Posted By: shooterwalter

corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/17/21 02:57 AM

corn Pile or Feeder for deer
Posted By: huntindude

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/17/21 03:04 AM

Both
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/17/21 03:05 AM

A feeder is like a dinner bell, still throw corn on senderos or on trails.
They get use to the feeder when your not there.
Posted By: LanceH

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 01:23 PM

I think you have to try both and see what works. I believe it is different depending on your location and how many deer you have in your area. I have bucks on camera at my feeder but always between 1000 pm and 0200 in the morning. Many people say big bucks don't come to feeders because they have learned they may get shot at. They mature and live long by learning.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 01:28 PM

Feeder and road feeder is what I use. Deer that move later at night usually don't live on the land, so they have travel time to get to the feeder. If they live on the land where the feeder is they will be there much sooner or even in the low to first/last light. With pre-rut to rut about to begin bucks will start moving around more and finding new territories.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 02:34 PM

Both....without question.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 02:44 PM

I've used both with mixed results. I've had deer show up about the time the feeder went off, and I've had deer who walked right past a pile of corn. That was a year with lots of acorns and every deer I opened up was absolutely chock-full of acorns. It's a more complex question than either-or.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 03:42 PM

At our lease it is rare to see a mature buck at a corn feeder. They occasionally check the feeders for does during the rut. I have had some luck getting bucks to come to chum piles though.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 03:56 PM

I run feeders set up strictly to attempt to try and draw the pigs to certain locations by feeding about 15-20 pounds of corn every afternoon from each specific feeder and I use hand corned or road feeder locations where I’m attempting to draw in the deer. I’ve had much greater success on hand corned spots verses feeders for older deer but I’m sure it depends on your location to a point.
Posted By: freerange

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892
A feeder is like a dinner bell, still throw corn on senderos or on trails.
They get use to the feeder when your not there.

^^^concur concur concur.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 04:47 PM

Spread the corn out just not dumped in a pile. Feeders and some spread out works for me, I have seen mature bucks at the feeders and others that would not hit the feeder but clean up ocrn spread 70 yards from the feeder.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/18/21 04:50 PM

I hang the sack out the window and dribble it from the feeder to the stand. grin
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/19/21 12:46 AM

I do both. I dump a bag of corn in my feeder pen the night before and it will last all weekend. Reason why is because too often I watched a young buck eat up all of the corn after the feeder went off. Then later, should a bigger buck come by and see no corn left, they keep on going. With a pile of corn there it lasts all weekend and if a big buck comes by, there is still something left to make him stick around.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 03:41 AM

Timed feeders pattern the deer. You want to train the deer to come around during shooting light. A pile of corn will hold them in a spot longer than corn broadcast by a feeder, however doing so after shooting light is rather pointless.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 04:06 AM

I spread corn on the way to the blind, I also had a feeder to the east and another to the west of the blind. During the off season we do not ru feeders, but every time we went we would corn the road the lead to the blind. I have seen deer within 30 minutes come up the road eating the corn that I had just spread.
Posted By: TKM

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 04:08 AM

Quit using feeders years ago. Hand corn and put it in a line perpendicular to my blind so they are spread out rather than in a group. Don't have to worry about what may be behind one i want to take.
Don't miss the feeders at all.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 04:47 AM

I hand feed every day and they will eat it 1 minute after I have touched it. I throw it where I plant oats, so they have to work for it and it holds them a lot longer than cleared out bare ground.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TKM
Quit using feeders years ago. Hand corn and put it in a line perpendicular to my blind so they are spread out rather than in a group. Don't have to worry about what may be behind one i want to take.
Don't miss the feeders at all.

My neighbor has a small property and he feeds heavily. Why should I feed?
I haven't since he started feeding three years ago, and I've seen just as many if not more now than I did when I ran feeders. I guess I should thank him for all the money he's saved me on corn!
Posted By: feralcreek

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 01:08 PM

I also have feeders going with chum spots. Are there any suggestions out there for ways to reduce the hog pressure on corn piles? I've got two large corral traps going but the hogs just keep coming. I killed about 40 last year. It seems like hog pressure is slightly less the farther from water that you go. I built a low 24inch panel fence a couple years ago that worked on hogs and unfortunately most deer too. I guess the fawns would eventually get used to jumping the fence.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: corn Pile or Feeder for deer - 10/21/21 02:25 PM

road feeder

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum