Texas Hunting Forum

Healthy Deer Year

Posted By: Halfadozen

Healthy Deer Year - 11/09/21 06:19 PM

We hunt a ranch that straddles Stephens and Eastland counties and the 4 bucks taken this weekend averaged right at 200#. We are used to bucks weighing in around 170#. What are folks seeing this year?
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/09/21 10:14 PM

Saturday we killed the heaviest buck we've ever taken from our lease we've had in Young County for 20+ years.
219 pounds. Everything looked fat & healthy—does, coyotes, etc.
Posted By: bankwalker

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/09/21 10:40 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/09/21 11:00 PM

I've only had one buck in 23 years weigh over 200#, most 5yr olds will go around 180# and 4yr olds 165-170#. I don't know what you're feeding them but keep it up. The weights are on the hoof (not gutted).
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/09/21 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
I've only had one buck in 23 years weigh over 200#, most 5yr olds will go around 180# and 4yr olds 165-170#. I don't know what you're feeding them but keep it up. The weights are on the hoof (not gutted).

Stompy - we don't supplement at all. All of the deer taken were at least 5.5 YO. Mother Nature worked wonders with the nice wet spring and cooler summer I guess.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 12:32 AM

We are seeing the same thing in central Texas. Heavier deer.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 01:09 AM

The deer I've seen this year are all in great condition, Cross Timbers region.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 03:02 AM

Same in Callahan Co. Huge bodied deer this year. Doe from this weekend:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KYBLUEFAN

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 03:48 AM

We've noticed that too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 11:24 AM

From Leon county to Coleman county, the deer are in good condition.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 12:15 PM

2 of the 4 bucks we took in October were 200#'s in Stonewall County.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 04:20 PM

This big boy got harvested opening weekend and yes, the photos are deceiving. The deer is bigger than it looks. The rack scored on the low 160's and when dressed, the deer was so fat you couldn't even see the kidneys. it bottomed out our 200 pound scale. He's getting us a new one.

As much hunting and guiding as this rough as a cob old codger has done, you'd think he'd have know how to take a better field photo. I think he got lost in the moment celebrating his daughter's success.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 04:29 PM

One thing to be aware of, fat deer look older on the hoof, so keep watching for other signs of age.

All the deer I have seen this year are healthy for sure. We also need to remember a deer taken pre-rut is going to weigh more than a post-rut deer, and doe taken now will be heavier than doe taken at end of winter if not supplemental feeding.

Lots of variables at play, but for sure, mother nature was kind to the wildlife this year for the most part.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
The deer I've seen this year are all in great condition, Cross Timbers region.

Same here. Big deer this year.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/10/21 05:25 PM

We are down around Hebronville. It hasnt been a poor year for us, but seems it has been much better in other parts of the state. Deer are doing fine, but not in exceptional body condition by any means even with protein/corn year round.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/11/21 04:17 AM

Big deer
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/11/21 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
This big boy got harvested opening weekend and yes, the photos are deceiving. The deer is bigger than it looks. The rack scored on the low 160's and when dressed, the deer was so fat you couldn't even see the kidneys. it bottomed out our 200 pound scale. He's getting us a new one.

As much hunting and guiding as this rough as a cob old codger has done, you'd think he'd have know how to take a better field photo. I think he got lost in the moment celebrating his daughter's success.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It amazing how big bucks can get when they eat protein meant for them...and not gobbled up by the Mass Bovine Intrusion...... bolt
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/11/21 01:23 PM

My buck this year field dressed 165! Heaviest WT I have killed…..
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/13/21 09:49 PM

Our bucks in young county are the same. Hard to tell the difference in a 3 year old and a 4 this year . The 5 year olds have some serious weight on them .
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Healthy Deer Year - 11/22/21 01:57 PM

Here's another who did well in spite of them cows -

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum