Texas Hunting Forum

Neck roasts

Posted By: Augustus1994

Neck roasts - 11/19/21 12:51 AM

I used to not take it, started deboning and grinding it, but recently tried sticking the whole bone-in neck roast in the crockpot. It made one of the best venison roasts I’ve ever had. What do y’all like to do with it?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Neck roasts - 11/19/21 01:27 AM

Next week I am going to make a roasted poblano tomatillo sauce, then toss that in the croc pot with the neck roast to make street tacos. Here is the recipe I have been using for the sauce in the past with pork: Roasted Poblano & Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Neck roasts - 11/19/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Next week I am going to make a roasted poblano tomatillo sauce, then toss that in the croc pot with the neck roast to make street tacos. Here is the recipe I have been using for the sauce in the past with pork: Roasted Poblano & Tomatillo Salsa Verde

Yup. I do chili verde, chile Colorado, etc. with my neck roasts.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Neck roasts - 11/19/21 01:52 AM

I always make neck roast in the crock pot. Probably my favorite meal minus the tenderloins.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Neck roasts - 11/19/21 03:27 AM

How munch of the neck y’all use???
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Neck roasts - 11/19/21 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
How munch of the neck y’all use???

All of it, or whatever will fit in the cooker.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Neck roasts - 11/20/21 03:23 PM

I also put it in the crock pot and let it cook overnight in about 2 cups of liquid. In the morning take the meat out and after cooling take the meat off the bones, shred it and put it back in the liquid and add whatever veggies I want and cook until the veggies are tender. Makes the best soup/stew you can imagine.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Neck roasts - 11/22/21 10:01 PM

My wife covers the neck roast with spices and puts in a can of Dr. Pepper in the roaster and cooks the roast at 180-200 for about 8 hours, Comes out extremely tender and really good. Does the same with a deer shoulder as well. Get some of those fresh tortillas from HEB, a little hot sauce and man talk about good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum