Texas Hunting Forum

BUCCEES FEEDERS

Posted By: DLALLDER

BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/22/22 07:44 PM

Okay I am looking for a stand and fill feeder. Anyone seen any at the Buccees stores? Closest one to me is the one at Rockwall. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: briancooper

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/22/22 08:01 PM

You know, I got two of those stand and fills from Academy on clearance for $199 each and I'm real happy with them. They will need some strengthening on the legs, but for a couple hundred bucks, I'm pleased.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/22/22 08:12 PM

Saw multiple EZ Fill Feeders at Buccees 2-3 weeks ago for $499 ea. in Ft.W.
Posted By: freerange

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/22/22 08:12 PM

I recommend them. There’s a long thread all about them a while back in the “blinds/feeders” section on here. They have made upgrades from the first ones so read it through. They are higher now(like everything) at $499 most Bucees. 600#.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
I recommend them. There’s a long thread all about them a while back in the “blinds/feeders” section on here. They have made upgrades from the first ones so read it through. They are higher now(like everything) at $499 most Bucees. 600#.

Buy with confidence…..
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 01:49 PM

In hog country, drive a Tpost at the same angle as the legs, snug against each leg and wire it securely. You'd prolly be fine without a pen.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Saw multiple EZ Fill Feeders at Buccees 2-3 weeks ago for $499 ea. in Ft.W.

Same here in new braunfels and also the one in Luling. Many of them sitting outside both stores.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 03:03 PM

Think I will look at Academy. a LOT closer to me. Daniel
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 03:41 PM

They have the feeders at Buccee's in Denton.
Posted By: booskay

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 04:12 PM

Temple Bucees has them,,, gone up on the price,,, about $475 I think. Just bought one about 30 days ago.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 04:25 PM

For the money they're ok. I had rodent chew up the wires between the motor and bottom part of the spinner plate and that was a pain in the [censored] to fix but I siliconed that entire piece inside the metal shroud that "protects" the wires and haven't had any issues since.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 05:18 PM

I have four of the stand and fill feeders from Academy (300#) and am very satisfied with them. I did have a huge hog knock over one even though it had about 150# of corn in it even with the holding spikes in the ground. He was a huge one and also destroyed my neighbors two normal feeders. I now have that same feeder fixed up and better fortified. Overall, when they are near full they are quite solid. Easy filling. Only thing I don't like is that the bottoms are flat and not enough of a funnel to dump the very bottom corn from the corners.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 08:04 PM

Thanks, guys, if the weatherman is correct, not gonna be going anywhere for a day or so. Daniel
Posted By: txbigly

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 09:09 PM

I live in Rockwall and will be in Pittsburgh sometime in the next week. If you want one Ill pick it up and bring it to you.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by txbigly
I live in Rockwall and will be in Pittsburgh sometime in the next week. If you want one Ill pick it up and bring it to you.

TX, That would be great but I will have to get some help to handle it and the wife loves to hunt but doesnt like the idea of it sitting in the yard for a month or so. Thanks Daniel PS let me know when you are gonna be here in Pittsburg, will buy you lunch. Daniel
Posted By: tlk

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/23/22 11:56 PM

we bought several of the Buc-ees Feeders and they are not bad. However I ran across a feeder from GreenGo - bought 5 of them and the best feeders I have run across in almost 60 years of hunting and buying corn feeders - they are bullet proof and totally reliable and fairly priced

[Linked Image]

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
we bought several of the Buc-ees Feeders and they are not bad. However I ran across a feeder from GreenGo - bought 5 of them and the best feeders I have run across in almost 60 years of hunting and buying corn feeders - they are bullet proof and totally reliable and fairly priced

[Linked Image]

The coon cage is out of date technology that knocks the corn down and piles it up instead of spreading it out evenly in a big circle…..

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]

The coon cage is out of date technology that knocks the corn down and piles it up instead of spreading it out evenly in a big circle…..

Wrong - I used 5 of them all season - the corn does not pile up under the feeder - deer cleaned it up every day - I had cameras on every feeder and the deer were all over it - the spinner tossed corn out plenty far enough - [Linked Image]

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:21 AM

It piles up around it, not under it….that’s why it has the metal peaked roof under the spinner or it would pile up under it…..which allows a lot less bucks to feed around it without getting crowded out….IME

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
It piles up around it, not under it….that’s why it has the metal peaked roof under the spinner or it would pile up under it…..which allows a lot less bucks to feed around it without getting crowded out….IME

Oh OK - I am corrected - You are right - what would I know from using them all season other than first hand experience? Not worth the argument for me - carry on

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:32 AM

Not trying to argue just stating my opinion that design is dated and not as effective spreading out the corn as the varmit plate design IMO……
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 12:46 AM

I'm a believer in varmint plates. It is the way to do it. But not all manufacturers that use it are equal. Having to re-engineer one (actually two) has really pissed me off.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/24/22 04:28 PM

Curious, do the plates make the corn throw further? I use the eliminator on one of my feeders and it doesn't throw has far as my Buccees feeder. I have to run my Buccees on low because it throws so far.
Posted By: Klinker

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/25/22 05:26 AM

Sodbuster, as far as I can tell from the photos, the Buccees feeder IS a "plate" type feeder. I suppose there are two main methods to keep coons from manipulating the spinner plate - a cage-type (old) setup and a plate-type (newer) setup. Both designs are simply to keep the coons from being able to reach the spinner plate. To me, what ultimately determines how far the corn is thrown is the speed of the motor and the design of the spinner plate. I have both types - cage (8 - TWS) and plates (12 - Alamo, Rambal, Lamco, Leon Valley).

The best and most even overall dispenser of corn are the Alamo feeders - looks like you carefully dipensed each kernel by hand. I would replace them ALL with Alamos if Roger still made them.

The Lamcos seem to throw corn the farthest - I attribute it to the spinner plate they use. They also throw the least per second, which I also attribute to the spinner plate they use - so I increase the spin time accordingly. A bit disappointed in some the the very recent changes in their materials and build quality.

Rambals are also great - almost comically overbuilt - beautiful, first class powder coat finish. I am certain they will be around for a century after I am gone!

Leon Valleys...that is a loooong story, but after SEVERAL modifications and rebuilds, finally and acceptable performer.

The TWS cage-type are very well built and absolutely have their place (I love the noise they make when throwing and purposely set them up where I want the feeder to be heard from a long distance)...but if you dispense 5 pounds of corn, 1 or more of those will be direct under or immediately around the feeder - the wire cage inevitably knocks down a good portion of the flying kernels.

I build all my feeder pens with 16 hog panels so they are 80-something feet in diameter. I would prefer to throw the corn as far around inside of the pen as possible to provide elbow room for feeding deer - so I prefer the plate-type feeder, in general.

This year, I am going to convert a few of the spinner plates over to the West Texas Feeder Vornado spinner plate (which is what Lamco uses) to see if I can get similar throwing distance to the Lamco...as they all use the same West Texas Feeder 12V motor. One thing I have noticed for sure is that some motors, even when new, do not spin as fast as others. First Rambal I purchased I was so disappointed...beautiful feeder, but barely threw corn. After watching it go off the first few mornings, I went to the barn and got a spare motor - problem fixed. Performed beautifully every since.

I suppose the point is that they all have different performance features and they can all be improved with a little "field tweaking" here and there.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/25/22 12:41 PM

At the price point of the "overbuilt" ones, "tweaking" shouldn't be necessary. Sadly, this isn't always the case.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/25/22 03:41 PM

Real good info from Klinker.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/25/22 11:29 PM

Creekrunner, I agree completely and I have likely had the same problems with the same feeders as you have!

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 02/25/22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Klinker
Creekrunner, I agree completely and I have likely had the same problems with the same feeders as you have!

It's a real PITA, but, enlightenting. up

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 03:55 PM

Anyone near Rockwall, that goes by the Buccees in Rockwall on a regular basis? I would like to know if they have a supply of the stand and fill feeders (300 or 600 lb), price would be nice also but not a deal killer. I live in Pittsburg and it's a 100 mile trip one way. Thanks Daniel

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 05:16 PM

I cant help you specifically on Rockwall but Im pretty sure that all Bucees are 600# and most of them keep a very large supply. Most will be $499 I believe.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 06:59 PM

freerange, Thanks for the information. Daniel
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 07:33 PM

If I can get by the Royce City of Terrell Buccees in the next couple of days I’ll let you know.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lakhota
If I can get by the Royce City of Terrell Buccees in the next couple of days I’ll let you know.

Thanks, Daniel
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 08:32 PM

This past Thursday Royce City had about a dozen feeders on the east side of their building . Corn price was $8.79

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/07/22 10:40 PM

Thanks KK30RAR, I plan to see them either tomorrow or Thursday. Daniel

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/08/22 12:39 AM

They dont usually keep the timers inside the feeders. They should give to you at checkout but may need to make sure. They will easily fit in a pickup bed and one man can handle but they usually help. The lid could easily blow off in transport, as has been reported by more than one.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/08/22 03:00 AM

The lid could easily blow off in transport, as has been reported by more than one.

Turn the feeder upside down to haul and strap/tie down and the lid won't blow off..

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/08/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie
The lid could easily blow off in transport, as has been reported by more than one.

Turn the feeder upside down to haul and strap/tie down and the lid won't blow off..

That’s how I did it to save space on several or just put lid inside truck.
Posted By: deer chaser

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/09/22 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]

I agree 100% best feeder i have ever used

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 01:41 PM

Well I did it yesterday, went to Royce City and purchased one of Buccess #600 feeders. Thanks to everyone that assisted with information. Feeder is now a lease and plan to get it set in place next Tuesday. Daniel

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 03:29 PM

$499 or what?

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 04:25 PM

$499 or what?

Yes Plus tax. Corn $9 but WILL NOT ASSIST in loading cause BUCCESS is losing money every bag it sells, This information came straight from the ASST Store Manager's mouth. BUT THEY WILL LOAD A PALLET FOR YOU, Something about that logic simply doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's just me and my logic. I told the ASST MANAGER that I didn't want BUCCESS TO LOSE MONEY on my account so I DID NOT PURCHASE ANY CORN. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 07:35 PM

My brother has one for a few years, absolutely no issues at all with it.
I think you'll be happy with your purchase cheers
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
$499 or what?

Yes Plus tax. Corn $9 but WILL NOT ASSIST in loading cause BUCCESS is losing money every bag it sells, This information came straight from the ASST Store Manager's mouth. BUT THEY WILL LOAD A PALLET FOR YOU, Something about that logic simply doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's just me and my logic. I told the ASST MANAGER that I didn't want BUCCESS TO LOSE MONEY on my account so I DID NOT PURCHASE ANY CORN. Thanks Daniel

Bought 20 -25 bags at a time from N. Ft Worth location and they've never offered to help load, but then again I never asked them. The cart is handy.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/10/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
$499 or what?

Bought 20 -25 bags at a time from N. Ft Worth location and they've never offered to help load, but then again I never asked them. The cart is handy.

Jimbo1, Try it when you are bumping 77, diabetic, open heart surgery 16 months !!! BTW the 3 Buccees employees sent to help load the feeder stood around for 20 minutes watching me tie the feeder down. Owners need a real picture of why they are losing money on corn. Daniel
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/11/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
$499 or what?

Jimbo1, Try it when you are bumping 77, diabetic, open heart surgery 16 months !!! BTW the 3 Buccees employees sent to help load the feeder stood around for 20 minutes watching me tie the feeder down. Owners need a real picture of why they are losing money on corn. Daniel

Oh I get it and forgive me if I came off wrong. I actually didn't go to Buccees today and instead bought 30 bags at TSC just because they would load it. My lower back is out.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/11/22 03:27 PM

I don't believe that Buccee's is losing money on corn.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/11/22 03:49 PM

Buccee's does not seem to do any advertising, using the corn and ice as means to get customers. I don't think they are making money on those items.
Once or twice they have offered to help load but most of the time they don't. In our area it has become a hassle to shop at Buccee's so I don't. The co-op has the corn for an extra .50 cents a bag and they load it.

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/11/22 07:41 PM

I dont know if they make money on corn and ice but it gets so many people in there that they easily could lose on those and be ok with it. I always but it by the pallet so ive never considered the loading issue.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/11/22 07:47 PM

$499 or what?

poor buccees going out of business selling corn at a loss. boohoo. cry
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/14/22 04:58 AM

$499 or what?

That makes no sense. They have a million employees standing around. Their employees are paid the same either way if they are loading corn or scratching their butts. They are just lazy.
Posted By: Ag Hoff 90

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/18/22 08:34 PM

Well I did it yesterday, went to Royce City and purchased one of Buccess #600 feeders. Thanks to everyone that assisted with information. Feeder is now a lease and plan to get it set in place next Tuesday. Daniel

They are great feeders. But there are a few simple modifications that you can make to improve them.

Add an horizontal brace between the two open legs to deter hogs from going underneath. Also, bolt on metal plates (found at HD) on all four sides to extend the bottom plate of the feeder. This will keep long armed coons from reaching
the spinner plate. Painting the exterior isn’t a bad idea if you plan to run cameras to reduce reflective flash.

Oh, and be sure to stake them down.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ag Hoff 90

They are great feeders. But there are a few simple modifications that you can make to improve them.

Add an horizontal brace between the two open legs to deter hogs from going underneath. Also, bolt on metal plates (found at HD) on all four sides to extend the bottom plate of the feeder. This will keep long armed coons from reaching
the spinner plate. Painting the exterior isn’t a bad idea if you plan to run cameras to reduce reflective flash.

Do you mind posting a picture of your mods?

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 01:22 AM

Paint normally doesn't stick to galvanized metal very good unless you treat the metal before painting and I have forgotten what it needs to be treated with. Daniel

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 02:04 AM

That reflective flash could be a big issue!

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 02:24 AM

When sun hits just right my pics look like this. I thought it was something to do with reflecting off the shiny feeder and asked about it on here but didn’t get much if any feed back. Camera facing north and it’s just after sunup.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 03:04 AM

Paint normally doesn't stick to galvanized metal very good unless you treat the metal before painting and I have forgotten what it needs to be treated with. Daniel

Vinegar rub on and allowed to dry will make paint stick better to galvanized metal.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 03:05 AM

When sun hits just right my pics look like this. I thought it was something to do with reflecting off the shiny feeder and asked about it on here but didn’t get much if any feed back. Camera facing north and it’s just after sunup.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My feeders do the same thing when the sun hits them at the right angle and it aligns with the camera no matter what the direction it faces. It has to do with the low profile feeder and the angle the sun hits it.
Posted By: Ag Hoff 90

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus

Do you mind posting a picture of your mods?

You bet.

Unfortunately this is the only pic I have at the moment and it's not the greatest.

You'll notice the plate extensions that I added. And the cross brace to the legs. Quick rattle can green paint job too.

[Linked Image]

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 04:55 PM

Outstanding AgHoff. Thanks for posting. Exactly what I thought about doing.
Posted By: rickym

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My feeders do the same thing when the sun hits them at the right angle and it aligns with the camera no matter what the direction it faces. It has to do with the low profile feeder and the angle the sun hits it.

Buy Browning, face them south.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/19/22 07:50 PM

Thanks for posting the mods pic. cheers
Posted By: B_Man

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/23/22 01:56 PM

We had those shiny stand and fill feeders and did not want them to be beacons for others to see
and maybe even think about stealing so we painted ours. We bought a can of brake cleaner (cheap)
and sprayed over the feeder to remove oils, dirt etc. then we found some paint that is at the auto stores
used to paint sheet metal on cars. The cans are expensive at about $25 per can but thought this was the right type
of paint for our sheet metal on our feeders. This paint comes in olive color (somewhat an olive tree color) and has held up nicely.
Maybe something to try. Just our 2 cents. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: BUCCEES FEEDERS - 03/23/22 02:26 PM

Krylon makes a good self etching primer at a more friendly price. Available at Wally World.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum