Texas Hunting Forum

Van Zandt County Rut?

Posted By: RER903

Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/10/21 07:12 PM

Any rut updates in Van Zandt County? I was out last weekend and really did not see any signs that it has started yet…..
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/11/21 02:20 AM

Im north of Athens. I’m wrong a lot, but I always think rut is going on right at opening day. Saturday is saw 2 bucks. One was with a yearling doe. They other had his nose to the ground moving quickly.

Saw a group of doe Sunday. Nothing trailing them.
Posted By: RER903

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/11/21 09:13 PM

Thanks….
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/11/21 09:37 PM

i'm in Hunt county and a week ago, all trail cam pictures of bucks were by themselves, then Saturday morning out popped 3 bucks hanging out eating corn together. who knows, but the colder weather has them moving
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/11/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Im north of Athens. I’m wrong a lot, but I always think rut is going on right at opening day. Saturday is saw 2 bucks. One was with a yearling doe. They other had his nose to the ground moving quickly.

Saw a group of doe Sunday. Nothing trailing them.

your area and a little north used to be around that time. Now that we are further north... it seems to be closer to Thanksgiving. I saw no dead dear on the 80 mile run to camp. A friend was up near Nacona and said the same.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/12/21 02:17 PM

Seeing some chasing action here. Seeing more activity.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/13/21 01:21 PM

Opening weekend in Smith County, my wife shot her buck while he was following a couple of does. No swelling in the neck, but he was obviously interested in the does. Every game cam picture has the bucks and does all hanging out around the feeder and in the food plot like they are all buddies. No activity at all on the camera. I honestly don't know if the rut was early, or if it was opening weekend, or if it's still coming.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Van Zandt County Rut? - 11/16/21 06:42 PM

The full moon this week will set the rut in full swing in VZ, Kaufman and Hunt. I have been hunting Kaufman county for 3 years now and it usually starts around the 10th. Got trail cam pics of a really nice 10 point following a doe this past Friday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum