Texas Hunting Forum

He'll be a really nice buck next year....

Posted By: pertnear

He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 10:12 PM

"He'll be a really nice buck next year." How many times have you heard someone say that about a buck they was? LOL

I was hunting for a doe this week when this 8 pt buck popped out for a photo session. He was fearless like he knew the buck season was over where I was hunting. He was chasing a doe around. This classic 8 ptr has the characteristics that I think make him easy to age. Slightly sway back, slight paunch while head & neck are streamline. Horns light colored & not real heavy yet. Really black hock shows he means big-boy business. I'm guessing 4-1/2 YO. Some ranches would call him a mature 8 & therefore a cull. What do you think?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I never get tired of watching WT bucks!
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 10:15 PM

I'd say a rutted down five. Dark staining going down legs leads credence to more age. Hips are showing where there used to be muscle.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 10:48 PM

I'd call him a management 8 on my place.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 11:02 PM

I would agree with all of the above.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 11:04 PM

He is at least a 5yr old. Really rutted down and they look younger this time of the year. Depends on how many mature bucks you have as to what I would call him.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/09/22 11:24 PM

I couldn't disagree with 5yo
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 01:24 PM

Rutted down bad and I think he is 5.5 if not even older.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 02:46 PM

5.5, I might have shot him on principal that he should be bigger at that age.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Not necessary....the genetics in some areas may not reach the peak antler growth till a buck reaches 7 yrs old or older.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Not necessary....the genetics in some areas may not reach the peak antler growth till a buck reaches 7 yrs old or older.

That was where the 'might' comes in. At our place, they make the biggest jumps from 3.5-4.5 and from 4.5-5.5. That buck at our place would be disappointing for 5.5 and given the year most people had for antlers, he would be deemed a management buck. I've got 5-6 that made the end of the season that are better than that at either the same age or younger.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 03:28 PM

Fact is, nobody knows for sure what this buck will be like next year if he even makes it to next year. He's definitely on the "mature" scale and if one likes his look, I say "let him have it" with both barrels...
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/10/22 10:01 PM

We call that a shooter in east Texas grin. Hope he becomes what you want next year
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: He'll be a really nice buck next year.... - 01/11/22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Archer Anthony
We call that a shooter in east Texas grin. Hope he becomes what you want next year

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum