Posted By: Hudbone

Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 12:18 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 12:25 PM

Poacher bolt peep
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 12:25 PM

Yes, the moon was bright all night long. I couldn't stay up and watch the eclipse last night.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 12:26 PM

I can literally see down all senderos 45 minutes before sunrise

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 12:33 PM

Did you see any spotted hogs?

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 01:06 PM

Well? popcorn
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Poacher bolt peep

Since when is looking a crime grin

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 02:16 PM

No spotted hogs. For some reason, I believe they are fearful of this blind. 15 plus bucks with 4 maybe 5 10’s 5 +, the double drop and a brief but fierce scuffle. Three does and some offspring. [Linked Image]

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 02:19 PM

Double D rarely gets in feed pen but he sticks on to sendero corn like a hog at a feeder.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 03:36 PM

Does DD look any older to you live on the hoof?

What is the deer on the point of the brush in front of your pen? He looks really high horned

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 03:47 PM

Double D definitely mature enough. Blind in left eye. Not that big bodied but other bucks watch him and part for him. That high horned 8 has two kickers and should be awesomeness next year or the year after. The buck squatting to pee is the biggest one in that group.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/19/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MWTX270
Yes, the moon was bright all night long. I couldn't stay up and watch the eclipse last night.

Set the alarm for 2:50 am, got up, got my son up and went outside to see it. pretty cool.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/20/21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Double D definitely mature enough. Blind in left eye. Not that big bodied but other bucks watch him and part for him. That high horned 8 has two kickers and should be awesomeness next year or the year after. The buck squatting to pee is the biggest one in that group.

Do you think this is that high horned 8pt from last year that you saw today?
[Linked Image]

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/20/21 04:03 AM

Very well could be. Add a lil' kicker on each G2 and a good year. He's could be something special.

Btw, I am impressed.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/20/21 04:12 AM

Starting a double throat patch and distinctive white up above the knees on the inside of his front legs should be easy to tell for sure. See how those deer prosper with age, rainfall and no white spotted hogs grin
That pics was taken at the start of the sendero to the left of the feed pen also.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/20/21 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Does DD look any older to you live on the hoof?

What is the deer on the point of the brush in front of your pen? He looks really high horned

Looks really tall.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/20/21 11:31 AM

On that hunt, I had 14 bucks in front of me at one time. Tens and more everywhere and DD really catches your eye. Even so, that young, tall main frame 8 with two kickers really stands out. I love potential. It sure beats a dead end road.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/22/21 03:58 PM

Starting a double throat patch and distinctive white up above the knees on the inside of his front legs should be easy to tell for sure. See how those deer prosper with age, rainfall and no white spotted hogs grin
That pics was taken at the start of the sendero to the left of the feed pen also.

Not him, but think I have found the one in your photo. He's not quite as impressive as the taller one and might be a year younger, but his frame is nice and the eye guards are more even.

Got home late last night and went to the office this AM. Pretty much all caught up and have the following message attached to each & every e-mail, "Please note – it is hunting and the holiday seasons and at times, I may be heard to catch. If something rears it’s head, please exercise patience realizing lots can get fixed upon my eventual return."

SIL # 3 has off so I just have to go back down. Then some holiday on Thursday (a really good one) and then immediately back down with SIL #2. Will be back in office on the following Monday and then that darn SIL #3 has off from that Wednesday for six solid days. This taking care of the family thing is tough, but someone has to do it. I keep repeating to Wifeypoo, "It's for the family, its for the family, it's for the family."

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/23/21 03:49 AM

“It’s for the family” probably pretty easy to repeat cause it appears to be true. You’re a good man, Hud.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 12:30 AM

Had seen this dude my 1st weekend of hunting after missing the 1st two weeks of the season. I always scout the 1st weekend and seldom take anything. Saw him on three hunts and confirmed his advanced age the 1st time I laid eyes on him.

Came back Sunday and left with SIL 3 on Monday. He got a nice mgt 8. Saw this sucker a couple of different times over an hour each time. He wouldn't jump in a pen, but he would stick to corn on a sendero like a bear with a honey comb. 3 couldn't believe I would not take him. No matter who was going to shoot the buck, Klappenbach was going to be there.

On Thursday, SIL 2 told me could not make it. I got down there late Friday afternoon and if Klappenbach hadn't a filled my road feeder, I would not have been in the blind when the 4:15 feed Time came. Even so, just barely made it.

First mature to come out was this one. He was so close to the blind sitting on a ten foot tower that I could not put my scope on him. At about 30 yards a doe in front of him alerted and he quickly retreated. He never gave me an opportunity until about 140 yards out. So glad I read TLK's posts and had my 300 WM with me. I comfortably leveled down and took my shot. There was no rush, but I could tell by the reaction my shot was farther back than intended.

The buck bolted into the brush and luckily, for me, he came back out prior to veering off again. I shot at 5:05 and went to the shot site after ten minutes. Good blood which was what I was expecting (no green). I waited ten minutes and got on the blood trail. It slowly gave out after about all of thirty yards. I kinda freaked. Texted Klappenbach and told him I needed help. He wanted to know if I needed help loading and I replied, yes after we find it. Went into the brush and there he was, showing me his belly. Klappenbach got there, helped me load and we mighta had a victory snort or three. Alls well that ends well. I am so very fortunate.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 12:34 AM

Awesome cheers
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 12:45 AM

Beautiful buck, congrats!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:19 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:30 AM

Double drop, buck of a lifetime. Congrats!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:40 AM

Great looking deer. Congrats.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 03:08 AM

That is sure one good looking buck, congrats!

Charlie

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:05 PM

Way to go Hud

He looks ancient.

What a fantastic deer!!!

Congrats

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:34 PM

Front hoofs were splayed succinctly. Wrinkles galore when he turned his head - guessing he used to carry a lot more weight. Knees were calloused up beyond anything I have ever seen. Had one front tooth and molars were pretty flat - maybe he was a transplant from Canyon Lake.

Rarely jumped into the pens, thinking it might have been too much strain. Really doubt he would have made it through the year and not sure he would have bred this year.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/29/21 02:41 PM

cheers Very well done! Congratulations on a beautiful buck. Muy bueno. up

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 08:00 PM

All done -
[Linked Image]

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 08:21 PM

Should I start a go fund me for a shoulder mount.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 08:44 PM

Fantastic read and congrats on a beautiful buck!
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 09:08 PM

Cool buck Hud. Congrats. Most of us never see a double drop tine buck in the wild, much less have the opportunity to hunt one.
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 09:43 PM

Cool buck! I will just keep daydreaming about when I get a chance at a droptine buck...

Re: Who needs daylight? - 11/30/21 09:55 PM

Never seen one in person. I'd prolly have to change my underwares.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/01/21 07:51 PM

cheers congrats on a great looking 4yr old double drop bolt

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/01/21 09:20 PM

I understand. The older one gets the more he has a hard time appropriately judging age.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/01/21 09:26 PM

Just saw this Hud, congrats on a beautiful old buck.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/02/21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

I understand. The older one gets the more he has a hard time appropriately judging age.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First molar is cupped out and the 2nd and 3rd are deep worn. Being he was a feed hound he is likely 7 or even 8 even though the tooth wear isn't really saying that.
We killed on several years ago we had 7 years of history with that we knew beyond doubt was at least 8.5 if he was a 1.5 year old 10 point the first year we saw him and his teeth looked almost identical to this.

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/02/21 01:58 PM

I am actually thinking about getting STX a copy of this book as a Christmas present, but it only goes up to 6 1/2.
[Linked Image]

Re: Who needs daylight? - 12/02/21 02:17 PM

You're moving from needling to nuclear war.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum