Texas Hunting Forum

Spikes

Posted By: DQ Kid

Spikes - 11/07/21 05:11 PM

Shoot them on sight or no? I'm in an AR county and had a 2.5 yo, 8" spike on both sides inside of 50 yards today. Wasn't wanting to let a shot go at 7AM with the rest of morning to sit. Wondering if I should have made some "grind" out of him. What say THF.....
Posted By: Big8

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 05:36 PM

I generally shoot a spike every year, we have good number of 1.5 year old bucks so I don’t see any harm in it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 05:42 PM

I think this is where camera's are very useful to monitor the deer population in your are to see what the pattern is.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 07:33 PM

I shoot them as my 2nd buck tag almost every year that I see them
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 07:39 PM

I shot one yesterday there’s one more hanging around by friend named him sausage and may not make it past today.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 07:58 PM

I don't target them, but if one shows up when its time to fill the cooler, then... rifle
Posted By: JCB

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 08:07 PM

Since 1997 I have hunted all over state and have only seen one spike that wasn’t a yearling. Shoot them if you want but there is a 99% chance you ain’t shooting a 2+ year old deer. It’s debatable if a yearling spike is inferior, but very rare to find a 2 year old spike. That’s coming from someone that spends more time in the woods in 1 year than most do in 5 years.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 08:39 PM

Since I am not in an AR county I would happily shoot 2 spikes a year. Haven't cared about antlers in decades. I hunt to fill the freezer.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 08:52 PM

I am not particular, anything that shows up gets the opportunity to fill the freezer.
Posted By: USMC89

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 09:17 PM

I will usually take my spike being in an AR county depending on how many I’m seeing sitting and on camera.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 09:46 PM

A 2 year old spike I'm definitely shooting.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 09:53 PM

I’m in AR county and I shot a spike on one side. I need some meat.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Spikes - 11/07/21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Since I am not in an AR county I would happily shoot 2 spikes a year. Haven't cared about antlers in decades. I hunt to fill the freezer.

Same here, they still eat good.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Spikes - 11/08/21 02:31 AM

I shoot everyone I see - don’t care about the old debate that they will turn into something. Have too many other nicer 1.5 - 3.5 year old deer that are 8+ and not going to wait on a spike.
Posted By: Gw123

Re: Spikes - 11/08/21 04:09 AM

I didn’t shoot spikes, most of them around here are super young. I will shoot one that’s extremely long or has something unique/interesting going on. For instance this year there’s a spike on our place that is a normal spike on one side, but the other side come out for his pedicle and splits right at the head and the spilt side is probably only 3” long something different I might put a tag on later in the season if we need another deer for the freezer.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Spikes - 11/09/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
Since 1997 I have hunted all over state and have only seen one spike that wasn’t a yearling. Shoot them if you want but there is a 99% chance you ain’t shooting a 2+ year old deer. It’s debatable if a yearling spike is inferior, but very rare to find a 2 year old spike. That’s coming from someone that spends more time in the woods in 1 year than most do in 5 years.

JCB, you have expressed my opinion on spikes better than anyone ever has. I could elaborate some but youve covered 90% of it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum