Texas Hunting Forum

Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder?

Posted By: bulltide

Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 06:36 PM

There are a couple more mesquites that I have to cut down to get a clear shooting lane at one of our feeders.

The only time I have to do it is this Thursday.

Is that too late? Should I just use a regular saw instead of a chain saw?

Thanks guys.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 06:51 PM

Not at all get er done.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 07:03 PM

Probably not. Took this picture a couple of weeks ago, I was running a chainsaw and took a 5min break. Left the saw on top of the feeder while I went to the truck for a drink of water.
Looked back and saw this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 07:11 PM

I've got a game cam pic of me from a few weeks ago with a deer at the feeder and me running a brush cutter in the background.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 07:22 PM

depends....you could chainsaw at noon and shoot does that evening. However, can't see a mature buck hanging around for that. I'd nip what I could and leave the chainsawing for another time. Maybe do the heavy work just before you leave this weekend?
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 07:50 PM

Cut away. I have 2 feeders out at 30 dree angel from each other and while chainsawing and mowing at 1 I saw deer at the other. They are about 100 yards apart.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 07:52 PM

Nope..I mowed, filled feeders & cut a few limbs before our Saturday afternoon youth hunt…had deer in the feed pen 15 minutes after I closed the gate.
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Davis300
Nope..I mowed, filled feeders & cut a few limbs before our Saturday afternoon youth hunt…had deer in the feed pen 15 minutes after I closed the gate.

Them Deer have become part of the family 😂
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 09:28 PM

Man I go out and cut some cheese and don’t see Deer for 3 days. Fill the feeder and they are in 5 minutes later. Shouldn’t have any issues
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 11:31 PM

Depends, if you've been getting pictures of mature bucks at the feeder than I wouldn't chance it.
Trim before you leave to come home.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 11:44 PM

Never too late. Guy down on our Starr County lease years ago busted the biggest buck ever on that place, 12pt right close to an active rig with all kind of banging going on.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 11:46 PM

Had a dozer and loader working 100 yards from a feeder all week and parked there at night. Deer at that feeder every morning and afternoon this week. Finished our work after 6 day and loaded up the dozer and loader at 5pm today. Had an 8pt and 5 Doe at that feeder as the sun went down.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 11:54 PM

No. I did it today for an hour or so. This was at 1400. At 1700 had 3 doe and our largest buck running around in the hollow below my house.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/01/21 11:55 PM

Go for it.

I'm cutting up a Pine with a 40" trunk on it (blew over onto my fenceline). Have been working on for hours on end the last few days. Have game cam pics of deer walking right past it and into my pasture each night when I'm done.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 12:01 AM

Make sure you have your rifle nearby
Posted By: freerange

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 01:06 AM

I hope its ok cause I been going through lots of saw gas lately. I would prefer not to but I like to see whats out there.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 06:10 PM

I've never had a problem with that sort of thing. We have a group of does i call the "cornheads" and you just about can't run them off. Bucks are a little more cautious but the last time I mowed and weedeated there was a buck in the pen before I got back to the house.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 06:14 PM

Buddy was working on his blind - cutting wood and screwing in a shelf - on the last day or the season a few years back. Making all sorts of noise. He looks up and sees the biggest buck he had seen in a decade. two hours later he has the buck in the cooler and goes back to finished working on the shelf. You just never know....
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 06:24 PM

I have deer in the field with me while i am still cutting hay. Doesnt bother them at all.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 07:24 PM

Had this guy come wandering by Saturday afternoon while me and two friends were banging away at the range. 50 yards from the bench and he didn't have a care in the world. 15 minutes after we quit shooting we were sitting around drinking beer and had 4 does walk by us.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 07:37 PM

Just don't chase 'em with the chainsaw while wearing a hockey mask, and there shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 08:20 PM

Should be fine as long as not clearing field
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Buddy was working on his blind - cutting wood and screwing in a shelf - on the last day or the season a few years back. Making all sorts of noise. He looks up and sees the biggest buck he had seen in a decade. two hours later he has the buck in the cooler and goes back to finished working on the shelf. You just never know....

I've seen this before. Always, ALWAYS, have a weapon in reach during the season.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/02/21 08:52 PM

It will be fine. Those deer know it is not Nov 6 yet, lol. If they are impeding your hunting view them cut them down. If you don't then a shooter buck likely will appear and stop right behind that tree/limb and you'll be regretting not clearing.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/03/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Paralax22
Originally Posted by Davis300

Them Deer have become part of the family 😂

HaHa! Nope, about 10 of them taking a dirt nap this year. My protein bill is ridiculous.
Posted By: Western

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/03/21 04:01 AM

Needing a "clear" shooting lane pretty much solves what you need to do imo. Agree with the guys on it will likely tire you more than it spooks the deer
Posted By: FullDraw55

Re: Is it too late to chainsaw trees around the feeder? - 11/03/21 06:27 PM

if the deer are used to humans being around making noise then the deer are used to noises. I can work chainsaw and plow my foot plot on the 2nd weekend of bow season and still had deer that night.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum