Texas Hunting Forum

Public land, mobile deer hunter

Posted By: BDB

Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/24/21 10:43 PM

So who here hunts public land and uses hang on stands to be mobile? We may loose our lease after this season and the bug to try this way of hunting is biting me. I've done some research on it and the best guys are extremely mobile, going up trees in 5 minutes, hunting for however long they want then hitting another area the next day etc.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/25/21 01:16 AM

I hunt public land but I still hunt, glass and stalk.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/26/21 12:52 AM

This is my second year to really try it. I am hooked, going to give up one of my leases and focus on it more next year. Been fairly mobile, pop up blinds, high points glassing, hand corning areas, ect…
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/26/21 03:30 PM

Noticed a very interesting article in one of the hunting magazines about using a tree saddle. Never knew they existed until I read the article. A very lightweight and easy to pack alternative to using a hang on or climbing stand that offers 360 degree mobility.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/26/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
So who here hunts public land and uses hang on stands to be mobile? We may loose our lease after this season and the bug to try this way of hunting is biting me. I've done some research on it and the best guys are extremely mobile, going up trees in 5 minutes, hunting for however long they want then hitting another area the next day etc.

My advice, I love climbers but it is an investment.

1st) go as light as you can but understand the full enclosed rail is easier to climb with and safer
2nd) look at a pack frame to carry it instead of provided straps…

Those two are king. More comfortable you are longer you can stay in the stand and the more comfortable the load on your back further you can go
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Public land, mobile deer hunter - 12/26/21 08:19 PM

I loved my climbers but Texas wasn’t as conducive for them as my home state of Mississippi. After moving here I switched to lightweight hanging with a set of sticks and could most times get to 14-15ft with 3 sticks as I have long legs. I hunted Trinity River and Angelina River bottoms for several years with that system. I even rode a Mountain bike with stand on back and Recurve bow on handle bars.
I still have a climber and a couple hangons that I haven’t used in a few years. At 67 sitting in a tree for hours doesn’t have the same appeal as it used to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum