Texas Hunting Forum

Controversial. The use of Tinks.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/04/21 10:37 PM

I have not used any attractants with any luck. Except Tinks 69.

I bought two cans today. Last opening day I sprayed some as I walked to my blind. As sun rise, I was covered up with bucks. More young, but I have seen it work. But only early in season.

Opinions?
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/04/21 11:37 PM

It’s one of those things that just depends. I have seen bucks trail up a scent drag. Have also watched deer obviously come into a scent wick I had hanging on a low limb (nose right up on it from down wind). Other times, deer just ignored it. I don’t have an explanation for either. Possibly has to do with when does in that area come into estrous. Several years ago, I had a doe come by me at 8:00 AM. At 2:30 PM, an eight point came by trailing her. Nose on the ground, and followed her path exactly, even making corrections when he veered off to one side. I wonder if I had scent out would that buck would have come to it. I think possibly, as he was actively searching. That day was the one and only time I’ve had a failure to fire with a centerfire cartridge. Just my luck.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/04/21 11:39 PM

Corn feeder and young bucks go together.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/04/21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Corn feeder and young bucks go together.

I got so many oak trees, corn is barely touched. Last few years, it has rained acorns.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 01:35 AM

IMO, using a scent is much like throwing a lure near a large mouth bass. It's all depends on the buck's mood at the time.

However, I also believe you can make him a little more interested during the rut by adding something to it, like the sound of a rattle bag or antlers being bumped together.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 01:40 AM

I put in a 35MM film canister on a cotton ball and only open it when I'm there and hunting. I've watched them nose it out of the tree several times.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 12:36 PM

I used to use it successfully when bow hunting
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 06:10 PM

I use Code Blue doe esturs on a wick and have game camera pics with their nose on the wick. Code Blue works for me.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 06:13 PM

I wouldn't call it controversial...
I've used it and haven't killed a buck (or doe) since 2015....this season is looking to be the best in years according to my traik camera.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Controversial. The use of Tinks. - 11/05/21 06:33 PM

The original Tinks attracted bucks of all sizes like a magnet. I had numerous buck that followed my drag rag trail for more than 100 yds with their nose to the ground grunting all the way. One numerous occasions I had Bucks standing down wind of my scent canisters performing flehmen lip curls then walk straight to the canister for a long sniff. I shot many bucks during archery season with their nose still in contact with the canister.

When the company was sold by Tink Nathan the quality began to deteriorate.

I’ve tried a variety of doe in estrus scents over the years but none worked as well as the original Tinks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum