Texas Hunting Forum

Help on age

Posted By: Old Smuggler

Help on age - 08/19/21 06:21 PM

Got a new one showing up to the feeder and I am having a hard time aging him. I have an idea but want the experts to way in to see how close/off I am. Funky headgear and loosing his winter coat... [Linked Image]
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 06:33 PM

Fat 3.5-4.5, take him out if not AR county
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid

I’m pretty much in agreement here, he needs to go ASAP if it’s possible.

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 06:59 PM

Not an AR county so he is on the hit list.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 07:20 PM

Off that one pic...my guess is 1.5

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 11:54 PM

my guess is older rather then younger. What are you seeing that is either 1.5 or 3.5?
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: Help on age - 08/19/21 11:58 PM

1.5 max
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 01:05 AM

Had him at 1.5 as well..
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 01:06 AM

Looks tender.

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 01:30 AM

On 2nd look, I can see 2.5-3/3.5, not younger though.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 01:52 AM

On 2nd look, I can see 2.5-3/3.5, not younger though.

Look again.

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 02:16 AM

Nope, lots of white coloration around those eye sockets, pretty paunchy gutt. Not seeing younger than 2.5. Deer needs to go.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 02:34 AM

Need a couple of better photos...but with that much staining on his tarsal glands...I would say he is at least middle age based on that one pic...but with more pics he may be a 2 yr old. He is not younger than that based on that one pic.

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 01:37 PM

Here are a few more along with some other regulars. These are as clear as my cell camera has. I'm sure when I pull the card they will be much better pic's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: Help on age - 08/20/21 03:14 PM

Baby....2 year old max. Leave him be. The older bucks are under the feeder and he is skirting them. He's a baby.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Help on age - 08/22/21 03:59 PM

Looks like a 2 year old.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Help on age - 08/22/21 04:49 PM

Summer necks are expected to be small but he has the teeniest neck ever. Same with the rack. Legs are real long compared to body. All that says young but his body actually has some thickness to it and he has some hock stainage. Hes not your typical looking deer for sure so its hard to say. At least 2 but hard for me to call him 4. Curious to see more pics and especially later on.
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Help on age - 08/23/21 12:27 AM

Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Help on age - 08/23/21 03:44 AM

That's a youngster. Leave him be. See what happens.

Re: Help on age - 08/23/21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Summer necks are expected to be small but he has the teeniest neck ever. Same with the rack. Legs are real long compared to body. All that says young but his body actually has some thickness to it and he has some hock stainage. Hes not your typical looking deer for sure so its hard to say. At least 2 but hard for me to call him 4. Curious to see more pics and especially later on.

That is the quandry. I originally thought post mature and on the way down but looking further he does look younger. Also he is smaller then the other bucks so leaning younger now as well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Help on age - 08/23/21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Old Smuggler
Originally Posted by freerange

That is the quandry. I originally thought post mature and on the way down but looking further he does look younger. Also he is smaller then the other bucks so leaning younger now as well.

Smaller body does not always mean he is younger. Some bucks are orphaned as a very young fawn and they may be able to barely survive. If they do survive the result is they are never large bodied as other bucks their same age class. I killed a very old post mature buck in South Texas one year, he field dressed either 75 or 79 lbs. He had no teeth left in his mouth and was a regular at a protein feeder. He looked his age up close on the ground but not at first glance in a trail cam pic. When I saw him person I knew right away he was very old. Mature bucks on this ranch would field dress from 165-195 depending on the time of the season they were killed.
The buck in the pics above is not in the mold of a 1.5 yr or 2.5 or 3.5 yr or etc age group. The big white rings around his eyes is what is throwing me off. His thicker body is another thing that makes me think he is a bit older than most think. Majority of people look at the antlers and think young deer. His neck line is more of a 2.5 yr old to 3.5 yr old...but if he is a runt for his age class then that will explain the smaller neck.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Help on age - 08/23/21 02:57 PM

No younger than 2.5 but could be even older. I'd say either 2.5 or 3.5 from these pics
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum