Texas Hunting Forum

Late fawns

Posted By: SB9969

Late fawns - 10/18/21 12:35 AM

Found a fawn that had died today right beside the house. The fawn couldnt have been more than a week old. Ddidnt weight but maybe 10-12 pounds. I know its most likely from a yearly last years being bred late but still a surprise. Also have another fawn that maybe is a month old only, still spots and very small. Just wonder how common this is?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Late fawns - 10/18/21 12:43 AM

I've seen two in the past month that were tiny, here's my thoughts. I wonder if some of the Does aborted during the freeze and came back in after. I know my bucks here carry their antlers into March. If that happened, they should have been born August-early September for this area.

Another thing is my fawn crop is way down and it should have been a good year with the spring rains and good cover.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Late fawns - 10/18/21 04:23 PM

definitely a strange year.. Saw a doe sat evening with twin fawns that had spots..still rather small as well...Most of our does are bred late oct to early Nov...to sill have spots most likely a late Feb breeding...
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Late fawns - 10/18/21 05:07 PM

I've seen it often in Webb county.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Late fawns - 10/18/21 06:38 PM

Saw one yesterday morning in Lee county, probably a month old.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Late fawns - 10/18/21 11:40 PM

I think the weather we have been getting has everything messed up. At my spot we still have fawns with spot and some that spot are faded, along with completely gone. It is crazy.
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Late fawns - 10/19/21 12:31 AM

Same here, had a fawn with spots on camera last week. Sure seems awfully late for that.
Posted By: Firstlight10

Re: Late fawns - 10/19/21 12:50 AM

Probably early born doe fawns from last year that bred and had fawns.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Late fawns - 10/19/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Firstlight10
Probably early born doe fawns from last year that bred and had fawns.

Yes, this happens way more than people realize.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum