Texas Hunting Forum

Weirdest thing to show up

Posted By: shark 25-06

Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 02:10 AM

What’s the weirdest thing that has showed up at your feeder? I have two. The weird one was a donkey showed up. No one had a donkey. Saw it once and never again. Had a Great Pyrenees show up and hang out for a good while. Strange part was no one around the place owns a Great Pyrenees. It was a slow hunt so watching the dog sniff around gave me a little entertainment.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 02:26 AM

I had a Dodge flatbed (with driver) show up on a trail camera last week. After a couple of hours with my paranoia going off the charts (and saying to myself "Of course it would be a Dodge,") I put together it was a lost cedar pushing contractor. laugh
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 02:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 03:16 AM

I don't think these guys have run across a game camera before.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 03:30 AM

The weirdest thing for me was an Axis. It apparently got out of the high fence place across the county road from us. It showed up on camera one day and no one ever saw it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 03:44 AM

Illegals.

Border Patrol chopper over feeder.

Border Patrol Officers on 4 wheelers.

Border Patrol Officers in a truck.

Not really weird, though.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 04:10 AM

I jumped a emu behind one of my feeders in east Texas once. Pulled up to check it and an emu popped up and ran off. Thought about shooting it for a split second.

The only other thing was we had a feeder that had a short in it, when the wind blew really hard it would move the barrel and it would go off if it touched just right. Had a bad windstorm one night and it must have spun constantly because the next morning there was about 100 lbs of corn laying on the ground.

About 8 am here comes a badger, he waddles up to the pile, goes spread eagle laying on his belly and eats corn for about an hour, then got up and waddled off.

No deer or pig wild come near that badger
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 11:37 AM

Bull elk from a local high fence place. I called the owner and he said I may as well shoot it. No way to catch it. Never saw it so, it moved on.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 11:42 AM

In NW Texas, Blackbuck doe, Sandhill crane and Red fox (at night). Down in South Texas - badger.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 11:57 AM

Porky pine on the Lambshead Ranch.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 01:04 PM

Note the rattlesnake in the last picture -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 02:17 PM

I hunt in East Texas, a deer!!!!!
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 02:28 PM

3 javelinas in Stephens County.....TPWD says they are not here. Never saw them before or after.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 03:01 PM

Couple of buffalo.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 03:02 PM

Years ago after emus became popular and the market later crashed, I had two walk up to my stand looking for someone to feed them. Not sure exactly how long they lasted in those East Texas Piney Woods.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/10/21 11:09 PM

I had a gopher find the corn last year, fun watching him pop up out of several differing holes grabbing corn.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 12:13 AM

Not really at my feeder but only 50 yards from it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gringocazador

roflmao
Posted By: tlk

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 01:24 AM

roflmao
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 02:22 AM

Somebody dumped off 3 pot belly pigs. They hung around the cows for some time. Wife taught them to eat Cheetos.
You could holler Cheetos and they would come running.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by JCB

[Linked Image]

Make a nice throw down rug JCB!
cheers

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 12:19 PM

I thought this one was pretty strange. He actually stayed around for about a month and ate a lot of corn! lol
[Linked Image]

I've also gotten pics of several rattlesnakes including a couple I ended up killing at the feeder.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 02:22 PM

northern Burnet county along Mesquite creek, early 2000s, no livestock on the place. early one morning, I start seeing something at the feeder as its breaking daylight that looked like a Charolais calf, as it got lighter, I realized it was some type of exotic as it was way too big for a whitetail in that area. I suspect it was a white fallow but not sure. A few days later across the creek I saw two more mixing in with several grown whitetail does at 3 different feeders but they were 8-10 inches taller than the WT at the shoulders. I knew nothing about free range exotics at the time.

another place northern Burnet county along the south Rocky creek around 2012. Heard something and looked out to see a porcupine waddle within a few feet of the stand. This was the first time I had ever seen one in central TX and I grew up there. Ugly little creature. He waddled on up to my feeder and ate for a bit. Later that same season I saw it up on top of a hill at a different feeder. At this same lease, there were free range Llama that showed up from time to time but no one in the area knew who they belonged to or where they came from.

SW Crockett county 2-3 years ago, late in the day as it was getting dusty dark, something shows up at the feeder pen but it was dark enough I couldn't exactly make out what it was but looked like a small version of a mountain lion. It was very dark in color, slender body, long tail, definitely not a coon and considerably larger than domestic house cat (plus not a house within 10+ miles). The LO and i believe it was a Jaguarundi passing thru from northern Mexico.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by JCB

[Linked Image]

Make a nice throw down rug JCB!
cheers

Good steak too!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

roflmao

That's not funny.........I hunt in East Texas also......however, I do believe it's true.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 04:03 PM

The Sabine River was out of its banks and we had water under the feeders. Had duck and coots under the feeders for a few weeks.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 04:52 PM

Some of those Emus you guys saw in East Texas might have originally been on my place since the guy who owned our place plus about 100 acres raised not only emus but had up to eight buffaloes and was known to everybody in that area of Houston County as Buffalo Bob. His son told me that when the market crashed he simply opened the gate and let the Emus out. They went into Davy Crockett National Forest.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 05:33 PM

Saw a coatimundi once. Diid a little research on their range and found kids in Mexico and Central/South America keep them as pets and as the family moves North and food gets scarce they start looking mighty good for the stew pot so the kids turn them loose to save them. I'm sure our local coyotes are thankful.

I have seen a few zebras and a camel once, but there's a "Joe Exotic" type place right down the road so no big surprise.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 06:41 PM

Not weird, but certainly amusing:

[Linked Image]Coyote and Raccoon
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 07:30 PM

WORD!

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 07:50 PM

Two river otters that showed up in the middle of the afternoon on a very hot August day last year in East Texas.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/11/21 09:09 PM

roflmao

clap lol35
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
Two river otters that showed up in the middle of the afternoon on a very hot August day last year in East Texas.

Just like you, except my son told me these were otters from the future based on the date.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 01:51 PM

After the great Emu bust, one of the local entrepreneurs just turned out about a dozen.
Said the lock on the gate got cut when thieves broke into his place.

For about a week, all I got on one game camera was what looked like a snake or stick.
I figured it was one of the family members messing with me on camera.
A later picture revealed an Emu looking right in the camera.

Also had one walk up on me while working on fence one day....scared the heck outta me!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Not weird, but certainly amusing:

[Linked Image]Coyote and Raccoon

That’s great
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 02:42 PM

5 porcupines 3 babies and 2 adults. They sure liked corn at that feeder.

Trespasser on a horse.

More recent deer and grey fox eating at the same time. Had 3 kits raised there and the little ones showed up there for about a year often. Was just han corning at that time about 60 yards from the back door

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 03:18 PM

3 coyotes and 4 coons around the feeder at the same time.......all eating corn.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 03:42 PM

Wasn't there a guy a couple years ago that posted here shot a Roan or Sable on a low fence place?
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/13/21 08:39 PM

Eagle feeding on a hog carcass, Scurry County.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/15/21 02:20 AM

I have had nutria show up at the corn feeder a couple of times when I was in the Hill Country. Also seen a Bald Eagle and a Golden Eagle fly over the corn feeder. Rattlesnake a couple of times. Dogs quite a few times. Sandhill Cranes quite a few times have shown up at the feeder.
Posted By: mow

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/16/21 02:34 PM

[Linked Image]
some kind of weird bird chicken
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/20/21 01:25 PM

Illegals picking up corn and trying to eat it on a ranch in West Texas.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 05/20/21 01:33 PM

Two aoudad. Weird because I live 5-6 miles outside of Denton.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/01/21 09:07 PM

Bump
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/01/21 10:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/01/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by First_Chance
[Linked Image]

#2 does not look like he's "just looking for a better life." What. A. Cluster. Thanks Joe.
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by BenBob
Illegals picking up corn and trying to eat it on a ranch in West Texas.

The last two corn feeders I had Ramball build for me I had him fix the lid where I could lock them. More than once I have had wet backs leave a lid open after they ate/took corn from it and believe it or not it rained. You know the rest of the story. It's messy.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 11:53 AM

I am seeing the same thing at my lease...

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 01:36 PM

Ridiculous
Posted By: majekman

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 03:11 PM

Years ago was turkey hunting on Guadalupe river bottom just outside of Seguin. I was calling and heard something breaking brush on the other side of a lil thicket I was against. I crept around the thicket and came face to face at about 15yds with a giant 6x6 elk. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds and both of us turned around and ran opposite directions. Scared the living life out of me....not sure about the elk
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by majekman
Years ago was turkey hunting on Guadalupe river bottom just outside of Seguin. I was calling and heard something breaking brush on the other side of a lil thicket I was against. I crept around the thicket and came face to face at about 15yds with a giant 6x6 elk. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds and both of us turned around and ran opposite directions. Scared the living life out of me....not sure about the elk

Nice!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/02/21 11:01 PM

One blackbuck, 2 fallow, 3 red deer and 2 of something the size of a whitetail but had a head like a goat.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/05/21 04:32 PM

Japanese snow monkey (close to Big Wells in the 90's) and Aoudad last year here in Breckenridge.
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/07/21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Japanese snow monkey (close to Big Wells in the 90's) and Aoudad last year here in Breckenridge.

We got our first aoudad on camera in Baird two years ago. been hunting the place for 15 years and its still the only one we've seen...
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/07/21 03:59 PM

I also had two Javelinas show up at the feeder when I hunted the Lambshead.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/07/21 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy

When I lived in South Texas years back. I recall two places that did research on Monkeys. One was around Orange Grove/Mathis, Texas. Not far from Lake Corpus Christi. If I recall all of those Monkeys got loose, 25-30 come to mind, but that was a long time ago.

A guy around San Diego Tx shot one, made the South Texas papers. That Monkey traveled a long ways, maybe 60 miles. The other place I recall driving by on my way to my deer lease outside Catarina in Dimmit Co. I recall some of those Monkys getting loose too.

Its a wonder as well as Snow Monkeys handle cold they didnt survive and hide out on those big ranches. Maybe they can't take the heat.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/07/21 05:58 PM

it is my understanding they are real mean
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/08/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
it is my understanding they are real mean

Nolan Ryan will tell you so.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/08/21 04:56 AM

Wood ducks are pretty normal under a few of our feeders but it’s still weird to see them.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 02:13 AM

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Wood ducks are pretty normal under a few of our feeders but it’s still weird to see them.

Wood Ducks like these?

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 02:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Wood Ducks like these?

I have the same Academy stand and fill deer feeder, I have two of them. But never seen a duck at a deer feeder. Same situation with deer sometimes too!!!
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 03:32 AM

[Linked Image]

Watched this guy on camera for 2 weeks and never seen again.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 04:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Wood Ducks like these?

Yes sir, ours waddle out of the creeks close by and feast, sometimes only 3-4 but other times there might be a dozen. Beautiful birds to watch,,
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 08:51 AM

Kangaroo in Eastland

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Kangaroo in Eastland

I think you won!!!
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 12:09 PM

Kangaroo pics!!??! Gotta see this
Posted By: MClark

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 01:52 PM

Kangaroo in Eastland

Last month I was driving through Oregon and saw a Red Kangaroo in a field. I thought I was seeing things and then remembered I was in Oregon. I stopped for gas a few miles later and the person who pumps the gas ( in Oregon there is no self service gas) said "Oh yeah, there’s a couple of them " like Roos are normal farm animals.

M
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 01:58 PM

When I lived in Portland my next door neighbor worked at a monkey research place over by Alice somewhere. From what he told me those things got out pretty regularly. I don't know what I would do if a snow monkey came walking out to my feeder.

Craziest thing i have personally seen at a feeder was a blind porcupine at my old mule deer lease in Iraan. I called him Yoda. He was there every day just hanging out.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 02:50 PM

As to monkeys... Late '80s early '90s there was a big monkey breeding facility outside of Dilly. They bred mostly Rhesus monkeys for medical research but there were a couple other breeds. They were one of the largest breeders for medical research in the country. When political correctness dictated no more animal research the company went bankrupt FAST.
Rather than put all the animals down they just opened the cages and turned them loose on South Texas. They got real good at getting into box blinds and setting up home. There were hundreds of reports of encounters and sightings.
After several reports and calls to GWs it was decided they were a non-native, invasive species. No season and no limit. Some of the ranches started offering monkey hunts.
PETA and liberal media heads exploded, it made national news.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
As to monkeys... Late '80s early '90s there was a big monkey breeding facility outside of Dilly. They bred mostly Rhesus monkeys for medical research but there were a couple other breeds. They were one of the largest breeders for medical research in the country. When political correctness dictated no more animal research the company went bankrupt FAST.
Rather than put all the animals down they just opened the cages and turned them loose on South Texas. They got real good at getting into box blinds and setting up home. There were hundreds of reports of encounters and sightings.
After several reports and calls to GWs it was decided they were a non-native, invasive species. No season and no limit. Some of the ranches started offering monkey hunts.
PETA and liberal media heads exploded, it made national news.

Exactly right. Monkey farm was at the end of Castro Rd just east of 35 in Millett.

I've known quite a few guys down there who've gotten the chit scared out of them opening up there blind early in the morning! lol

There are still plenty of animals that are used for testing though, especially pigs. A good friend has made a fortune selling them to these labs the last 15+ years and continues to. Makes about 2.5X as much as he can selling market hogs to the local markets.

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 07:36 PM

I couldn't remember where the Monkey place was, just remember driving by it. Although my lease other side of Catarina on the way to Carizo was a good ways off.

I do recall they turned them all out. Lots of rumors of Monkey's running around with all kinds virus's and etc. I moved from Calallen (West Side of Corpus) to Houston in 1989 and all that is now just a memory.

I miss South Texas, hunting in the Brush Country and bass fishing Falcon Lake. Oh well, job in the big city and things change.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/09/21 07:38 PM

Hamilton Co 10 years ago. They were around for a week or so, only got a couple other pics of them at night.

[Linked Image]

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 05:09 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: savoyspecial1

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 05:24 PM

235 acres free range by freer Texas. On camera everyday for about a month and then disappeared. Still kicking myself in the butt that I was not there to get it.

Attached picture D3298D03-14E4-4257-8492-8AD192CE7E88.jpeg
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by savoyspecial1
235 acres free range by freer Texas. On camera everyday for about a month and then disappeared. Still kicking myself in the butt that I was not there to get it.

I asked earlier in this thread that I recall someone on the forum posting a free range kill of a Roan or Sable...I wonder if it was that one.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 09:18 PM

I don't have a picture, girlfriend showed up Halloween at my apt. opened her coat, NAKED
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
I don't have a picture, girlfriend showed up Halloween at my apt. opened her coat, NAKED

That definitely beats the Russian satellite that a friend and I watched break apart as it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere one night while he and I were coon hunting. At first we thought it was the spray of fireworks until we could tell it was at an extreme altitude and wasn't burning out at the rate seen with fireworks. It wasn't until the next day that I heard a report on the radio that told me what we had seen. As best as I can remember it happened in the late 80's. Might have even been the one noted in the article below.

Link

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 10:03 PM

Cherish those moments young man. up

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/28/21 11:10 PM

Kangaroo in Eastland

Are you sure it wasn't a giant jack rabbit?

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 06/29/21 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Cherish those moments young man. up

Yes do, they disappear quickly
Posted By: GrantW

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/03/21 11:19 AM

Peacock…

Really wanted to kill it and then show up at the local taxi and play dumb, act like
I thought it was some sort of exotic turkey

Attached picture F66FAE37-322D-4006-A57D-5252CE14F673.jpeg
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/05/21 03:47 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/05/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dude Lebowski
[Linked Image]

I have heard that a bears favorite meal is a droptine buck..... bolt

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/05/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]

That’s not funny! 🤬🙄🙃

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/06/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]

That’s not funny! 🤬🙄🙃

peep
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/06/21 12:24 AM

What county were those bears in?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/06/21 01:46 AM

[Linked Image]

Now that's a strong feeder.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/06/21 02:48 AM

Finally showed up during the day earlier this spring… after they dropped their antlers.😩

[Linked Image]

Charlie

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/10/21 01:54 AM

Val Verde
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/10/21 11:45 AM

[Linked Image]

That's impressive cub recruitment. Don't see three very often

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/10/21 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
[Linked Image]

That's impressive cub recruitment. Don't see three very often

According to research....drop tine whitetail bucks are the highest protein venison of all the bucks. peep
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/15/21 02:07 AM

A US Army Bradley

[Linked Image]

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/15/21 02:15 AM

roflmao Um, I don't think I'd shoot at that one.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/15/21 12:44 PM

roflmao Um, I don't think I'd shoot at that one.

We can start a long thread discussing if a 223 Remington is enough gun, with proper shot placement.

M

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/15/21 04:22 PM

Head shot only on that one!!

Re: Weirdest thing to show up - 07/15/21 04:35 PM

I don’t know about shooting at it but I’d like to shoot from it clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum