Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas is...

Posted By: redchevy

South Texas is... - 04/11/21 06:25 PM

CRISPY!

Filled corn and protein feeders and water stations this weekend. The freeze hit some of the brush pretty hard I think and so far spring has been dry.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: South Texas is... - 04/11/21 07:23 PM

Yep, dry as hell here, already.

May be a long summer.
Posted By: don k

Re: South Texas is... - 04/11/21 08:37 PM

It is getting bad here. Tanks are drying up.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: South Texas is... - 04/11/21 08:57 PM

Was 100 degrees in pearsall on Thursday.

We need rain bad

Re: South Texas is... - 04/11/21 09:53 PM

Not sure what killed it but we found a skeleton of an indigo, not sure if he froze or what.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 11:35 AM

Way too warm and dry for this time of year

Pray for rain fellas
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 01:17 PM

Yup. Already seeing a lot of roadside grass fires. If we don’t get some substantial rain soon, it’s going to be bad. Lakes are way down as well.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 07:00 PM

Not looking good so far.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 08:28 PM

I'm afraid that this spring and summer will be dry for south Texas. Our ranch is southern Atascosa county desperately needs rain. I have to haul water to fill the water guzzlers around the ranch. Tanks are less than 1/2 full (some just a 1/4 full.) We will be feeding protein as well as corn until the rains come.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 08:33 PM

I was at a ranch in Webb co. two weeks ago and it looks terrible with no resemblance of a spring season.
Many of the tanks are dry. The guajillo and blackbrush is still brown from the freeze but not dead as the limbs are not brittle. There was no grass or forbes as could be expected as there is no ground moisture to make anything grow. The only thing green was mesquite and p. pear. The prickly pear still has some moisture in it but it won't be long before the pads get really thin and leathery.
Tough times for the animals in that area.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: South Texas is... - 04/12/21 09:27 PM

Not just South Texas. Montague County and areas to the North and North West are being officially considered abnormally dry. Stock tanks are just about to be in trouble.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: South Texas is... - 04/16/21 01:38 PM

Pray for rain!
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: South Texas is... - 04/16/21 01:46 PM

...every day.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: South Texas is... - 04/16/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Not looking good so far.

We've been getting pretty regular rains....thankfully!

I know south and west are suffering right now. Hopefully spring rains will move their direction.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: South Texas is... - 04/16/21 10:49 PM

We're lucky last 2 days we got 2.5" of rain. North Texas is green.
Cross your fingers things change.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: South Texas is... - 05/01/21 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Not just South Texas. Montague County and areas to the North and North West are being officially considered abnormally dry. Stock tanks are just about to be in trouble.

They are all overflowing now up here! Standing water everywhere. We had 5 inches in 2 days.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: South Texas is... - 05/01/21 02:37 PM

More to come today

Re: South Texas is... - 05/03/21 03:50 PM

At the house we had 5.5 inches. Had 4.7 on the place we are building on. Not sure what the ranch got.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: South Texas is... - 05/03/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
At the house we had 5.5 inches. Had 4.7 on the place we are building on. Not sure what the ranch got.

That area got around 1-2" from my reports around Benevidas

Re: South Texas is... - 05/03/21 04:34 PM

Hope we got some of it, we usually need 2 inches + before the tank will catch anything.

Re: South Texas is... - 05/04/21 11:42 AM

Well, after being so dry since early September we got another .80" last night, although it came with hail larger than tennis balls. bang
We were absolutely slammed back April 19, 2016 by a worse hail storm but this one had some large ones in it as well. My son found one about an hour after it had stopped larger than these in the pic below after it had been melting for a good while. Most of it was marble to golf ball sized but there were many like the ones below as well. The true blessing I think was we didn't have the bad wind like in 2016 and that spared the windows of the house unlike then. It did break my windshield in 2 or 3 spots on my old chevy duramax and put a bunch more dents in our standing seam metal roof. I'm more worried about what it did to the roof of our 5th wheel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: South Texas is... - 05/04/21 11:49 AM

Ouch! Guessing I had better buckle up.

Re: South Texas is... - 05/04/21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Well, after being so dry since early September we got another .80" last night, although it came with hail larger than tennis balls. bang
We were absolutely slammed back April 19, 2016 by a worse hail storm but this one had some large ones in it as well. My son found one about an hour after it had stopped larger than these in the pic below after it had been melting for a good while. Most of it was marble to golf ball sized but there were many like the ones below as well. The true blessing I think was we didn't have the bad wind like in 2016 and that spared the windows of the house unlike then. It did break my windshield in 2 or 3 spots on my old chevy duramax and put a bunch more dents in our standing seam metal roof. I'm more worried about what it did to the roof of our 5th wheel.

[Linked Image]

Dang, I forgot about you, your area got hit pretty hard I think. We live just off 1604 by half a mile outside. People just across 1604 from us less than a 1/2 mile away were getting golf ball size hail we didnt even get rain. Hope the best for yall, I saw a lot of pictures of some huge hail stones from the area. Huge to me anyway.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: South Texas is... - 05/04/21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Ouch! Guessing I had better buckle up.

I’ll bet your busier than a one legged waitress at IHOP Hud!

Re: South Texas is... - 05/05/21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Dang, I forgot about you, your area got hit pretty hard I think. We live just off 1604 by half a mile outside. People just across 1604 from us less than a 1/2 mile away were getting golf ball size hail we didnt even get rain. Hope the best for yall, I saw a lot of pictures of some huge hail stones from the area. Huge to me anyway.

Yeah, we got hit pretty hard again just like 2016 only not nearly as many of the baseball sized and bigger.

Very glad to hear it didn't get you guys.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum