Texas Hunting Forum

8 Pointer Qs

Posted By: Dodge_Rock

8 Pointer Qs - 11/08/21 12:17 PM

First & only time this buck showed at a feeder. Wondering how old & will he stay an 8?
Of course, he might move on & never be seen again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/08/21 01:16 PM

Big bodied mature deer.

There is never any way to tell what a deer is going to do. The big deer I shot on my little place in St Hedwig 2 years ago was a slick 8 point at 2.5, 3.5, & 4.5. At 5.5 he added a nice G4 on one side and forked one G2 and had a good kicker off his other G2 for a total of 11 points.
Posted By: freerange

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/08/21 01:26 PM

Agree with ILUV. I think the majority(barely) of bucks keep the same number of points from 4 or so on, at least through prime. However, a big minority(I’m guessing percentages) will add or subtract a typical or nontypical point all through life and especially post prime stuff gets added or subtracted a lot and no pattern. Leases that shoot most of their 3 and 4 years olds just never get to witness this. The new place I’m on now has a huge amount of nontypical points and a lot of mature deer and we see all kind of stuff adding and subtracting. I had already planned to post some progression series of pics when I got time and will one day.
One thing for sure, if you kill him this year(not saying don’t) you will never know.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/08/21 10:34 PM

Chances are excellent he will stay a main frame 8....but could easily add 'sticker' points or branch off some non typical ones in years to come.

Nice, healthy buck. He is at an age where nutrition will really start to show up in his antlers. Until about 4...much of the calcium and minerals are absorbed by the skeleton.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/09/21 12:26 AM

Nice one
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/09/21 01:29 AM

We have a couple of bucks that look identical. I agree with those above. May add a kicker or two with more age but probably stay an 8pt frame.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: 8 Pointer Qs - 11/09/21 01:55 AM

He looks mature, but he may not be an eight point next year. And he might not have been an eight point last year...There are several variables involved. Survalence cameras are invaluable in these situations... But then he could be an eight again...Nutrition over time is your friend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum