Texas Hunting Forum

Spring Loaded Spinner plates?

Posted By: Marsh Monkey

Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/28/21 11:43 PM

With the High Prices of corn I'm looking to add spring loaded spinner plates to our feeders to attempt to reduce corn loss to cows and coons. The cows work our feeders over pretty good shaking allot of corn out. Last season they were jumping the feeder pen fences to get to feed due to really bad range conditions. Anyway, most of our feeder motors have 1/8" diameter shafts. The Eliminator brand spring loaded spinner plates only fit 1/4" shafts. I see the Spintech makes a spring loaded plate that will fit an 1/8" shaft and I also found the Harvant Pro Spring loaded spinner plate that will fit an 1/8" as well.

Anyone have experience with any of these 3 and if so how do you like them or how well do you think they work? I did try one of the Eliminator plates on the feeder the cows were working over the worst and it really worked well. I can modify the Eliminator to make them fit an 1/8" shaft but hate to put in extra work making sleeves if I don't have to. That is why I am looking at the Spintech and the Harvant.

Any feedback or suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 12:00 PM

If you have a coon problem they might do damage to that spinner style plate. If you have a varmint cage it will help a little more with that spinner plate. I used the Eliminator plates without varmint cages and they worked very well, but I also kept a Duke Dog proof trap or two at each feeder to work on the coon problem.
welcome
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 12:03 PM

welcome

We ran a dozen SpinTech feeders on a lease I was on. Feeders were the LO's, but we had to maintain them. I did a lot of the repairs. If you go SpinTech, buy extra shafts and collars and keep the worm gear lubed with lithium lube spray. They work great...until they don't.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 12:37 PM

Yep and the lithium grease is a big key. you have to utilize something with staying power.

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Yep and the lithium grease is a big key. you have to utilize something with staying power.

Hey, maybe I should try it on my...never mind. nidea
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 02:19 PM

I have used the eliminator plate for years and have not had any problems but I always spray them with WD-40 dry lube everytime I fill the feeders. Whatever you use, make sure it's a dry lube.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Hey, maybe I should try it on my...never mind. nidea

Can't believe you missed the cloud when it was on it way to Brady.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
If you have a coon problem they might do damage to that spinner style plate. If you have a varmint cage it will help a little more with that spinner plate. I used the Eliminator plates without varmint cages and they worked very well, but I also kept a Duke Dog proof trap or two at each feeder to work on the coon problem.
welcome

Yep, helps a lot. But not viable for folks that don't live on their property or can visit regularly.

I can check mine daily and they work great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/29/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

[Linked Image]

roflmao But see, this is the look that gets me. If they're snarling or squirreling around, I got no problem popping them. But this "Hey man, I'm real sorry for messing with your stuff and I promise - I'll never, ever bother it again" look is a real downer for me. I know they're lying, and I pop 'em anyway, but I don't like it. grin
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/30/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sidebuster
I have used the eliminator plate for years and have not had any problems but I always spray them with WD-40 dry lube everytime I fill the feeders. Whatever you use, make sure it's a dry lube.

What he said, you don't want the chain links to get stiff. Also if you have a 6 volt system it may not open up very well. I had to change to a 12 volts and it works well.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/30/21 01:43 AM

Between the 2 the spin-tech seems to be a lighter model than the eliminator. I have the eliminator which I like and it does save the corn, have never owned the spin-tech. As others have mentioned they do require good lubrication.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/30/21 02:54 AM

I have both Spin-tech and Eliminators, Eliminators have stronger springs but both work well. And neither are cheap to buy now.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 07/31/21 04:18 AM

I've got two of them in the field, both are on their third year. I noticed this past weekend one of them is pretty loose up toward the top. I haven't torn it apart yet to see if it can be repaired, but will have a replacement when I do just in case.
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Spring Loaded Spinner plates? - 08/01/21 02:43 AM

didnt think i had a coon problem till i bought some of those traps catch at least one a week end on 4 feed pens once it snaps on there foot its over, did have one chew hi leg off though
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum