Texas Hunting Forum

No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise?

Posted By: shooterwalter

No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 05:27 PM

No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise?

I keep thinking if I could add a little noise maker to feeder it would bring in deer and pigs. I honk my horn for cattle, goats and horses. I blow my whistle for dogs and scream soooeee if I have a heard of pigs.

So what about a buzzer on feeder or tin panels for corn to hit.

Thanks in advance for your input .
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 05:30 PM

MAYBE. I'd be interested in hearing your results.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 05:33 PM

Eventually they would get used to it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 05:36 PM

Yes, feeder repeater was pretty useful in Hill country.

On my road feeder I attached tin near the spinner to make it louder
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 05:51 PM

Corn hitting my varmint cage must sound like a dinner bell to them. Yes, sound will attract deer once they learn what it is.
Posted By: tlk

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:11 PM

Totally - when a rancher honks his horn the cows are trained to come to him because they know it equals feed - deer are the same - I have put metal around my tailgate feeder and stand up feeders so the corn makes more noise when it is thrown
Posted By: dkershen

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:14 PM

Pavlovian Conditioning works for all animals. Including humans.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:15 PM

That's the only problem I have with varmint plates.. so little noise!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:18 PM

I managed a large HF ranch that had a huge herd of axis that were raised for the venison market. I used a coaches whistle to call them when I fed them daily in the winter time. I did not think much of it till I saw one of the neighboring hunters on a ridge with a video camera videoing me feeding one morning in deer season. All the axis, the few whitetails and red deer in that pasture would be in a mile stretch of road....1300-1500 head of them. It was quite a sight to see when those deer came running out of the brush right behind the feed buggy. I used the whistle to call them to feed so they would not chase a vehicle. I fed all the rest of the ranch roads with a road feeder while I managed that ranch. When the ranch was LF it would draw deer from as far as 1/2 mile from me off of the neighbors ranches. They heard the road feeder and saw the truck.
I could take a coffee can and throw feed out at the corn feeders or roads around blinds on my last place I lived on and the deer would come to that sound. I had a friend who fed deer out of his pickup with a coffee can/bag of corn for over 40 yrs. Those deer would step out of the brush into the roads when they heard him coming. He did it almost everyday of the year. You can take your feeder and alter it if you have a varmint cage. You can add some flashing on 2 or 4 of the sides for the corn to hit and bounce off of. I had a protein feeder right next to my corn feeders and corn hit it, making a lot of noise that deer could hear.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:41 PM

IIRC, there is a sound chip/download for game callers that sounds like a feeder going off. confused2
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:51 PM

Deer are pretty curious animals. I've looked up more than once while running a chainsaw and noticed deer standing there staring at me. Also have had them walk up to a stock tank to get a drink while I was steadily blasting away at doves.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:51 PM

A friend's parents had a place in the hill country. Every morning his mom would walk out into the meadow behind their house with a metal 1 gallon pale of corn. She'd scatter it on the ground about 100yds from the house then slap the bottom of the bucket slowly all the way back to the house. Within a minute or two there would be several deer out eating the corn while everyone sat in front of the large window-wall drinking coffee and eating breakfast.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/18/21 06:54 PM

Yes especially if they associate it with food.
Posted By: don k

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/19/21 01:58 AM

[Linked Image]
Yes the noise from a diesel Kubota will draw in deer.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/19/21 01:16 PM

I've watched deer run to a ranchers siren that he used to call in his cows. They either like the cubes or he was feeding them something too
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/19/21 02:32 PM

I was in a blind with my daughter one year and she was wanting to kill a doe to take back with her (last afternoon to hunt before she left). Feeder went off and couple of young bucks came in and promptly ate all the corn. We waited till about 30 minutes before dark for something else to show up and nothing was coming in. I climbed out of the blind and walked to the feeder, climbed up the ladder and took the top off. I grabbed two or three handfuls of corn and threw them against the barrel lid I was holding. buttoned everything back up, went back to the blind and within about 3 minutes, two doe walk out! banana
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/19/21 02:36 PM

They love the badboy feed buggy.
Posted By: Blank

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/20/21 08:00 PM

We have actually put a handful of gravel in a tin coffee can and rattled the heck out of it. Within minutes, deer were back checking the ground under the feeder!!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 02:08 AM

On dry years I’ve had deer run to the feeder

So yes, I’d say it can work
Posted By: majekman

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 03:52 AM

Used to help a friend on big sotex low fence ranch years ago. He’d drag feed trailer to feed roads and senderos while blasting Carlos Santana music....deer would come running like hungry dogs right up behind feed trailer but mostly all doe, yearlings and young bucks. One thing was he never shot any of those deer. And it would’ve been so easy but the docile behavior would’ve stopped if he had. Deer in general are very easily conditioned to sound
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by shooterwalter
No dumb questions right?

Wrong. People ask dumb questions all the time.
Posted By: tlk

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
We have actually put a handful of gravel in a tin coffee can and rattled the heck out of it. Within minutes, deer were back checking the ground under the feeder!!

lol - a buddy and me were heading to a stand one morning and our tailgate feeder would not work - so he poured the corn from the bag of out the buggy window while I shook a can with rocks in it - deer showed up just like normal
Posted By: 603Country

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 10:50 PM

Yep, they know what that feeder sound means. Same with my atv sound.

And I swear some of them have a wristwatch. The feeder goes off at 6:30, and they’ll come stand under it sometimes and wait patiently, while looking up at the spinner.
Posted By: freerange

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/21/21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

lol - a buddy and me were heading to a stand one morning and our tailgate feeder would not work - so he poured the corn from the bag of out the buggy window while I shook a can with rocks in it - deer showed up just like normal

Would of been a better learning experiment to of poured it out without the extra sound and see what happened.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/23/21 03:30 PM

I have a noise maker that sounds like a feeder going off and have had deer come to it where there is no feeder and have also had them come to an established feeder by making the noise maker go off. Putting tin around the feeder barrel will have a dinner bell effect, I am sure.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/24/21 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Corn hitting my varmint cage must sound like a dinner bell to them. Yes, sound will attract deer once they learn what it is.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/25/21 12:14 AM

Many thank you to those with constructive comments. Seems like it a needed accessory for all deer feeder .
Posted By: Klinker

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/26/21 02:06 AM

Really? Why would your way be a "better" experiment? The men were not experimenting...they were hunting.
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by tlk

Would of been a better learning experiment to of poured it out without the extra sound and see what happened.
Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/27/21 09:11 PM

Yep!
Posted By: jphunts6165

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/28/21 12:16 AM

Used to have a long sheet of white tin along back fence behind feeder. It was loud when corn hit it, but it also served as a backdrop for low light/ foggy conditions. You could easily distinguish between the shadow deer and actual movement. The older men liked this blind because it helped them to see a bit more clear and have more confidence. It also helped the hard of hearing to hear when the feeder went off.
Posted By: FullDraw55

Re: No dumb questions right? Will a noise draw deer ? Corn noise? - 08/28/21 06:31 PM

i have heard of hunters putting wind chimes on their feeders. when the feeder goes off it's like ringing the dinner bell..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum