Texas Hunting Forum

is he legal

Posted By: Stetsonoverton

is he legal - 09/10/21 02:30 AM

i have the restriction in my county thus guy is coming pretty often, not sure if he makes the 20" outside. thoughts please [Linked Image]
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 02:35 AM

Mule Deer ARs, think he'll go 18-19" out of velvet but not 20.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 01:26 PM

I'd agree not 20" inside? Beautiful buck though!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 02:13 PM

Need a better straight on or facing the camera since he is so close to being legal. Big ears fool some on mule deer.

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:02 PM

the restriction is 20" outside spread and stx thats the only good pic i have of him... ill see if i can find another one

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:04 PM

[Linked Image]
I think this is him from earlier in the year but not 100%

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:14 PM

Does not look like him from the angle due to his left browtine in the first pic has an arc and bow in it. Might just be this pic angle but it does not look to be the same buck.

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stetsonoverton
[Linked Image]
I think this is him from earlier in the year but not 100%

This one looks slightly different to me...And slightly less wide too.

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:33 PM

prolly right guys guess i will have to wait and hope get some better pics next couple days
Posted By: freerange

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:39 PM

Im unfamiliar with the MD restrictions. Is it widest point or widest point of beams? May not matter much with him but just curious.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:39 PM

Mark 20 inches in white on the side of feeder bin. Eventually you will get a picture of him or see him in person that will tell you yes or no.

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 03:58 PM

It’s the widest point of the beams. And good idea benbob I’ve seen several last couple weeks that are legal but this guy is one of maybe 2 I’d actually be interested in [Linked Image]

This guy makes it but not what I’m looking for
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 05:32 PM

I had no ide mule deer had AR’s. Thanks for teaching me something today. up
Posted By: BenBob

Re: is he legal - 09/10/21 06:01 PM

The buck on the right makes it with a couple of inches to spare or maybe 1/2 of a foot to spare. The one on the left looks to have numerous points.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 02:51 AM

I don’t think he is
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 02:51 AM

Really nice deer sir
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Only in some counties.
Posted By: don k

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 11:35 AM

Only thing I know for sure is that he is not legal to shoot before the season starts.

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan

Only in some counties.

IIIRC it is 7 counties that they started with. Rumor was that it was to spread to more counties on both regions of the state.

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

Only in some counties.

IIIRC it is 7 counties that they started with. Rumor was that it was to spread to more counties on both regions of the state.

Is that a good thing?
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 03:56 PM

I believe it is. The young mule deer bucks were getting hammered because it was unique to shoot a mule deer in Texas. The AR were put in place to help them get more age and better antlers. I hunt in the SE Panhandle and it is not difficult to see a mule deer buck less than 20 that is young. The mature ones are far and few between.

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jakebunch
I believe it is. The young mule deer bucks were getting hammered because it was unique to shoot a mule deer in Texas. The AR were put in place to help them get more age and better antlers. I hunt in the SE Panhandle and it is not difficult to see a mule deer buck less than 20 that is young. The mature ones are far and few between.

Agreed I bet I only have 4-6 legal bucks on my place and maybe half might be mature.

Re: is he legal - 09/11/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stetsonoverton
Originally Posted by jakebunch

Agreed I bet I only have 4-6 legal bucks on my place and maybe half might be mature.

Interesting, thanks for the information.

Re: is he legal - 09/12/21 03:22 AM

[Linked Image]
newest pic

Re: is he legal - 09/12/21 03:48 AM

I see less than 20 based on the right ear to the right antler. If the antler was outside the ear on each side, most likely would be 20 or more. A good frontal picture will give a better reading.

Re: is he legal - 09/17/21 12:47 PM

Dude won’t give me a straight on pic but he’s there everyday hopefully at the opener I can see him
In person
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: is he legal - 09/17/21 12:52 PM

He looks just outside his ears at best.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: is he legal - 09/17/21 12:53 PM

x2

Had never heard of this.

Thanks for sharing the photos, its interesting to see something different from another part of ole texas. No help on spread Ive never done anything but debone and eat mule deer.

Re: is he legal - 09/18/21 07:22 PM

18-18.5", not 20" iIME.

Re: is he legal - 09/20/21 10:57 PM

I’m with y’all on he is borderline maybe just short but for just to reference it’s 20” outside spread from the main beams so closer yo 18” inside is what you need [Linked Image]
Finally got a pic of him straight on

Re: is he legal - 09/21/21 02:01 PM

We got one last year that was about 1 inch outside the ears on each side. When you looked at the head it was clear the rack was outside the ears and we all estimated the spread to be 22 inches and to easily exceed the a/r rule. When he was measured the spread was exactly 20 inches. That caused us to reevaluate how to estimate the width as we had believed if the rack was outside the ears it was legal.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: is he legal - 09/21/21 02:07 PM

So many words...
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum