Texas Hunting Forum

Young Co

Posted By: fonzie

Young Co - 10/26/21 02:53 PM

How we looking? I haven’t had anything special on camera yet hopefully that changes…
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Young Co - 10/26/21 03:02 PM

Mature buck movement is still late at night, cooler temps in the morning the last two weekends didn’t change that. Need to get some cooler PM temps to hopefully get deer on their feet
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Young Co - 10/28/21 12:42 AM

Got a few nice 8’s coming in, but they look young. Not seeing many older bucks.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Young Co - 10/29/21 10:41 PM

We were looking good in July/Aug. Not sure since as cameras ran out of juice and a feeder too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Young Co - 10/29/21 11:13 PM

Got some good ones DQ ! Nice.

Re: Young Co - 10/29/21 11:37 PM

Just rattled in this guy. Doesn’t seem like the whitetail are starting but the red deer post rut is on and this little guy was looking for some leftovers.

[Linked Image]

Re: Young Co - 10/29/21 11:38 PM

Gonna be 39 in the AM so hopefully gets something big on its feet

Re: Young Co - 10/30/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleACRanch
Just rattled in this guy. Doesn’t seem like the whitetail are starting but the red deer post rut is on and this little guy was looking for some leftovers.

[Linked Image]

What part of young co are you in? I heard of them running around but over seen one. Sure wish one would show up at my place!

Re: Young Co - 10/30/21 10:03 PM

East of Graham. Our neighbor to the south is the original one who introduced them several decades ago. They are all over from 16 up to 380. If you like WT hunting, they aren’t great for it.

Re: Young Co - 10/31/21 01:14 AM

rifle
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Young Co - 10/31/21 08:16 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couple that have been showing up lately! Hopefully they keep coming back
Posted By: Stub

Re: Young Co - 10/31/21 08:22 PM

I use to see Red deer all off of the time off of Finis rd close to FM 1191

Re: Young Co - 11/02/21 12:26 PM

Few day out! Buddy of mine who’s up the road told me he saw two bucks chasing doe.
Posted By: tr22johnson

Re: Young Co - 11/02/21 12:35 PM

In Northern Young County on Sunday I watched a buck give full fledge chase on a doe hot and heavy.

Re: Young Co - 11/18/21 02:26 AM

Young County in full rut mode now??
Posted By: bigbuckboy

Re: Young Co - 11/18/21 02:43 AM

[Linked Image]
My son killed him last weekend running a doe
Posted By: Earl

Re: Young Co - 11/18/21 04:39 AM

I have a few Young County pics posted up in this section on another post...hopefully one of the 2 I pictured will show up when I'm in the stand. They have been showing up during daylight hours. I think the rut may be going on this weekend. Some of my doe were getting awful skittish/antsy last weekend. Younger bucks have been fighting on my cameras for the last 2 weeks.
Posted By: 83mvp

Re: Young Co - 11/18/21 07:47 PM

Rut is/was definitely in high gear on our place in NW Young County. Several does being run around on my last time in the stand on the 14th.

Re: Young Co - 11/19/21 12:45 AM

Sings of rut are there but one of the mildest ruts I have seen in years. Almost like they went straight from summer groups to lockdown. Warm weather just has everything bedded down and moving at night IMO

Re: Young Co - 11/30/21 01:21 PM

Seen a few young bucks grouped together Saturday.. still don’t have anything special showing up but I’m ok with that. I do enjoy seeing lots of good young bucks!

Re: Young Co - 11/30/21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by fonzie
Seen a few young bucks grouped together Saturday.. still don’t have anything special showing up but I’m ok with that. I do enjoy seeing lots of good young bucks!

Agree, saw a lot of activity this past Sunday after the Saturday storms like the deer were "holed up" for 12-18 hours. Several nice younger bucks and does and yearlings. Been a great year for deer numbers. Also saw what looked like the secondary rut starting to kickoff, two nice younger bucks were trotting on trails of doe..Think the next two weeks or so could start to heat up...

Re: Young Co - 11/30/21 03:55 PM

Caught up to one of our 7yr olds who had been hitting the corn hard this past week. Zero body fat on him so assume the rut is winding through down and post rut feeding window begins. This is the time when we typical harvest most of our older deer as the acorns are starting to rot and the need the carbs from the corn

Re: Young Co - 12/06/21 12:20 AM

How's Young county looking lately; the secondary rut kick in yet? Neighbors are saying bucks are cruising into feeders for short stints and doe are starting to get skittish again so maybe tomorrow's and Tuesday's cooler temps will jolt them up again to go at it some...
Posted By: jcneef

Re: Young Co - 12/06/21 10:07 PM

i was out this weekend in young county and didnt see too much rut activity...

Re: Young Co - 12/13/21 01:27 PM

Didn’t see much this past weekend. A few good young bucks but nothing I wanted to pull the trigger on. With the shortage of ammo I think saving a bullet is a trophy as well lol.

Re: Young Co - 12/13/21 01:59 PM

Saw three different 4.5 year olds and there were some new bucks cruising through on camera. Probably in the back half or almost through second rut as feeder traffic was picking up again.

Re: Young Co - 12/15/21 05:00 PM

Any recent Young county happenings???
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Young Co - 12/16/21 02:19 AM

[quote=DQ Kid]Any recent Young county happenings???[/quote

Just south of you in Stephens county. Seems like rut has run it's course. Bucks and does grazing together and not much chasing going on. Have stopped seeing any new bucks here.
Posted By: Roc

Re: Young Co - 12/17/21 02:31 AM

Hunted today and will hunt in the morning. This morning bucks were back in bachelor groups. Ruts done. I have a 7 was an 8 with broke brow tine that I plan to take. I held out hoping for a 9 that was once on camera. Time is running out. So it time to take the next best one. I have several 8's showing up that are your typical 13-14" deer. I hunt between Bryson and Graham.

Re: Young Co - 12/17/21 03:15 AM

Just finished going through pics this is the best buck I have but he only shows up once every two weeks. I think he still has another year to go.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 02:31 AM

That will be a Awesome buck in 1 of 2 years . Nice brow tines .

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 05:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 05:57 AM

This one showed up after bow hunting all month, opening rifle season . Had not seen him until the evening before. He is a Young county buck .

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 06:23 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 06:54 AM

Nice buck👍

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 01:47 PM

Good buck, like the bladeing he has.

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Good buck, like the bladeing he has.

Looks like a big bodied deer this late in game

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 02:55 PM

He is probably the biggest bodied deer I have shot . The mass on the antlers is awesome. He is almost 19 inches wide on the inside spread. The pictures really don’t do him justice . Don’t have a clue what he will score . Will attempt that when I get him back from the taxi.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 03:10 PM

Fantastic

Re: Young Co - 12/19/21 03:37 PM

Great buck love the mass. Congrats

Re: Young Co - 12/22/21 03:27 AM

Some recent Young county boys.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roc

Re: Young Co - 12/24/21 05:44 AM

Man down. Had to take the stud in the bunch for some meat.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Young Co - 12/24/21 11:38 AM

Very nice buck! cheers

Re: Young Co - 12/24/21 03:16 PM

Nice deer 👍

Re: Young Co - 12/24/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Roc
Man down. Had to take the stud in the bunch for some meat.
[Linked Image]

Nice one Roc, whereabouts are you in Young Co.?
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Young Co - 12/24/21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
[Linked Image]

Is that a 444 or 45/70?
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Young Co - 12/25/21 04:15 AM

Stonewall co is slow still to warm

Re: Young Co - 12/25/21 11:43 PM

Was kicking around the idea of heading out in the AM BUT with it’s going to be 90* think I’ll just stay home

Re: Young Co - 12/26/21 04:36 PM

Jm marling 45/70 guide

Re: Young Co - 12/26/21 04:49 PM

Bought that gun this year . Was wanting one for a long time . Found a good deal on one earlier this year so purchased it. Wasn’t sure if was going to be to much on whitetail but after recovering my buck realized that there was no more damage to the meat than my 270 or 308. The shot I made on him was about 150 yards . Wouldn’t want to go much further than that with it especially with the small scope that is on it . But it got the job done . Would guess this old buck would have dressed out a bit over 200#. Was a great season this year .
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Young Co - 12/26/21 05:28 PM

Those are some nice bucks for sure!

Re: Young Co - 12/26/21 08:28 PM

88 degrees. I’m sweating

Re: Young Co - 12/26/21 08:53 PM

Way too hot for December.

Re: Young Co - 12/28/21 11:49 PM

Sundays cold snap!! To hunt or not?? low of 21*!

Re: Young Co - 12/29/21 12:15 AM

Hell yes hunt it. Gonna blow 30 on Saturday they’ll be stirred up Sunday am
Posted By: Texgun

Re: Young Co - 12/29/21 09:30 PM

The mystery critter in the fifth post in this is a Red Stag.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Young Co - 12/29/21 09:48 PM

Hey Bud!
I'd hunt for sure, we been hunting every weekend and have seen fantastic action, even when hot. The cold front should make it even better. Just up the road from you in Megargel.
After the Rut winding down, still seeing some bucks with does as of last weekend, they'll be on the food building back up.
Posted By: Revolutionary Redneck

Re: Young Co - 02/18/22 03:15 AM

Any of y’all know someone in young county that coon hunts? Need lots of off season coons killed.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Young Co - 02/18/22 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Revolutionary Redneck
Any of y’all know someone in young county that coon hunts? Need lots of off season coons killed.

Jason, I'll be trapping them along the creek border between our leases and at our feeders a few times from sometime soon through Turkey season. Mostly dog proof traps and steel traps, but I do also use 220 conibears in bucket sets. And some snares and larger steel traps around the field edges for coyotes and bobcats. Bad combination with coon dogs. Dogs don't know not to cross that creek and very likely could get in my traps or snares. I took several coons out last time I was out there.
Posted By: Revolutionary Redneck

Re: Young Co - 06/10/22 02:37 AM

I’ve been slowly trapping those bastards and shooting them with the thermal. We won’t be hunting them with dogs for sure. Just fyi, we started feeding cottonseed this year and it took a couple months but they love it now
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum