I could go for the use of crossbows in archery season but can’t get behind a gun season.
Posted By: Erny

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Westtexan1
Too many residential developments and small acerage tracts of land with homes intermixed to make a gun season reasonable and safe. I could go for the use of crossbows in archery season but can’t get behind a gun season.

Harris, Tarrant, Travis, Bexar all allow rifle hunting. You mean to tell me that the county with the forth largest city USA isn't more developed than Grayson County?
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Erny

Harris, Tarrant, Travis, Bexar all allow rifle hunting. You mean to tell me that the county with the forth largest city USA isn't more developed than Grayson County?

Lol!!

You should never cloud the issue with facts!!!

This is supposed to be a free country, fire away in my opinion.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/01/22 08:22 PM

If that’s the case why do they currently allow hog hunting in these counties with a center fire rifle even at night as well as daylight?

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/02/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

If that’s the case why do they currently allow hog hunting in these counties with a center fire rifle even at night as well as daylight?

Sh!t. Good point. Well then Ill just say I don’t want a firearm season in at least Collin County just because I don’t want it. There is some giants and I think being bow only contributes alot to that.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/02/22 04:03 AM

Great point!
Lack of access to viable hunting property private and government owned has the most to do with it in my opinion. My in-laws have been in northern Collin county on small acreage for decades and only recently in the last 10 years or so have they started seeing Deer or had their neighbors seeing deer. Most of the landowners around them whether they are in the hundreds to 1000 acres don’t deer hunt nor would they provide access to hunting even if leasing was viable source of income. There are some monsters up there for sure, you just have a hard time getting to them regardless of weapon restrictions.
Of course I live in the no deer but coyotes and bobcats in your front yard part of Collin county.
Posted By: briancooper

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/02/22 04:07 AM

What about a shotgun season in those counties? We have land in Collin Co. and would be willing to see that happen but the population would be too drastically reduced (we don’t have enough deer anyway) to support a rifle season.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/04/22 03:22 PM

Here is a petition against it, the majority of deer hunters in the county did not want this rule change 10 years ago when they tried to do it and I would guess that hasn't changed this go round https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=339832281492131&set=a.177962291012465

An interesting note the people who petitioned the state for this are both non residents, one lives in oklahoma and one of them has been arrested in the past for illegally trafficking deer across state lines, and prosecuted under the Lacey act. They have a 2200 acre high fence operation in one of the counties. The public hearing on this should be interesting next Wednesday

Meeting Date: March 9, 2022
Time: Starts at 7:00pm
Location: Grayson College Center for Workplace Learning, CWL Auditorium
6101 Grayson Dr (Hwy 691)
Denison, TX 75020
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/06/22 07:55 AM

I saw allow hunting in all counties period. Just don't cross the lines.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/06/22 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
I saw allow hunting in all counties period. Just don't cross the lines.

I agree. A landowner or hunter can still regulate the hunting by weapon choice on his land/lease also. Many do that in other counties now.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/07/22 06:59 PM

Here a link to the petition that allows electronic signature option, take literally seconds to do Petition Opposing
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/07/22 09:44 PM

If you never seen the deer around Rockwall spend some time at lake Tawakoni. Whitetails and axis deer around that lake need hunting bad. I wonder if the axis outnumber the raccoons… seriously.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/07/22 10:21 PM

Well I know they don’t. ^^ But they come out in broad daylight in the middle of camp, I’ve seen them right by the little office where you check in to camp out there, hanging around in little groups. There are pa-lenty of deer in certain areas around Rockwall.

But they should be hunted on a draw. If you open the floodgates the orange army will trample that place to death.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/07/22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Well I know they don’t. ^^ But they come out in broad daylight in the middle of camp, I’ve seen them right by the little office where you check in to camp out there, hanging around in little groups. There are pa-lenty of deer in certain areas around Rockwall.

But they should be hunted on a draw. If you open the floodgates the orange army will trample that place to death.

Same thing with lake Lavon, there are giant deer on the corp land there but they don't allow them to be hunted even with archery tackle.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Here a link to the petition that allows electronic signature option, take literally seconds to do Petition Opposing

Hard pass…..reading the comments on the petition remind me of how selfish people are…… they never mentioned how many deer get wounded but never found…..how archery eliminates a large portion of the population like youngsters and women that don’t have the strength or skills….

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 02:54 PM

Hard pass…..reading the comments on the petition remind me of how selfish people are…… they never mentioned how many deer get wounded but never found…..how archery eliminates a large portion of the population like youngsters and women that don’t have the strength or skills….

You can use a crossbow now in those counties, its now defined as archery equipment by state so the eliminates a large portion of the population like youngsters and women that don’t have the strength or skills argument cannot be made.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 03:13 PM

You can use a crossbow now in those counties, its now defined as archery equipment by state so the eliminates a large portion of the population like youngsters and women that don’t have the strength or skills argument cannot be made.

Sure it can….crossbows are heavy and require more skill and shot selection IE distance, shot angle and noise… not to exclude more money for the equipment….

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 05:30 PM

Just make it a drawn hunt. Most ACOE places are archery or smoothbore shotgun slug only for pigs anyway. Couple that with a draw that gives them the most control over how it’s hunted and what is taken. And a lottery to hunt Tawakoni is gonna generate a lot of money for TPWD

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 05:34 PM

Just make it a drawn hunt. Most ACOE places are archery or smoothbore shotgun slug only for pigs anyway. Couple that with a draw that gives them the most control over how it’s hunted and what is taken. And a lottery to hunt Tawakoni is gonna generate a lot of money for TPWD

The people that own bordering land don't want no lotto hunt, they like having a refuge to grow the deer they shoot when they jump the fence.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 06:13 PM

Weird how people on a hunting forum would oppose hunting in any legal form. Biden voters?

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 06:54 PM

The land owners are not hunting corps land. They can do what they want, they won’t let the orange army spoil their assets.

The public ground, ACOE ground, absolutely needs to be a lottery draw

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rickt300
Weird how people on a hunting forum would oppose hunting in any legal form. Biden voters?

We’re not. At least I’m not. But you can’t just open the floodgates on a honey hole this close to Dallas. It would be a disaster.

Hell I would be perfectly fine with it if you could ONLY hunt the private ground. The landowners have a lot more restraint than Joe public. Coming from someone who has no access to private ground.

You have to ease into this deal

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 08:26 PM

We’re not. At least I’m not. But you can’t just open the floodgates on a honey hole this close to Dallas. It would be a disaster.

Hell I would be perfectly fine with it if you could ONLY hunt the private ground. The landowners have a lot more restraint than Joe public. Coming from someone who has no access to private ground.

What the hell are you talking about, there is little to no public land for deer hunting in those 4 counties, the biggest portion in Texoma corp land in Grayson county and Hagerman refuge in Grayson also which limits the draw to only around 180 bowhunters a year, all the other corp land in those counties doesn't permit deer hunting.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 10:06 PM

IMO if you consider the fact the private land in these 2 counties is already lightly hunted and very difficult to lease, the impact isn’t as significant as counties that lease most of the land….

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 10:59 PM

What the hell are you talking about, there is little to no public land for deer hunting in those 4 counties, the biggest portion in Texoma corp land in Grayson county and Hagerman refuge in Grayson also which limits the draw to only around 180 bowhunters a year, all the other corp land in those counties doesn't permit deer hunting.

Are you seriously that dense? Most corps lane around the metroplex doesn’t allow deer hunting BECAUSE IT IS MANAGED BY TPWD!

Corps land all over the country allows deer hunting BUT NOT THERE. Because deer were SCARCE for a very long time.

I get you want more opportunities. Well I don’t want to see the opportunities GO STRAIGHT TO [censored]. And they will.

You are forgetting that Dallas is one of the most populous parts of the USA. During peak traffic, the city of Dallas is THE MOST populous city in the United States.

This is a different time and place then it used to be. They take poachers more seriously because if everybody in the metroplex decided to hunt and shot one deer we’d run out of deer long before we got that far.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 11:01 PM

There’s a reason all the public dove places nearby suck. They get trampled

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/08/22 11:16 PM

Make corps land deer hunting a lottery draw and charge at least $25 per entry to make it interesting to serious hunters. Big time Texas Hunts.

If you just want to kill SOMETHING go shoot pigs on Bardwell, Lavon, Tawakoni. You always had that.

Deer attract too many hunters to just open it up.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 12:11 AM

Make corps land deer hunting a lottery draw and charge at least $25 per entry to make it interesting to serious hunters. Big time Texas Hunts.

If you just want to kill SOMETHING go shoot pigs on Bardwell, Lavon, Tawakoni. You always had that.

You have gone way off from the OP. Why are you ranting about not allowing open permit deer hunting or corp land in Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties? The OP is about opening a rifle season in said counties.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 12:14 AM

Look like they got the local politicians involved, good for Grayson and Collin from letting tpwd paint with a broad brush proclamation opposing the TPWD proposal

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by bossbowman

You have gone way off from the OP. Why are you ranting about not allowing open permit deer hunting or corp land in Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties? The OP is about opening a rifle season in said counties.

I am right on topic. Where is the public access to good deer? And as far as I know, the best of the deer hunting in these areas? On the corps lakes, and only on the corps lakes, specifically Tawakoni and Lavon. The reason there is no deer hunting on these corps lakes is because they are managed my TPWD. This change in law will probably open these areas up to deer hunters. Already good for pigs and ducks, and doves but DEER change everything. People lose their minds on opening day of rifle season, it can get pretty serious pretty quick.

I hunt public. You should see where I hunt on opening day of rifle season. I have literally walked 2 miles through thick brush, crossed two tributaries with about 20’ high mud banks I like to not have made it out of, just to run into more dudes in orange. Thank God rifle season is only ten days here. And I am not near a city close to the size of Dallas.

Worse when I lived in North Carolina. I stopped counting trucks at 20 in one area, I hadn’t walked a mile.

I am all for the public ground and access but so close to Dallas, you have to be careful. Why is the is so hard to grasp?

I’m not worried about the private land or landowners they will not let the orange army in. I am worried how it will effect the corps lakes in the area. They are loaded with good deer, it’s a wasted resource for sure they should be hunted. But I would not just open it up to all walk in deer hunters in those areas or it will be ruined PDQ. It’s too close to a huge urban center, to just let everyone have at it at one time. They need to ease into it.

This is just my opinion, you don’t have to agree.

Edit- if they leave deer hunting the corps lakes off the table that would be almost just as bad

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 02:41 AM

Look like they got the local politicians involved, good for Grayson and Collin from letting tpwd paint with a broad brush proclamation opposing the TPWD proposal

Please post the broad brush TPW painted…. I missed it….

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 02:52 AM

[/u][u]

Please post the broad brush TPW painted…. I missed it….

Work Session Item No. 12
Presenters: Alan Cain
Shawn Gray
Shaun Oldenburger

Work Session
2022-2023 Statewide Hunting and Migratory Game Bird Proclamation
Request Permission to Publish Proposed Changes in the Texas Register
January 26, 2022

I. Executive Summary: With this item, the staff seeks permission to publish proposed amendments to the Statewide Hunting Proclamation and the Migratory Game Bird Proclamation in the Texas Register for public comment. The proposed amendments would:

Deer

Modify proof-of-sex, tagging, and final destination requirements to facilitate chronic wasting disease (CWD) management strategies.
Implement harvest regulations for the take of white-tailed deer in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties similar to those in effect in surrounding counties, including take by firearm; require mandatory harvest reporting.
Expand mule deer antler restrictions to additional counties and expand season from 9 days to 16 days in the southwest Panhandle.

Good grief. I apologize. This is what I was able to look up.

There is no “broad brush”. The proposal is basically let TPWD manage the deer there with hunters… makes sense to me. Looks like they haven’t worked out the details.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 04:58 AM

I am right on topic. Where is the public access to good deer? And as far as I know, the best of the deer hunting in these areas? On the corps lakes, and only on the corps lakes, specifically Tawakoni and Lavon. The reason there is no deer hunting on these corps lakes is because they are managed my TPWD. This change in law will probably open these areas up to deer hunters. Already good for pigs and ducks, and doves but DEER change everything. People lose their minds on opening day of rifle season, it can get pretty serious pretty quick.

I hunt public. You should see where I hunt on opening day of rifle season. I have literally walked 2 miles through thick brush, crossed two tributaries with about 20’ high mud banks I like to not have made it out of, just to run into more dudes in orange. Thank God rifle season is only ten days here. And I am not near a city close to the size of Dallas.

Worse when I lived in North Carolina. I stopped counting trucks at 20 in one area, I hadn’t walked a mile.

I am all for the public ground and access but so close to Dallas, you have to be careful. Why is the is so hard to grasp?

I’m not worried about the private land or landowners they will not let the orange army in. I am worried how it will effect the corps lakes in the area. They are loaded with good deer, it’s a wasted resource for sure they should be hunted. But I would not just open it up to all walk in deer hunters in those areas or it will be ruined PDQ. It’s too close to a huge urban center, to just let everyone have at it at one time. They need to ease into it.

This is just my opinion, you don’t have to agree.

Edit- if they leave deer hunting the corps lakes off the table that would be almost just as bad

LOL you obviously aren't from around here, other than Texoma there is no rifle hunting on corp land in North Texas and this rule change would have no effect on Ray Bob, Ray Hubbard or Lavon which currently don't allow deer hunting and still won't. Also the state doesn't control these areas, they aren't even state land, they are federal United States Army Corp of Engineers owned lands.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 01:30 PM

I was born and raised near Dallas. Balch Springs, Mesquite, and Rowlett.

No deer hunting on the Corps lakes comes straight from TPWD and has nothing to do with the US Army Corps of Engineers. The State of Texas manages the fish and game. I’ve hunted Corps lakes in three states.

You need to do some more homework “Lone Wolf”

Not that long ago there were no deer in these areas. It’s been a long time coming.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 02:04 PM

The state does not set the rules on the ACE land unless they lease it as a WMA, if its not designated WMA the rules/wildlife management are set by the corp.
FYI meeting is today
Meeting Date: March 9, 2022
Time: Starts at 7:00pm
Location: Grayson College Center for Workplace Learning, CWL Auditorium
6101 Grayson Dr (Hwy 691)
Denison, TX 75020
Posted By: rickt300

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 05:15 PM

The land owners are not hunting corps land. They can do what they want, they won’t let the orange army spoil their assets.

Why?

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 08:59 PM

Why?

I already explained myself on that, read the thread. You don’t have to agree

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/09/22 09:02 PM

Could run it like some of the national forests too. Buy permits/tags in person, first come first serve until they run out.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/11/22 07:49 PM

yes, centerfire rifle

eliminate archery and muzzle loader seasons

make all the same

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/11/22 10:16 PM

It was an interesting meeting

Grayson County voices emphatic no to firearm proposal
March 10, 2022
If there’s one saying I’ve seen play itself out more than once in the 30-plus years I’ve been writing about the outdoors in this space, it’s that when it comes to Grayson County and its whitetail resource, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

That statement was true once again on Wednesday night at the Grayson College Center for Workplace Learning as sharp battle lines were drawn once again in an ongoing whitetail struggle that has simmered — and occasionally threatened to boil over — for just more than a quarter century now.

That battle, of course, is between local constituents and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department over the idea of opening up a firearms deer season in the local woods and ending the bowhunting only regulations that have been in place since the 1980s.

As has been the case previously, a full-house crowd on Wednesday night greeted the Austin-based agency as TPWD white-tailed deer program leader Alan Cain and other Department representatives watched the curtain come up on the fourth public meeting on this issue since the mid-1990s.

Cain opened the night by stepping to the podium and presenting his agency’s reasons for pushing this proposal forward in the regulatory process, a proposal that originated last spring when a private wildlife biologist and an out-of-state deer breeder petitioned the state to allow firearm deer hunting in Grayson, Collin, Dallas, and Rockwall Counties, locations currently governed by archery-only deer hunting regulations.

That presentation was then followed by a steady parade of local politicians, hunters, and residents who spent more than an hour giving their own strong opinions about the matter.

In short, it wasn’t a pleasant evening to have a business card from the TPWD Wildlife Division. With 280 people in attendance by my count — and with a Change.org petition against the proposal holding more than 1,800- signatures as of Wednesday evening — local residents brought another strong wave of opposition to the TPWD idea.
The night’s public comment period was led by Grayson County Judge Bill Magers, who came out strongly against the state proposal once again.

“(I) do believe in local control and what I want you to hear from me very succinctly is other than the property owner of a high fence (ranch), I have not heard from one constituent that supports this,” Magers told Cain and the other TPWD representatives who were present. “Not one…deer hunter, no deer hunter, Sherman resident, in the county, whatever, there has not been one person that has said I’m supporting this.”

Magers then pointed to the resolution passed the previous day by himself and the Grayson County Commissioners Court.

“You have our resolution,” Magers told Cain. “It’s not a letter, sir, it’s a resolution. I want to make sure that’s clear, that it was unanimously voted (on), unanimously voted on by the Grayson County Commissioners Court.”

Magers then noted that a similar resolution took place in Collin County earlier in the week before closing with another strongly worded statement concerning the TPWD proposal.

“All I’m going to ask is this,” he said. “That you honor the will of the citizens of Grayson County. They have spoken, they have spoken succinctly, (and) with one or two exceptions, we are not in support of changing this. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.”

After Magers yielded the floor, Texas State Senator Drew Springer stepped to the podium and addressed those in attendance.
“It is unique (here),” Springer said. “We have 254 counties (in Texas) and one thing we hate in the Legislature is the one size that fits all. We’ve got something that works here.”

Springer then gave an example, citing the 85 mph speed limit on the speed loop around the Austin metro area and heavily populated areas of Travis County.

“They have a unique opportunity to do something down there and I think just the same here, we have a unique opportunity to harvest deer by bow only in Grayson County.”

Springer painted a difference between the small, fragmented properties of Grayson County and the larger ranches of western Cooke County, where a gun season has existed for many years along with that county’s higher overall whitetail deer numbers.

“You look at the lease rates, and y’all get more (here) than we get over there,” chuckled Springer. “So, I look at it as if you change that, that is the taking of your private property by disavowing your economics.”

State Representative Reggie Smith then took the floor, and he continued the night’s trend as he talked about the wonderful natural resource that Grayson County has in its whitetail herd, then citing an example of an unsuccessful encounter he once had with one of the record book caliber bucks that the county is famous for.

Smith then turned his attention to the coming wave of economic growth that is about to inundate Grayson County. That will come following Texas Instruments’ announcement recently that it will be up to four semiconductor manufacturing sites in the Sherman area, a $30 billion dollar total investment package that will employ upwards of 3,000 people and could have the first plant operational as soon as 2025.
And as all of that coming development and population unfolds, the sparse deer numbers and limited habitat that currently exists in Grayson County will then be under even greater pressure in the years to come.

“All of us who hunt, who own land and live around here, understand what’s going on right now with the real estate,” said Smith. “You wait until that many people show up here in the next five years and think about what the habitat is going to look like.

“So, Alan, all I’m saying is I think there’s a lot more evaluation that needs to be done here. I realize that we’ve got some folks who have an economic interest, and I’m all about them being able to develop their economic interest, but not to the detriment of one of the greatest deer herds in the country, not to the detriment of the constituents of Grayson County. Especially when what you see here, when you walk out this door and what you look at, it’s not what it’s going to look like in five years with all of these new people.

“So, please consider that. I know that Senator Springer and I are in lockstep on this. We’ll fight this to the bitter end and we look forward to further discussions with y’all.”

After the political figures present spoke on Wednesday night, local citizens gave their own opinions, citing personal experiences, pride in the local bowhunting culture and heritage, and challenging TPWD and its proposal on several occasions. By night’s end, 20 or more speakers had stood and opposed the gun season proposal with only one out-of-county resident speaking in favor of it.

One of those speakers against the proposal was Sherman attorney Brock Benson, who stood and challenged TPWD and its Wildlife Division for doing an apparent about face on statements made several years ago.

“I own land, vote, and pay taxes here in Grayson County,” said Benson. “Mr. Cain, in 2012, you supported the opening of Collin, Dallas, and Rockwall counties to an archery only season for white-tailed deer.”

Benson then continued on, referring to a 2012 presentation before the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.

“I’m going to read you some direct quotes…near obliteration of white-tailed deer habitat…extensive urban, suburban, and exurban growth of the Metroplex…highly fragmented habitat and minimal populations of white-tailed deer…(and) given the continued urbanization of these counties and the sparse deer habitat that currently exists (and) is expected to continue to decline in the future.”

Following those remarks, Benson wondered aloud why the 180-degree turn from 2012.

“So, my question is what’s changed?,” he said. “Is there more deer habitat in Grayson, Collin, Dallas and Rockwall counties? Are there more deer? Are there fewer people?”

Benson then stated that in his opinion, for anyone who has driven up Hwy. 75 recently or hasn’t been living under a rock for the past 10 years, the answer is clearly no.

“I don’t think anybody can argue with that,” he said. “So, when you take a position in 2012 and 10 years later, you take the direct opposite position, that raises some questions.”

Benson finished his remarks by stating that he believed in full disclosure and by noting what he believes is a questionable path to the current proposal over the past year.

Citing a wildlife survey report from last year, Benson held the report and alleged that the pathway traveled to the current proposal stemmed from a private wildlife biologist—Dr. Harry Jacobsen, a member of the state’s Whitetail Advisory Committee, who is said to be doing consulting work for a large high-fenced ranch in the northwestern part of Grayson County—and his efforts to push this ahead.

Benson read some quotes from the report before concluding his speaking segment.

“So, this private biologist said to his private landowner client that I am a public appointed official and I can fix this for you,” said Benson. “I don’t think this is about habitat, biology, or hunter opportunity, unless you happen to be hunting inside that 2,200-acre high-fenced ranch.

“I think this is about benefitting fewer people than I can count on my hand right here. And I don’t think that this is in the greater interest of the four counties for which this is proposed. I think this is in the greater interest of a few private individuals that have an inside track to the Whitetail Advisory Committee.”

When Benson concluded his remarks, some of the biggest applause of the night ensued, likely proving again that when it comes to Grayson County and its whitetail deer hunting battles, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/12/22 03:15 PM

Well I guess they can leave Grayson county out of it! It looks pretty fishy, doesn’t it?
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/12/22 04:59 PM

Personally I think those counties should all have a rifle season simply for the reason everyone could hunt anyway they chose being the deer belong to all of us and not simply the ones living/hunting thr. . Having said that I hope they beat the TP&W into submission and they don’t allow rifle seasons this year but if anyone truly thinks they can beat the man your sadly mistaken. He will be back again very soon and be a lot more prepared next time. It’s a long term loosing battle,

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/12/22 08:14 PM

Gun hunters have the rest of the state to hunt, why not have a few bow only counties? In the mountain states there are plenty of rivers that are artificial or fly fishing only. Seems like a similar concept. As a landowner I knew it was bowhunting only when I bought the place. I worked long and hard to develop trophy animals and develop a skill set that will allow me to harvest those animals. Some other poster said it’s not fair for those that don’t have those skill sets to harvest game by a bow and arrow method to not be able to hunt. By that same logic we should all be allowed to play on the PGA tour. That just don’t make any sense.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/13/22 01:51 AM

The skill set argument don't hold water, go to youtube and type in 5 year old crossbow, there are multiple videos of little ones harvesting deer with archery equipment. Crossbow has been legal for anyone to use in Grayson county since 2009 and in Collin, Dallas, and Rockwall counties since they opened to archery deer hunting in 2012.
Posted By: guysamson

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/13/22 04:39 AM

Wow, crazy[u][/u]

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/13/22 01:18 PM

Gun hunters have the rest of the state to hunt, why not have a few bow only counties? In the mountain states there are plenty of rivers that are artificial or fly fishing only. Seems like a similar concept. As a landowner I knew it was bowhunting only when I bought the place. I worked long and hard to develop trophy animals and develop a skill set that will allow me to harvest those animals. Some other poster said it’s not fair for those that don’t have those skill sets to harvest game by a bow and arrow method to not be able to hunt. By that same logic we should all be allowed to play on the PGA tour. That just don’t make any sense.

Neither does your analogy…..it’s stupid and laughable….. I, I, I….. all about you…..

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/13/22 05:34 PM

Nm
Posted By: TXHunter0619

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/14/22 08:33 PM

I wonder if it could be used to extend the season, example being a defined "muzzle loader" season and then perhaps redefining a "general season" to be "rifle & archery"? Sounds like it's a deeper issue than that, thinking out loud.

Re: white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties - 03/23/22 05:32 PM

Listening to the commission meeting live stream https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2022/0324/agenda/ appears they may not even take a vote on rule change tomorrow due to what was mentioned as "overwhelming" opposition to it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum