Texas Hunting Forum

Weird Text Regarding Doe

Posted By: Cinch

Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/12/21 10:14 PM

My wife shot a doe on Sunday. It was processed at Whitakers in Iowa Park. It was a mature doe and nice size.
We just got the text below. When I responded, he said they are monitoring for CWD and asked for permission to test this doe and where our ranch was.
Anybody else get a text like the one below:

Ms. Walton, this is Charlie Newberry, I'm a wildlife biologist for this area with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I'm contacting about a deer you took into whitakers. Nothing is wrong. If you would please give me a call back at your convenience that would be great my number is 325-203-2037
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/12/21 11:20 PM

Probably on the up and up since he divulged his personal information but I would probably make a confirming call into Austin TPWD headquarters as well.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/13/21 01:25 AM

He is listed as a Wildlife Biologist in Baylor county. Looks legit.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/13/21 01:50 AM

Biologist called me asking for permission to test the buck I shot opening day. I gave permission. They must be testing a certain number of deer in each county. I suspect they are doing it early in the season to catch any problems. Deer can have CWD for a long time before they start going downhill.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/13/21 11:08 PM

Charlie is legit, but I wouldn’t give permission. CWD has been in Texas for over 50 years at least and not been a problem. It’s text book example of government justifying funding or seeking more funding (tax dollars). Follow the $$$.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/14/21 03:21 PM

I ran into the biologist in Spur last weekend and he was checking every deer he could for CWD. We let him check the buck my son got.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/14/21 03:22 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/county/?county=Clay
Posted By: FishNDive

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/16/21 12:16 PM

There was a TPWD biologist at the game processor in Wellington opening day when I dropped off. She did an age test and a few measurements. Mentioned that they were screening for CWD.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/16/21 01:41 PM

Yep CWD same thing here
Posted By: duckgunner

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/16/21 02:49 PM

Have it tested.
Originally Posted by Big_Ag
Charlie is legit, but I wouldn’t give permission. CWD has been in Texas for over 50 years at least and not been a problem. It’s text book example of government justifying funding or seeking more funding (tax dollars). Follow the $$$.

One deer having CWD is a problem. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. Would you knowingly eat a deer with CWD?

Have it tested.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/16/21 02:54 PM

You stand a greater chance of getting Covid than killing a deer with CWD.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/16/21 02:57 PM

^^^ My feelings on the whole deal too.

Seems I find myself in the conspiracy camp more and more lately...but is it a conspiracy if 6 months to a year later it is shown to be accurate? I think it could be ground work for them to attempt to take hunting away from us.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/18/21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Seems I find myself in the conspiracy camp more and more lately...but is it a conspiracy if 6 months to a year later it is shown to be accurate? I think it could be ground work for them to attempt to take hunting away from us.

Doubt that will ever happen - close to 50% of TPWD operating budget is derived from license/stamp sales.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/18/21 02:08 PM

I got a call like this a few years ago, except the biologist didn't say "nothing is wrong", so it had me worried that he thought we did something wrong.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/18/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Originally Posted by Judd

Doubt that will ever happen - close to 50% of TPWD operating budget is derived from license/stamp sales.

Never saw the stuff happening the last two years...funny how "conspiracy guys" have been right the last year or so. I hope I'm wrong and you're right.
Posted By: COFF (TFF)

Re: Weird Text Regarding Doe - 11/18/21 04:03 PM

Could be unrelated to CWD. They look at a lot of different stuff. Land owner at the ranch I hunted a few weeks ago took a section of gut from each deer to give to biologists. They were looking for some type of parasite based on food sources.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum