Texas Hunting Forum

Already???

Posted By: TCB

Already??? - 12/20/21 01:16 PM

We're starting to see bucks with dropped antlers. Have a couple on camera and my buddy helped run a hunt on a high fence around Nacona this weekend and literally saw the same buck with 1 then no antlers in the same day. Seems way early for them to start dropping.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Already??? - 12/20/21 02:28 PM

Wow already
Posted By: freerange

Re: Already??? - 12/20/21 03:38 PM

Definitely early for very many to drop but an individual deer can happen this early.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Already??? - 12/20/21 04:36 PM

Seen happen before in Central Texas. Not common but it does happen every so often. Seen it in various age classes and mainly with bucks injured or just very poor shape due to rut/range conditions.
Posted By: 3kcattle

Re: Already??? - 12/20/21 11:18 PM

Where are you located? Here in the big country, we are almost as dry as we were in 2011. Grain fields are dying and pastures have no protein left in the grass. Very limited forbes left. Deer will drop horns sooner due to nutrition.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Already??? - 12/21/21 05:56 AM

That's insanely early and we have had plenty of rain. Been hunting Nocona for 18 years and some carry them into March so that is very weird. Must be a HF issue. We border a HF too but they hide from the fence.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Already??? - 12/21/21 11:18 AM

Yep, have a pic from OK both sides done dropped
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Already??? - 12/21/21 11:23 AM

Are you sure they aren't broken from fighting?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Already??? - 12/21/21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

If you’re referring to my post

No, these are fresh drops

Red holes on his head
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Already??? - 12/21/21 01:05 PM

Several years ago mid December in East Texas, really cold morning and it sleeted/snowed for about 20 minutes while I was sitting in the stand. When I walked out my cleared walk trail, there was a freshly dropped antler laying on top of the white stuff. It wasn't there when I walked in and there was sleet and snow under the whole thing.
Posted By: deer chaser

Re: Already??? - 12/31/21 08:11 AM

wow its early
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Already??? - 12/31/21 02:30 PM

I'll pick up a dozen on a hunt that starts the 10th of Jan on a bunch of big wheat fields, resident experts always let me know they are last years no matter how much blood is on the pedicle.
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum