Texas Hunting Forum

Does Without Fawns

Posted By: Grizz

Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 12:29 AM

So far we've been seeing a lot of does without fawns. Very few of them had fawns with them this weekend (I only personally saw 2 with fawns). I've never seen this before where I hunt. Anyone else seeing the same?
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 12:32 AM

Are you positive they are does? Could be button bucks that mama kicked out of the nest. I always send up a red flag when I see a slick head that is alone this time of the year.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 12:35 AM

I haven’t seen as many fawns as usual, and I’m seeing fewer does. Of course, that may change with colder weather. I wonder how many deer we lost to the Big Freeze?
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 12:49 AM

I am lucky to have a 10% fawn survival. I have been watching, at least 7 different does, and this evening was the first fawn I seen this year. Thats why I don't shoot does.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Are you positive they are does? Could be button bucks that mama kicked out of the nest. I always send up a red flag when I see a slick head that is alone this time of the year.

Exactly. We don't shoot doe on the home place, however when we leased, we were very careful to inspect "doe" that were by themselves. Usually were nubbins that had been run off by momma.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 01:36 AM

We’re covered with deer in Mills, but the coyotes did some work this spring. I’ve got quite a few dry does.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 02:20 AM

My place is way different. Seems the fawn recruitment was quite high this year. Based on fawn numbers i am
going to have to take about 6-7 doe just to keep the numbers down. Good problem to have. I do have several button bucks in that fawn recruitment.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 02:58 AM

Last year I saw 3 fawn total and this year I wouldn't doubt we have 50, I've never seen so many deer at our place.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
So far we've been seeing a lot of does without fawns. Very few of them had fawns with them this weekend (I only personally saw 2 with fawns). I've never seen this before where I hunt. Anyone else seeing the same?

Not necessarily an indication of fawn survival. Depending on your area IF many of the Does are coming into estrous, many times they (the Does) will run the fawns off. And certainly when a buck is with a Doe (anytime prior to breeding her or she goes out of estrous) the buck will run off any fawns.

IF you haven't seen ANY fawns with does (in person or on camera) in the months prior to now....well that's a different story.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 04:16 AM

Saw a big doe without a fawn right around the start of legal shooting hours Saturday morning that ended up being the only doe I saw all weekend.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 04:28 AM

Saw 6 does this afternoon . Only one had a fawn.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 05:08 AM

I had about 8 does, every one with single or double fawns, on my ranch this evening. I control the predator population here by trapping and it makes quite a difference in fawn survival.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER

They were definitely does. It's very unusual on this place this time of year.
I also saw 5 coyotes Sunday morning, which is also unusual. I wondered how much, if any, those two things may be connected. I don't know yet if that was just a weird day or if we'll continue to see more coyotes. I was able to get one of the coyotes.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 01:19 PM

I haven't seen a doe without a fawn yet this season. In the last two weeks I have been seeing a few fawns coming to the feeders by their self. I know that usually happens when the does start coming into heat.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 01:22 PM

Worst fawn crop I've have seen on my ranch in 20 years. Maybe 15-20% survival rate. Usually a bad year is 40%.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Does Without Fawns - 11/09/21 02:41 PM

I have yet to see a fawn this year. very unusual.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum