Texas Hunting Forum

Buck in the yard - in rut maybe?

Posted By: 603Country

Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 03:50 PM

Had a young 6 point in the yard this morning, all the craziness of the rut. He was running this way and that and then started tracking.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 03:57 PM

It's not too early for somebody to come into heat. I've seen it before.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 03:57 PM

Would not surprise me, not all does are receptive at the same time. I have seen bucks and does going at it as early as Oct in Eastland and Lampasas counties. If there is a doe beginning to be ready there will be bucks ready
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 04:03 PM

Had a couple photos on my backyard feeder cam of what looked like a buck chasing does in Wilson county earlier this week.
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 05:24 PM

Can certainly happen - I've seen it firsthand, but on average most are later November (or whenever you start to see a lot more dead deer on the roads).
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 05:27 PM

Bucks have been pushing does for a few weeks out here.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/20/21 05:34 PM

Bucks will start feeling the urge and sniffing pee spots, does not mean the doe are receptive or in estrus, just means teenage boys will do what teenage boys do...
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 03:30 PM

As Buckeye said, bucks are always ready. Does are not. If you've noticed, peak rut times vary very little from year to year, given the same area. You can almost book peak chase/seek phase by the first full moon in November. It will be wide open then, IME.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 03:36 PM

603, Ive been in your yard. There isnt much distance between your yard and your woods. Besides that, it was a young buck and others have touched on that. Hard antler = ready willing and able.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Bucks will start feeling the urge and sniffing pee spots, does not mean the doe are receptive or in estrus, just means teenage boys will do what teenage boys do...

Just teenagers hugh grin
Posted By: KKS

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 04:34 PM

I was in the blind in Kerr county once around this time of year. While in the blind a front passed through and it dropped around 20 degrees. It went from 0 rut activity and lazy deer, to all out rut fest.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 04:38 PM

There was no doe in the yard, and he was young and probably enthused. Still, maybe he sniffed something that got him enthused. In sequence, he ate some corn at the feeder and walked around a bit. Then he took off in a dead run for the spot in the woods edge where the does usually come into the yard. A short time later, I’m guessing he realized he was going the wrong direction, and here he came sprinting back into view, and he then started moving along the path that deer take to our pond. Pretty sure he was looking for love, though he might have wound up getting rejected, as we all have in years past.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/21/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
It's not too early for somebody to come into heat. I've seen it before.

Saw a buck chasing a doe in Navarro county yesterday morning.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Buck in the yard - in rut maybe? - 10/22/21 02:10 AM

Always in late October
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum