Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn for Balcones NWR

Posted By: LtizzleMcTiz

Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/17/21 05:12 PM

Just got my notice that I was drawn for the Balcones Canyon Lands National Wildlife Reserve. Anyone draw here in recent years? I heard 4x4 is needed and the area can be brush heavy (which I enjoy). Any tips or tricks? Also the site says there’s a 45min educational video I have to watch before the hunt but for some reason I can’t find a link or place to do that. Guess I will call them.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/17/21 05:53 PM

Its a hard place to hunt.....very rugged, dense cedar brakes and the neighbors all feed so it will skew the deer density a little bit.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/17/21 10:04 PM

Two years ago my wife and I hunted in a pasture that had two stands sitting over a couple fields. We were surrounded by smaller places that had feeders out and we saw one deer in two days. I think most of there were sticking close to the feeders.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/17/21 10:13 PM

Depends on what compartment you draw. Brother and I hunted compartment 1-1 during the hunt last season. Saw one deer between the two of us. I didn’t care for the hunt and will not apply again. If I could apply for a specific compartment, I might try again. Too much private land surrounding the area we hunted, and there was lots of commotion on those areas during the hunt. One side was clearing land with a dozer all weekend.
Posted By: LtizzleMcTiz

Re: Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/18/21 02:23 AM

Looks like 1-7 (the middle) may be the best? Or 1-8. Large area and lots of ground to cover
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Drawn for Balcones NWR - 09/18/21 07:56 PM

As I mentioned before, my wife and I hunted at the park and it was 4-1. Lots of private property around it with lots of deer feeders.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum