Texas Hunting Forum

Neck shooters

Posted By: mikei

Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:29 AM

For those of you who shoot for the neck on your WT's, do you shoot closer to the head; closer to the body; right in the middle? I always go for the middle.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:30 AM

When I did shoot them in the neck...it was all of the above.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:37 AM

With me it all depends on the angle of the deer, and the range. The base of the neck broadside is my preferred shot. They drop dead, and I still have some neck roast and front shoulders that aren't blood shot. If I'm not comfortable with a neck shot for a number of reasons, then it's high shoulder.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
With me it all depends on the angle of the deer, and the range. The base of the neck broadside is my preferred shot. They drop dead, and I still have some neck roast and front shoulders that aren't blood shot. If I'm not comfortable with a neck shot for a number of reasons, then it's high shoulder.

High Shoulder for me, IF the deer needs to be dropped right there.

Otherwise tight behind the shoulder on broadside shots.

Have never neck shot a deer. But it certainly works if you can make the shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 10:27 AM

I used to shoot lots of deer 8n the neck, but then had a really bad experience with a neck shot that bothered me so bad I just watched deer the rest of the trip and couldn't get myself to shoot again. I don't think I'll ever make a neck shot again. The high shoulder is new to me. Seems alot of folks use it.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
For those of you who shoot for the neck on your WT's, do you shoot closer to the head; closer to the body; right in the middle? I always go for the middle.

Middle all day, every day...
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 12:11 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 12:51 PM

Closer to the head for me and only shots 75 yards or less
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:00 PM

Right in the center.

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

[Linked Image]

I prefer a quartering to me shot at the base of the neck/point of the shoulder area also. I like the high shoulder shot placement above also. The pics below show shots I have taken and like all of them. What dictates shot for me is the distance and angle applies to any shot taken. When broadside I try to take out both shoulders if possible so I aim just below the high shoulder shot placement and the point of the shoulder shot placement. A good friend of mines Dad used to say about shot placement: "If you take out the running gear they ain't going far". His reference was to shooting thru both shoulders to break them both.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Right in the center.

And only at closer distances when a shot to the vitals doesn't present itself. I've only shot one buck in the neck and it was because he walked out from the brush at about 30 yards and stopped behind a tree. With his neck being visible and feeling he was sure to wind me, I took the shot. A 130-grain bullet from my .270 snapped his neck immediately.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:36 PM

When I put in the time to feel confident in it, I usually shot for the joint of the neck and skull. Dad still shoots at the base of the neck which works, but 90% of the time he gets close enough to the shoulder that he busts the off side shoulder up a little with a slight quarter, no harm no foul dead deer is dead deer.

I must say I loved high neck/head shot deer when it came to cleaning, but I much prefer dead and recovered deer to one that got away, that said I never lost one to neck shooting. My shot distance was pretty short most of the time I shot deer in the neck.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:52 PM

"I prefer a quartering to me shot at the base of the neck/point of the shoulder area also. I like the high shoulder shot placement above also. The pics below show shots I have taken and like all of them. What dictates shot for me is the distance and angle applies to any shot taken. When broadside I try to take out both shoulders if possible so I aim just below the high shoulder shot placement and the point of the shoulder shot placement."

Is this anecdotal or have you shot any like this?
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:53 PM

Depends on the angle, but it is usually middle of the neck and up. Never had one take another step. .22-250 with ballistic tips

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
"I prefer a quartering to me shot at the base of the neck/point of the shoulder area also. I like the high shoulder shot placement above also. The pics below show shots I have taken and like all of them. What dictates shot for me is the distance and angle applies to any shot taken. When broadside I try to take out both shoulders if possible so I aim just below the high shoulder shot placement and the point of the shoulder shot placement."

Yes, 100's of deer. I shot my biggest LF WT and MD both with a quartering to me shot. Both were at just over 200 yards. Shot my pronghorn the same year as those two with a quartering to me shot at just over 200 yards also.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 01:55 PM

The only neck shot I've had was on accident. Deer turned right as I was pulling the trigger.

A neck shot is clearly effective, and I'd do it if needed, but IMO you just cant go wrong with a high shoulder if you are looking to drop them.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 02:33 PM

I rarely shoot in the neck. The only time I do so is while still hunting. If a deer pops up facing me with head high in alert position, I will aim for the white patch just below the chin. I only take this shot on close in (60 yards or less). so far, I am 2 for 2 on this placement.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

[Linked Image]

I prefer a quartering to me shot at the base of the neck/point of the shoulder area also. I like the high shoulder shot placement above also. The pics below show shots I have taken and like all of them. What dictates shot for me is the distance and angle applies to any shot taken. When broadside I try to take out both shoulders if possible so I aim just below the high shoulder shot placement and the point of the shoulder shot placement. A good friend of mines Dad used to say about shot placement: "If you take out the running gear they ain't going far". His reference was to shooting thru both shoulders to break them both.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't you lose a lot of shoulder meat with this shot?
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 02:37 PM

I have neck shot many deer over the years. I like the base of the neck on anything close to a side shot, the black stripe if they are going away with their head up, or the white patch on the throat if head on and trajectory allows. Lots of variables to guide the decision. That being said, I haven't neck shot a deer in about 10yrs now and oddly enough the deer still die.

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by stxranchman

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't you lose a lot of shoulder meat with this shot?

Not really. They drop and don't move, sun no bloodshot from running. I shoot 130 grain Core-lokts so they is rarely a pass thru either when hit that much bone and muscle on larger bodied bucks. I used to process all my own deer and did not have much waste...just what I trimmed out around the wound channel. I have seen more people leave edible meat on a carcass than I wasted with my shot placement.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 03:11 PM

I'm a neck shooter on meat deer. I put the cross hair in the middle right below the head/ neck joint.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 03:39 PM

banana
Posted By: freerange

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Catperch
I used to shoot lots of deer 8n the neck, but then had a really bad experience with a neck shot that bothered me so bad I just watched deer the rest of the trip and couldn't get myself to shoot again. I don't think I'll ever make a neck shot again. The high shoulder is new to me. Seems alot of folks use it.

Catperch, im with you on the bad experience. MD 40 years ago and still haunts me.
As for the high shoulder-lots on here do seem to like it but I dont think its super common. It is definitely deadly but I suggest you really study the anatomy and think about it. If you can hit right where you aim its great but I dont think it leaves as much room for error. Im not a pin point accurate kind of shooter(try but not) so I aim a little lower and a little back from that picture. Still in the shoulder but the very middle of what I think is the kill zone. If you hit a little high or forward on the high shoulder it may not be deadly. Great shooters, yall go ahead but I want a little safety net on placement.

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 05:19 PM

Plain & simple, this shot with its opportunity to break down vertebrae is the most likely shot placement to plant a deer.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

banana

I laughed too. Huds the next Chappell

I wish they would just sticky these photos at top of deer hunting. Name of thread “shoot here!!”

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

banana

I laughed too. Huds the next Chappell

I wish they would just sticky these photos at top of deer hunting. Name of thread “shoot here!!”

There will still be some that would not read it.....

I was going to reply to Hud with "only once on a spotted hog" grin

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 06:25 PM

Must've been two of them..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 06:28 PM

Plain & simple, this shot with its opportunity to break down vertebrae is the most likely shot placement to plant a deer.
[Linked Image]

Poor reference though as that buck is obviously too young to be shooting
Posted By: DSpur72

Re: Neck shooters - 10/22/21 08:27 PM

In the white patch just below the bottom jaw bone.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Neck shooters - 10/23/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Catperch

Catperch, im with you on the bad experience. MD 40 years ago and still haunts me.
As for the high shoulder-lots on here do seem to like it but I dont think its super common. It is definitely deadly but I suggest you really study the anatomy and think about it. If you can hit right where you aim its great but I dont think it leaves as much room for error. Im not a pin point accurate kind of shooter(try but not) so I aim a little lower and a little back from that picture. Still in the shoulder but the very middle of what I think is the kill zone. If you hit a little high or forward on the high shoulder it may not be deadly. Great shooters, yall go ahead but I want a little safety net on placement.

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with what has worked for me.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Neck shooters - 10/23/21 02:26 AM

I have shot a bunch of does in the neck. Skinny part of the neck about 2” under the jaw. When I’m shooting does it is for meat and I like to avoid tearing much of it up. Waiting for the right angle is part of the deal to center up on the spine.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: Neck shooters - 10/23/21 03:00 AM

Used to be a full time neck shooter and I do still take the occasional neck shot when the presentation is perfect (head down feeding, broadside. Aim for the center of the neck close to the base)

I mostly make high shoulder shots now.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Neck shooters - 10/24/21 01:52 AM

JG will be along in a bit to tell ya'll are all wrong, he is the only one who knows how to neck shoot, eyeball shot confused2
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Neck shooters - 10/24/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
JG will be along in a bit to tell ya'll are all wrong, he is the only one who knows how to neck shoot, eyeball shot confused2

What’s gotten into you?

Re: Neck shooters - 10/24/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

What’s gotten into you?

More than just the Yuengling he threatened us with.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum